Looking To Get Into Either MSX Or C64.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
What say you lads? Had C64 as a kid but very tempted by MSX.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
c64 mini

The good MSX2 games are fooking expensive.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
They have multi-cart solutions for the MSX/2 but the thing that gets me about it is that it doesn't even support screen scrolling.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
They have multi-cart solutions for the MSX/2 but the thing that gets me about it is that it doesn't even support screen scrolling.

You’re correct that the original MSX doesn’t support screen scrolling, but the MSX2 does. And a lot of the best Konami scrolling games have now been patched by the community to support the scrolling hardware. Do some YouTube searches on Salamander Enhanced and Nemesis 3 Enhanced for examples. And using a flash cart like the MegaFlashRom makes it easy to run the patched upgrades and translated games as well.

OP, I recommend the MSX over the C64 if you’re interested in some Japanese developed gems from companies like Konami and Compile. The MSX got unique entires in the Metal Gear, Snatcher, Golvelius, and Aleste series. The home brew scene is strong too with some good recent releases from Kai Magazine Software, among others. There’s fun expansion options like stronger audio processors and the ability to run Sega Master System ROMs as well. Just be sure to go for a late-model rig like a MSX2+.

The Commodore 64 has some good games as well, but mostly from US and European developers. I personally feel the Japanese were ahead in game quality on 8 bit games from the 80s, but that’s just IMHO.

Last edited:

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Similar to STC, I'd recommend the MSX to discover the history of Japanese game developing. The C64 I recommend for everything else: the SID+Tim Follin, Braybrook+the whole Hewson gang, oddballs like Matthew Smith... but you probably know that already, since you had the Brotkasten* as a kid.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I have nothing to add to this thread... except for...

TAKUMAJI! Where are you!!!!

xROTx

PS. For years I've been telling him these 8 & 16bit machines are silly... How daft do I feel right now eh?:(

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Get into wood work or something, Gutsy. These old dinosaur computers are fucken painful. If you feel like having a go they are good emulated on a pc.

fake

15 Year Member
MSX, as long as you're OK with playing the games on a flash cart.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Get into wood work or something, Gutsy. These old dinosaur computers are fucken painful. If you feel like having a go they are good emulated on a pc.

Good advice.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
If you decide on MSX, I have a refurbed Sony with a flash cart.

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
That sounds like a decent deal. I've always wanted to try out the Labyrinth game on MSX but it's quite rare/expensive.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
I wasn’t aware there was a MSX flashcart. In terms of hardware what would be the ideal setup to play most games? A MSX2? A madman special?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I wasn’t aware there was a MSX flashcart. In terms of hardware what would be the ideal setup to play most games? A MSX2? A madman special?

Yeah, as mentioned above, a MSX2+ is the way to go. From memory, the later Sony models were some of the best to scoop. Tak knows way more about this shit though, he advised me when I bought mine.

fake

15 Year Member

The consensus is that the best unit is Panasonic's FS-A1, which is an MSX2. I have one and the build quality is nice and the composite output is perfectly fine. (Mine was refurb'd by the seller, so I'm not sure if older, non-serviced units have any issues with build and whatnot.) For the flash carts, get the one with the most expansion RAM. Should be about $150 shipped from EU.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
I suggest you get both.

If you can only have one go with the Commodore 64. I have both and I find myself using the C64 quite a bit more. It has a larger library of games and I enjoy visiting the various Bulletin Boars that are still in operation.

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Yeah, as mentioned above, a MSX2+ is the way to go. From memory, the later Sony models were some of the best to scoop. Tak knows way more about this shit though, he advised me when I bought mine.

I can vouch for the Hit-Bit HB-F1XDJ MK2. It's a solid system. Just expect to replace the drive belt when you get one.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,

The consensus is that the best unit is Panasonic's FS-A1, which is an MSX2. I have one and the build quality is nice and the composite output is perfectly fine. (Mine was refurb'd by the seller, so I'm not sure if older, non-serviced units have any issues with build and whatnot.) For the flash carts, get the one with the most expansion RAM. Should be about $150 shipped from EU.

Cool beans. Thanks for the info! The MSX has been a System I’ve always been interested in, but never knew where to start.

ShootTheCore

Genam's Azami Sharpener
An MSX Turbo R is the priciest model, but there’s some homebrew games and Enhancement patches for older titles that harness the extra horsepower of that model for less flicker, smoother scrolling, and less slowdown. Just something to consider.

That’s the route I went personally with my Panasonic A1ST and MegaFlashRom flash cart. Both have been fantastic so far.

There’s also a few MSX2+ models like the Panasonic A1FX that have a Turbo Mode for speeding up the CPU and smoothing out the games that support it. Take a look at the Hardware section of the MSX Wiki on MSX.org - there’s a gold mine of information.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Yeah, MSX has the games I want to play. I have a Panasonic A1F. The games were not expensive when we got it 10 years ago. You can get RGB cables so you don't have to use composite.