MISTer FPGA?

pixeljunkie

Whilst Drunk., I Found God., Booze = Bad.,
20 Year Member
Who here has one? What are your thoughts so far?

I am thinking about jumping onboard. Am I correct in thinking all I need is:

DE10 Nano Kit
MISTer FPGA daughter board
SDRam add on?

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
I don't have one yet but I think this thing is legit.

Locutus73

Tarma's Gun Polisher
Who here has one? What are your thoughts so far?
I have one and I love it.

I am thinking about jumping onboard. Am I correct in thinking all I need is:

DE10 Nano Kit
MISTer FPGA daughter board
SDRam add on?
The DE10-Nano alone is enough to use some cores through HDMI.
You need the SDRAM for using all cores (maybe it will be reworked for Neo Geo core, but it’s a work in progress so, who knows?).
If with “MiSTer FPGA daughter board” you mean the IO board, you need it if you want additional IO, i.e. analog RGB out.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
If it gets to the point where the neo geo core on it is indistinguishable from the real deal then fuck me I'm all over it

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
​I decided to give this MiSTer FPGA thing a try. Got the kit all assembled, SD card setup, and it's successfully booting up on the workbench. Now I just need the Micro USB hub to arrive so I can plug in a keyboard and controller and actually play something.

I'm going to swap the cooling fan out eventually as well - the fan included in this kit is noisy as hell.

Photo Apr 30, 12 45 37 AM.jpgPhoto Apr 29, 6 01 51 PM.jpg

Last edited:

Lee_Rekka

Mr. Big's Thug
​I decided to give this MiSTer FPGA thing a try. Got the kit all assembled, SD card setup, and it's successfully booting up on the workbench. Now I just need the Micro USB hub to arrive so I can plug in a keyboard and controller and actually play something.

I'm going to swap the cooling fan out eventually as well - the fan included in this kit is noisy as hell.

View attachment 53853View attachment 53850

Have fun! The MiSTer is amazing. I only got mine a few months ago and I can't get enough of it. With all the talk of Arcade Games, Cave games, PC Engine CD and Neo Geo getting put on the MiSTer its so exciting.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I'm waiting for someone to package it up as a more finished product, but the potential is awesome.

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
I'm waiting for someone to package it up as a more finished product, but the potential is awesome.

The kit I went with is substantially packaged up as it is. The Super Expansion Board bundles the various MiSTer expansions into a single all-in-one unit. Just attach the one board to the base board and you’re good to go.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
I'm also very interested in MiSTer, and have been following along with the developments since I heard about it from Yodd late last year. Look up videos from a guy called Smokemonster on YT. He goes into depth on the latest developments and shows demos.

I have all the real systems that I want with everdrives, so I'm primarily interested in the arcade cores available for the system. There are a few, and even fewer that are interesting to me available right now.

From what I've learned from hanging out with some of the devs working on cores (I have a small project in the works too) the current goal is to get cores working - not necessarily to recreate the original hardware in the FPGA to the spec of a preservationist. eg. they are working to get "signal level accuracy" rather than "silicon level accuracy" which is a shame. As the work will eventually have to be done again to make it absolutely perfect. Furrtek, the guy making the Neo Geo core is attempting to make it silicon level accuracy, but that takes time and money. Support him if you can!

Lee_Rekka

Mr. Big's Thug

misteraddons.com will set it up for you if you want, he also has cases if you want one. That's where I bought mine.

pva

Mega Shock!!
I have all the real systems that I want with everdrives, so I'm primarily interested in the arcade cores available for the system. There are a few, and even fewer that are interesting to me available right now.

This. I, for one, am rather excited at the prospect of eventually being able to play 1st generation Cave titles on the MiSTer, if this project comes to fruition.

Lee_Rekka

Mr. Big's Thug
This. I, for one, am rather excited at the prospect of eventually being able to play 1st generation Cave titles on the MiSTer, if this project comes to fruition.

Wow, they are really progressing fast on that. When I first saw a video on it a short time ago they never had a background layer.

Lee_Rekka

Mr. Big's Thug
The person who is making the FPGA Dodonpachi also said, "I will do the other 1st gen games too when this one is done (Donpachi, Esp.Ra.De, Dangun Feveron, Uo Poko, and Guwange)."

Pretty exciting if it ends up happening.

Lee_Rekka

Mr. Big's Thug
FPGA Dodonpachi on MiSTer update, said they hope to have it out sometime this summer.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
In the time honored tradition of asking something I can probably google but don't feel like it:

Is there a possibility of getting RGB (or even s-vid/composite) out of these with any off-the-shelf add-ons? I would be looking at this to play arcade cores easily on a PVM as an alternative to shoving a MAME setup in one of my cabs and having to deal with monitor rotation. Not opposed to adding it myself via what look to be some sort of GPIOs on the board, but I'm lazy and would rather not have to.

Lee_Rekka

Mr. Big's Thug
In the time honored tradition of asking something I can probably google but don't feel like it:

Is there a possibility of getting RGB (or even s-vid/composite) out of these with any off-the-shelf add-ons? I would be looking at this to play arcade cores easily on a PVM as an alternative to shoving a MAME setup in one of my cabs and having to deal with monitor rotation. Not opposed to adding it myself via what look to be some sort of GPIOs on the board, but I'm lazy and would rather not have to.

Yes you just need the MiSTer IO Board and get a VGA to Scart cable and your good to go. You can also output analog and HDMI at the same time.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I love this sort of stuff, which is why I'm going to wait a year or two for it to mature. I jumped on the raspberry pi train too early and took a pause, but when I got back to it, it was crazy how much had changed (for the better, of course).

I will watch this thread intensely, thanks for the updates.

Lee_Rekka

Mr. Big's Thug
DoDonPachi update: developer has the game done on another FPGA dev platform. He now has a MiSTer and has graphics loading. Still a few things to do but is working on it as time permits. After it’s done he hopes to open it up to other 1st gen Cave games.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
What's the other FPGA dev platform you speak of?

pva

Mega Shock!!
I have no idea, something he was using for a university project I believe.

The description of the video update you linked to earlier says the "FPGA is XC7Z020 on PYNQ-Z1 board".