Home clothes washer testimony's?

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Most front loaders are POS belt driven, those will break in a few years. If you must insist on a FL, get a direct drive (I believe LG makes one).

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
I got married so I would never have to answer a question like this. I have nothing to add here.

I can talk about lawn mowers or drinking beer if you want though.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Check out the Maytag top loader washer
Model #MVWC465HW
or something similar.

I'm pretty sure I've settled on Maytag, probably getting the MVWB865GW.

https://www.shermansinc.com/products/Maytag/may/mvwb865gw.html

and the dryer:

https://www.shermansinc.com/products/Maytag/may/medb835dw.html

You ever try running bleach through it?

...yes, and then some. We've ran many cleaning cycles through it, the unit discharge water still smells like straight up sewer gas.

I know this is all super exciting shit...but you gotta wash your clothes...

I did research Speed Queen...it seems that their older units are tanks and will damn near last a lifetime. Sadly, their 2018 units seem like real garbage. They rate horribly and even the SQ faithful don't like them.

I got married so I would never have to answer a question like this. I have nothing to add here.

My wife isn't an appliance gal, I need to deal with all of that. We did get a new mower this year, nice and simple. I got a Troy Built push mower with a Honda engine. The overpriced, over complicated, problem prone John Deere we had before that was a never ending pile of repairs, I wanted something more simplistic.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
100%...we've had a Frigidaire front load for years now. For the most part, it has worked well, but they are filthy machines. Even with tons of cleaning and maint, they still mold and the discharge from the unit just flat out smells like sewer gas. We've done everything we can to clean the unit (including taking it apart)...it still stinks. This is why we're replacing it with the a different, top loading unit.

Gross, I never knew that was a problem. I've got some not-quite-bottom of the line top loader and I marvel how after 5 years the inside is still shiny like new, despite me not really doing anything special other than running an empty wash cycle to rinse it out once in a while.

Last edited:

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
I did research Speed Queen...it seems that their older units are tanks and will damn near last a lifetime. Sadly, their 2018 units seem like real garbage. They rate horribly and even the SQ faithful don't like them.

I love my Speed Queen washer and dryer, but they're probably 4 or 5 years old at this point. I'm not familiar with the current models, but that's a shame if they've gone downhill so quickly.

smokehouse

I was Born This Ugly.,
15 Year Member
Gross, I never knew that was a problem. I've got some not-quite-bottom of the line top loader and I marvel how after 5 years the inside is still shiny like new, despite me not really doing anything special other than running an empty wash cycle to rinse it out once.

With our unit, it's the rubber gasket that is between the wash tub and the frame, it's really deep and holds a on of residual mess. The other issue is that the water drains down, through a small pump, and up to the top of the frame before exiting. This leaves water in the pump and discharge tube at all times, there's literally no way to drain or clean any of it. after 1000's of washes, it just gets disgusting.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
So you stack a dryer on top of the top loader and lift the dryer when you want to load the top loader?

How do you not understand this?

white-whirlpool-laundry-centers-wet4024hw-64_1000.jpg

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Why you explain this, mate? We should never explain anything to each other. Never.

Well, he's an Aussie. Just trying to help him attain a basic level of real life education. Most other members I would've pointed to the GOOGLE. FUNCTION.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
We got a nice Samsung one, probably 5+years now and still working great.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member

My wife insisted on a top loader. For what it's worth.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
lach don't sweat it cobba i didn't know wtf two toploading machines are either and turns out it just looks like a poor person's washing machine

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
lach don't sweat it cobba i didn't know wtf two toploading machines are either and turns out it just looks like a poor person's washing machine

:lolz:

It's not even stacking them, that's just mounting the dryer above the top loader!

sr20det510

Guerilla Warrior
I'm pretty sure I've settled on Maytag, probably getting the MVWB865GW.

https://www.shermansinc.com/products/Maytag/may/mvwb865gw.html

and the dryer:

https://www.shermansinc.com/products/Maytag/may/medb835dw.html

...yes, and then some. We've ran many cleaning cycles through it, the unit discharge water still smells like straight up sewer gas.

I know this is all super exciting shit...but you gotta wash your clothes...

My wife isn't an appliance gal, I need to deal with all of that. We did get a new mower this year, nice and simple. I got a Troy Built push mower with a Honda engine. The overpriced, over complicated, problem prone John Deere we had before that was a never ending pile of repairs, I wanted something more simplistic.

That's what I have the one with a big tub, could it find the model number at Lowes site, but I bought it there.

One last thing, these things are slower overall than in the past.

goombakid

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
I just got brand new Kenmore Elite front loading washer and dryer. Love them.

Definitely go top loader. Front loading washers from the past 10 years are highly susceptible to black mildew growing everywhere.

The problem causing that was people not letting air circulate to properly dry that shit. I've have 2 front loaders, both never had the problem of mildew or smells. I just leave the door open for a few. It's in my laundry room, so even if I leave it opened for days, IDGAF. My older one still runs like a champ, gave that one to my MIL when we moved. The washer I have now has a magnet that keeps the door open enough to get air circulating through the drum. No mold or stinky smells for a year. Besides, there is a product you can use every 6 months to clean washers, or you can use straight bleach.

The biggest drawback to front loaders is that they're heavy as shit. If I move again, I'm either having pro movers move my washer and dryer or just letting the new home owner keep them.

To each their own, though.