SNK 40th Anniversary = Shitload of Fuck

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
I picked this up for Switch after looking forward to it for a few months. I'm a big Neo Geo fan, as well as a big fan of older games - particularly older arcade games.

Aside from the presentation which is nice, and save for a few crashes, and screen-tearing (my first Switch game to crash and screen-tear), the actual games are absolute garbage.

First thing, they are nigh-on impossible to beat, let alone enjoy. Even using tool assist many of the games are fucking atrocious in terms of difficulty.

Alpha Mission / ASO on both arcade and NES are fucking IMPOSSIBLE! Let alone just repetitive shit games anyways.

Ikari warriors on NES is absolutely fucked, and the arcade version as well is so damn difficult that it's hard to find any fun in it. Again, this is with using tool assist!

This is the first game that I have played in decades that has made me want to pull out the cart and whip it across the room and throw my switch against the wall - brings back memories, sure, but not the memories I'm tryna have.

Games I do like on the cart: Prehistoric Isle, P.O.W., ... That's about it.

Fuck you SNK cunts.

And yah, before you say that I gotta "gitgud"... You need to post a pic of you beating the game to have any credibility.

c38d3b14d6180f06011d9f5c5984a019d6e1ca55170ad55cc5a7b5736da2d9f9.jpg

Fett

Camel Slug
If you're such a big Neo Geo fan why did you buy an anthology of Pre-NG SNK games?

Try using the rewind feature, or watch mode if the games are too tough for you.

As far as anthology collections go, this one is pretty solid. Namco Museum Arcade pac too.

Last edited:

c0nn0r

10 Year Member
If you're such a big Neo Geo fan why did you buy an anthology of Pre-NG SNK games?

Gee, I wonder. Perhaps a fan of Neo Geo might want to experience the history of the company that made it? It's almost as if I mentioned I was into older arcade games in general.

Try using the rewind feature, or watch mode if the games are too tough for you.

You mean the tool assist that I mentioned I was using? Watch mode is nothing more than an aggregate of a tool assisted playthrough. If you had watched it yourself you would see the player accomplishing impossible feats - which I can do as well with a tool assist, but that does not make the game suddenly playable, fair, or fun.

As far as anthology collections go, this one is pretty solid. Namco Museum Arcade pac too.

Yes, it's a solid anthology, shame the games are crap. I have the Namco museum. It is very good. The games themselves are quite playable and fair in their difficulty. Very possible to 1CC any of them, unlike Ikari Warriors or Alpha Mission. Nintendo Switch Online NES collection is also another incredible anthology. Good fun games that play fair. Neither the Namco or NES anthologies exhibit any crashing or screen tearing like the SNK pile of crap.

Is this video of an adult baby weaboo supposed to sway my opinion? I feel sorry for you son if you are looking to this guy for balanced, rational opinion. Dude should have taken out that god awful eyebrow piercing 20 years ago.

Last edited:

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
I have held off buying this collection due to knowing that some of these early games are highly frustrating and not much fun to revisit. This thread definitely confirms these thoughts.

Fett

Camel Slug
Well, if you don't like the games, you don't like the games. I guess the best thing to do is a little research before you throw down 40 bucks on a bunch of old games you've never played in the first place. Maybe there will be a game or two you like in the 11 free games they're adding in the December DLC.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Despite how difficult these games could be, I think it's great a lot of them finally got arcade ports. That's what matters.

c0nn0r

10 Year Member
Well, if you don't like the games, you don't like the games. I guess the best thing to do is a little research before you throw down 40 bucks on a bunch of old games you've never played in the first place. Maybe there will be a game or two you like in the 11 free games they're adding in the December DLC.

Playing the games was research! $40 is not a big deal to me, and I can sell it if I like (bought physical). I'll probably keep it though and achieve huge collector gainz in 10 years.

c0nn0r

10 Year Member
Despite how difficult these games could be, I think it's great a lot of them finally got arcade ports. That's what matters.

I'm with you there. I'm 100% for getting the games out there for people to experience. I'm just disappointed that some of the included games are a "shitload of fuck" in terms of gameplay. There are a few in the collection that are actually fun, so I'll stick with those. I'm looking forward to playing Crystalis as I hear it's quite good.

Ir0n

n00b
Crystalis is amazing, I found a copy at a flea market a few years ago and I beat it over the next weekend.
Sucks that you're getting crashing though I haven't heard anyone cover that in reviews..then again most are probably playing it for 2 seconds and putting it away after.

Lee_Rekka

Mr. Big's Thug
I love this collection, been playing the shit out of Psycho Soldier and Vanguard. I don't need to be able to 1cc every game to justify if the game is good or have fun with it.

c0nn0r

10 Year Member
I love this collection, been playing the shit out of Psycho Soldier and Vanguard. I don't need to be able to 1cc every game to justify if the game is good or have fun with it.

Yes, a 1CC is not necessary, but I'd like it to be possible. Some of the games on the collection are so difficult that it's nearly impossible to beat even with unlimited continues and tool assist. How is that more fun that frustrating?

Give Alpha Mission a play on both arcade and NES and tell me you enjoy it. Same for Ikari Warriors.

Lee_Rekka

Mr. Big's Thug
Yes, a 1CC is not necessary, but I'd like it to be possible. Some of the games on the collection are so difficult that it's nearly impossible to beat even with unlimited continues and tool assist. How is that more fun that frustrating?

Give Alpha Mission a play on both arcade and NES and tell me you enjoy it. Same for Ikari Warriors.

Played them both and had fun doing so. sometimes I just use 1 credit and see how far I can get, other times i'll credit feed, either way its fun to me, and I love this collection.

Lee Gray

SSVS Special Plz..., Buying & Selling that, Never
I dont mind the old basic games like asteroid and pacman and phoenix but old games that tried to be more variety with better graphics just didnt work alot of the time like with some of these