are anime high school themed games too big to fail overall?

saner

Krauser's Henchman
I dunno, how come the mainstream and devs don't aim for realistic ninja games instead of anime this, or westernized that.

it seems like anime high school theme is still overall used (and overall misused and wasted), but people flock to anime high school games cause the general theme is I guess relatable or something to some degree, but no developer really does it right.

well ok there's Rival Schools, but capcom neglected and abandoned that series, plus the best version with best features and modes is exclusive to Japan.

though overall, high school anime games really are wasted yet so easy to make money off of compared to ninja games that are NOT Naruto/Boruto.

and that Sekiro game is done wrong.

like, what happened to the Tenchu games, and the aim for more realistic immersive ninja games? meanwhile, westerners are having a field day with AAA westerners and western influenced cyberpunk games,

but the ninjaness is really not utilized as much as it should. and no, Samurai Warriors is not appropriate, cause thats diluted and not true realistic Japanese themed scenario (plus ninjas are very few there).

and ninja gaiden is a one trick pony. there's so much potential for the ninja genre but no dev utilizes it, and even games that aimed for more authentic ninja ness, like Tenchu, goes ignored and not appreciated. well of course even Tenchu is not like Siren level of realism, but it sure is nearer to that side of the spectrum than animeish tropes.

so it is bizarre that anime high school themes are used so much, and at sametime they are not really done right. they are basically waifu simulators or some sort of gimmick that has no true replay value. and anime high school themes are in visual novels, all the way to RPGs and stuff, but they still are not done right and mostly pander to one demographic.

so yea like its weird. schools are generally hell, why would mainstreamers be hyped for games centered on school anyways. even if its a school with fights in it, its like, so basic compared to the world of ninjas.

so like, I dunno, its like anime high school games just are cheap cash grabs that don't please everyone anyways. and ninja games are underutilized and then there are devs that aim low with their projects that they just make shovelware ninja games.

there's like no genuine new ninja games that all want to play overall. but there's extreme amounts of western themed games and anime school games.......

so like wtf. the industry sure is messed up and lacking talent and lacking better ideas, even for the genres that are supposedly mainstream and in demand.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
As long as there are high school kids in Japan who play video games, there will be high school anime and games sold to high school kids in Japan.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The fuck?

Last edited:

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Thank goodness Golgo13 never got the high school theme treatment, although it would be fun to see him take a job where the lunch lady was a target.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I never got into any of that High School anime stuff. Naruto or whatever else people are into nowadays.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Thank goodness Golgo13 never got the high school theme treatment, although it would be fun to see him take a job where the lunch lady was a target.

Only if she was smoking hot and had a couple good sex scenes before the eventual assassination. Gotta love Golgo 13.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
As long as there are high school kids in Japan who play video games, there will be high school anime and games sold to high school kids in Japan.

but the thing is, it is a hot theme to adults too.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
High School Girl Anime isn't made for High School Girls, it's made for perverts.

thats really not true for all. even hybrid genres like Pretty Cure, which have middle school/high school on the side, are made for girls first.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member

i can totally see duke togo running with a toast in his mouth and his armalite in hand to school.

he won't be late though

duke togo is never late.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
saner i don't think you realize how important high school is in japan

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Do you enjoy coming of age movies? Pretty much everyone enjoys those regardless of age. I’m no expert in Japanese culture, but this seems like a cultural equivalent

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
There's something remarkably bland about the games but at the same time they have such a charm to them...it may take a while for you to understand what I mean, hell I can't even explain it.

This nails it for the entire "high school themed games" genre.

saner

Krauser's Henchman
This nails it for the entire "high school themed games" genre.
they lack lasting appeal though. high school themes are a one trick pony and lag the massive possibilities of more world epic and magical possibilities that exist in other genres like
some tasteful JRPGs that blend swords and sorcery with other things.

or like ninja themes, though ninja genre has yet to really bring out its greater potential. too many games with their hamfisted protagonist instead of something more open and customizable, kind of like Samurai Warriors 4 Empires minus the mashy combat.

I dunno. I think there's only so much that can be done with high school theme to the point where even its fans get sick of it.

even in Japan with school being a huge deal and there are suicides over school. school theme is a fad, just a phase. not a way of life. even people in school wanna move on to greater things.
school themes are as stale and tropey like the mech genre.

and the thing is, high school games are not even done right and pander to just one specific demographic, so I dunno how people can be so excited for a new high school game when devs lack the talent and vision to actually make them intriguing and fun. their so called 'fun' is tedious and limiting.

meanwhile the ninja genre is neglected and its sad when people talk ninja games, they bring up shallow series like Ninja Gaiden, or Nioh, which isnt even 1/10 about ninjas.
and Koei's ninja aspects in Samurai Warriors is done so simplistic. I think if they open world Samurai Warriors 5 like they did with DW9, they could make a more interesting playground for ninjas, but they need character creation and nonlinear conquest like the Empires games. make games more like a way of life.

though yea even the swords and sorcery genre is wasted on pretentious developers that do most things wrong. they mostly make movie rentals more than more open genuine RPGs.
and while the Elder Scrolls has a powerful series that surpass the competition, the genre needs new worlds, new talent, new lore, and better ideas and aesthetics.

its a shame some of the more genius concepts have production values still dwelling in the 16 bit era of resources, while massively funded games are so narrow minded and underwhelming, all graphics and no true substance nor flexibilities overall.

so yea the industry is all sorts of screwed up. themes like high school are used like cheap cash grabs, and other themes are not fully utilized. they are lacking somewhere.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
saner also thinks lingerie football is empowering for women

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member

They have medication that can help. Have you ever tried Klonopin? Maybe stay away from Xanax though, that shit is too potent. You could also try working out, eating healthy, and maybe trying to meet real women that aren't cartoons or on TV.