PS5 rumors

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
https://www.playstationlifestyle.net/2018/11/16/playstation-5-release-date-psvr-2-anthem-delay/amp/

Tldr:

March or November 2020
$500
Built-in PSVR2 component
No bloodborne 2 :(
Late ps4 games will get ps5 versions, rdr2, tlou2, death stranding, anthem and ghost of tsushima

Last one is worrying, there better be BC (leaker says he doesn't know).

March 2020 is too soon, would mean it gets announced around the middle of next year and with Sony skipping E3 which happens around June, I can't foresee this happening.
Late PS4 games reaching PS5 is almost a given. Typical copout.
I would bet PSVR2 is going to be a central figure for Sony, just hope it doesn't equate to being their version of the Kinect.
Bloodborne 2 could happen further down the line.
500 dollars sounds believable but 400-450 dollars is a lot more attractive, big reason why the PS4 was such a success from the start.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
500 dollars sounds believable but 400-450 dollars is a lot more attractive, big reason why the PS4 was such a success from the start.

Yes, the new business model seems to be the launch of a cheaper architecture and recollecting later with a pimped "pro" version of the same. Though the E3 skip is rather a sing, that they plan to release it early, with an announcement already next year, hence the skipping this time. Well, it's all speculation.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Yes, the new business model seems to be the launch of a cheaper architecture and recollecting later with a pimped "pro" version of the same. Though the E3 skip is rather a sing, that they plan to release it early, with an announcement already next year, hence the skipping this time. Well, it's all speculation.

Remember PS3 releasing 3 different variations of the same system at the same time? That was kind of ridiculous un hindsight.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
The PS4 I think is the last new console that I purchase. If they make it BC, maybe when the price drops to $250 or something. I'm getting a little annoyed with accumulating consoles. First world problems.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
No bloodborne 2 :(
Between that and the fact that the Uncharted series is over, that's a hard pass for me. As soon as I upgrade my GPU, I'll already have better hardware than will be in the PS5, and Bloodborne and Uncharted 4 are really the only reasons I had a PS4. I'm looking forward to The Last of Us 2, but an upgraded version isn't going to sell me a $500 console.

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
March 2020 is too soon, would mean it gets announced around the middle of next year and with Sony skipping E3 which happens around June, I can't foresee this happening.

My impression is that they're skipping E3 specifically to make a big splash by announcing the PS5 in June. (Edit: Which would put its release in Q2 2020, so that timeframe makes sense IMO.)

I'd be shocked if there wasn't full BC for the PS5. The PS4 relies almost solely on off-the-self PC parts and I don't see why they would shift away from this for the PS5. It's not like the PS3, which had a weirdo CPU that couldn't be reproduced easily, or the 360 which was PPC-based vs the Xbone which is x64-based.

Last edited:

Yoshi

20 Year Member
“Remasters” should be extremely easy as well, because any games with 4K textures for the Pro should be able to run better with just pure horsepower, unless they were really poorly developed. I say “remasters,” because I’m with fake that they will more likely be like the X enhanced One BC games.

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
Gut check now, tells me I won't be purchasing a PS5 next year. Haven't been into many games this generation despite having both an Xbone and PS4. Season passes, loot boxes, not to mention bad cluttered box art have left me more and more disinterested. I bought Red Dead 2 played 3 hours then dropped it and played Shining Force on Sega for 2 weeks.

kuze

Sultan of Slugs
10 Year Member
PS5 will probably be needed for the best console experience with Cyberpunk 2077.

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
Better get a Moog before they move production to China :lolz:

dem tariffsss

Agreed K-2. I've been enjoying Read Dead but just feel like I'm done with new consoles for all the reasons you state. That plus I can't justify another box under the TV for one big title every year.

fake

15 Year Member
Gut check now, tells me I won't be purchasing a PS5 next year. Haven't been into many games this generation despite having both an Xbone and PS4. Season passes, loot boxes, not to mention bad cluttered box art have left me more and more disinterested. I bought Red Dead 2 played 3 hours then dropped it and played Shining Force on Sega for 2 weeks.

PS5 will probably be needed for the best console experience with Cyberpunk 2077.

Yeah, I've been able to avoid the current generation with the exception of the Switch, if that even counts. Back in the previous gen - and especially the 128-bit gen - it seemed like an awesome game was coming out every few weeks. These days, most games just don't appeal to me. That said, there is a large handful that I will play once I get a PS4 (or PS5 if I'm that swayed by Cyberpunk 2077 like Kuze mentioned).

Spoiler:

Battle Garegga
Bloodborne
Bound
Dark Souls 3
Dangun Feveron
Fallout 4
Final Fantasy XV
Gravity Rush
Last Guardian (meh)
Metal Gear Solid 5
Monster Hunter: World
Nier Automata
Odin Sphere
Transformers: Devastation
Watch Dogs 2 (meh)
Witcher 3

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
I think the PS4 will be the last of the current consoles for me also. I only bought a PS4 last Christmas and have spent virtually no time with it. Tired of the constant upgrade hassle every time I want to play something. I'm glad for new content but my internet just isn't good enough for these huge updates. I just bought GT Sport and it took 3 days off and on to get it up to the current version.

Soundwave GI

Rugal's Thug
I'll end up getting it, because all they need is one good first party title and I need it for that. It's the only reason I own a switch. But just having the hardware to play any game that might come out is how I go. The mid-gen console refreshes are annoying, but not necessarily bad, these days. I'm just hoping MS and Sony learned their lesson about backwards compatibility over the last couple generations. They've pumped more money into backwards compatibly via software emulation or streaming than just adding it up front...MS in particular. Should be easier this time w x86. $400 would be a good price point, but not at the cost of features. Also hoping their VR will be wireless by then.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
My impression is that they're skipping E3 specifically to make a big splash by announcing the PS5 in June. (Edit: Which would put its release in Q2 2020, so that timeframe makes sense IMO.

My first guess was that they want MS to lay their cards first before finalizing decisions for the PS5 (specs, features, launch date and price) and announcing them on a later date. I think they basically want to emulate the headstart the PS4 got over XB1 this gen as closely as possible.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
My first guess was that they want MS to lay their cards first before finalizing decisions for the PS5 (specs, features, launch date and price) and announcing them on a later date. I think they basically want to emulate the headstart the PS4 got over XB1 this gen as closely as possible.

It could blow up in their faces. I get the feeling people at large are not loyal to any one system these days,.mostly whatever fits with their lifestyle.
M$ is buying up third parties and is setting up the playfield for the next round - strong rumour abound that a digital download only XOne is to bbe announced. That to me is Microsoft testing the waters for the next gen strategy.
Also OneX setting the bar higher might be MS creating the precedent for what is to come. It does not work for them to be seen as the makers of the weaker system, especially in this age of PC master race dominance.

fake

15 Year Member

Sure, but that doesn't mean they can't announce the PS5. When the PS4 was announced and they didn't have a chassis design to show off. They could easily have a big circle jerk event without even revealing specs beyond "The most powerful gaming platform ever" and have short demos of Cyberpunk and tech demos.