So after all this time, what do you owners of the Pro and/or One X think?

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I'm looking into buying one of these. Does the Pro do things visibly better than the vanilla PS4?
and is Xbox One X visibly better with cross platform games?
Goddam consumer choices, I swear things where simpler with Communism.

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
I still have my regular PS4 as well as my Pro and I would say unless you have a 4K TV don't bother...if you do have a 4K TV definitely get one. Loading times are signifigantly improved as well. If you have PSVR, the experience is also noticeably better.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I still have my regular PS4 as well as my Pro and I would say unless you have a 4K TV don't bother...if you do have a 4K TV definitely get one. Loading times are signifigantly improved as well. If you have PSVR, the experience is also noticeably better.

I have a 4K tv. Cool, thanks for the headsup

Edit: just read Sony released a new revision of the Pro which is much more quiet.
I usted to own the regular PS4, don't recall it being noisy, but never saw a Pro working.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I can't speak for the PS4 Pro as I only have the original one, but the Xbone X is a beast. Out of the multiplatform games traditionally the Xbone version was the worst since it was the weakest, but between some games simply scaling to the hardware automatically and others getting X patches the X turns what was previously the worst version of a game into the best. In 1080p pretty much every game runs a solid 60fps with vsync and no drops, and it actually renders it at the full resolution. A lot games internally render at a much lower resolution, have nasty screen tearing, and frequently dip around 50 fps on the original system or the S.

The catch with the X is that it's marketed as a 4k machine, but the power isn't quite there. It will run it and it will look fine, but most games will be 30 fps. Personally, I'll take 1080p with max everything and a locked 60 over a higher resolution and lower framerate. Some games like Gears of War will let you select between resolution and framerate.

Of course, you could also get a PC and drop a ridiculous videocard into it for an even better experience, but you'd be hard pressed to build one that beats the Xbox One X for the price it sells for, especially with the rumored Christmas discounts coming up.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I can't speak for the PS4 Pro as I only have the original one, but the Xbone X is a beast. Out of the multiplatform games traditionally the Xbone version was the worst since it was the weakest, but between some games simply scaling to the hardware automatically and others getting X patches the X turns what was previously the worst version of a game into the best. In 1080p pretty much every game runs a solid 60fps with vsync and no drops, and it actually renders it at the full resolution. A lot games internally render at a much lower resolution, have nasty screen tearing, and frequently dip around 50 fps on the original system or the S.

The catch with the X is that it's marketed as a 4k machine, but the power isn't quite there. It will run it and it will look fine, but most games will be 30 fps. Personally, I'll take 1080p with max everything and a locked 60 over a higher resolution and lower framerate. Some games like Gears of War will let you select between resolution and framerate.

Of course, you could also get a PC and drop a ridiculous videocard into it for an even better experience, but you'd be hard pressed to build one that beats the Xbox One X for the price it sells for, especially with the rumored Christmas discounts coming up.

Same here, I rather have 60 smooth frames at a lower res than 30 hi res frames.

I'm way behind you guys. I'm still playing on a 1080p Samsung plasma that I purchased during black Friday like 4 years ago for like $250 hahaha.

I have a Asus monitor hooked up to my 2nd pc that does 144hz and that shit still blows my mind when I see games running over 100fps.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
I have both. PS4 pro is ok, it’s not true 4K and a lot of games when played in 4K have a performance drop like God Of War. The One X is nice since it’s true 4K and bumps the performance on a lot of games, even if they don’t get a resolution bump.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
Pro can run true 4K, just not very often, thus the usual checkerboarding that you see in stuff like God of War, Ratchet and Clank, etc. Looks fine but not great. The Pro is better than the base PS4, but it's underpowered compared to the X1X. The X runs almost everything in true 4K. It's really powerful, as has been noted. On multi-platform stuff, there's inevitably a clear hierarchy in quality from XBox One X being the best version by far, PS4 Pro being a noticeable step down from that, then the base PS4 being respectable but not impressive, and then the base (or S) XB1 being generally shit.

With a 4K tv and HDR, the X1X is absolutely worth it. The Pro is too, but it's underwhelming after getting used to the X.

edit: I should mention that regarding the 30 fps on X, a solid number of games on the system give you the option of 4K at 30 or 1440 at 60 fps. Pro does similar stuff at slightly lower resolutions sometimes, which is very welcome in all cases.

Last edited:

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
I think my X is worth it I think the pro came out too soon and is a stop gap. As an upgrade it wasnt really worthwhile but if you didnt already have a 4 and you wanted a system it was a logical purchase. Still everything multi plat is played on my X

Last edited:

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
I remember reading several articles when the Pro first cake out that lots of games actually ran worse than on a standard PS4. Is that still true?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I remember reading several articles when the Pro first cake out that lots of games actually ran worse than on a standard PS4. Is that still true?

Yes, it would get choppy with some games but some other games that were designed for it ran much better. That was in the beginning when the Pro came out but I'm pretty sure it fixed some of those issues. God of War I hear is one of the games that plays better on the pro. I played it with the regular PS4 and it looked and ran great.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
The only case I knew of was The Last of Us remaster, which got fixed and also received a 4K patch later on.

The system also received an update with the Boost Mode feature, which enhances the frame rate and loading speed of older games that didn't receive a Pro patch (Bloodborne, The Evil Within, Until Dawn ... Etc)

K-2

Tung's Hair Stylist
10 Year Member
So crazy question, I have a Sony 4k tv that is too old to have the HDR. I know my Pro didn't display games in 4k on it because it didn't have HDR. Is this also true of the X?

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I don't have a 4k tv, but in the Xbone X menu the resolution and SDR/HDR settings are independent of each other, so I would think so.

I will say that the HDR-SDR conversion on 4k movies on the Bone sucks balls, although that wouldn't affect games at all.

nornor1

NEST Puppet
get the PS4 Pro, or the XBOX1X. you will kick your self later on, of course you will kick yourself anyway, cause who knows what Sony or M$oft will do next year? I bought the one s, then they announced the OneX shortly after. I was pissed. I sold the s, and got the 1x.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I just got the PS4 pro because I was on holiday and had money to burn but I did play God of War and a little bit of Gran Turismo Sport. Where is it now? packed up in its box.

Montatez

Aero Fighters Flyboy
I'm happy with my pro. I bought a PS4 at launch, I was use to the graphics but when I just recently got my pro I was impressed with the upgrade.

mr_b

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
Both are upgrades as previously stated. The big difference you can feel instantly is the xb1x. The pro is also worth it if you play on enough on the ps4. Consoles are now like ipads or phones. If you use the device enough the upgrades are worth it.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member

chocolate.jpg

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Communism gave you always two choices of the same -- and both were shit. So actually...

Not with goulash communism. In fact, since these days everything is pretty much a variation of the same thing, that's roughly where we find ourselves now