Game opinions thread (what did you play, what did you think?)

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
- preferbly hold off thoughts until you finish the game
- No spoilers

Yoshi Woolly World - Wii U (also on 3DS)

An easily-overlooked gem that will likely remain on an obscure system (sadly). This is now my favourite 2D platformer.

Basically, if you like SNES' Yoshi's Island, you will love this one. It has everything that made that game great: every single level brings at least one or two new things to the table, and the challenge to get all the collectables requires skills and patience. Plus, the game simply looks amazing. Some additional thoughts:

- Like Yoshi's Island, the game is fully appreciated only if you opt to get 100% score in all stages (all flowers, yarns, stamp coins and full HP)

- Contrary to my initial expectations, the game is hard as fuck in that regard (despite having a more forgiving hover mechanics and controls)

- The game is lengthy (50+ stages)

- Has 2 players coop mode

- Unlike Yoshi's Island, collectables stack over multiple playthroughs. Suppose you beat a level with 1 missing flower, if you replay the level and get that flower only, the level will still be marked as 100% complete (I still chose to get everything in one go, like in Yoshi's Island).

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
-every game I don't enjoy or don't understand how to play sucks
-every game I like is automatically fantastic
-Bioware sucks ass and hasn't made a good game since Jade Empire

tacoguy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Red Dead Redemption 2

Played it for like an hour or two and then i put it down and haven't gone back to it since. I have the time to play it but for some reason I don't find myself wanting to go back to it. It's not the first time i've done this, I did the same thing with the first Witcher, and with the Windwaker both those titles I eventually went back and finished them. And both titles I ended up liking a ton.

RDR2 has first class production quality all over, from the amazing graphics to its good voice acting and characters that were likable so what is my problem? This game is slow. I don't know if i'm playing this wrong but the main character controls like a tank. Shooting while on horseback was kinda hard for me to do here, had to attempt that first segment about a dozen times because i couldnt shoot the wolves while riding a horse. And the snow just makes getting around to everything take that much longer.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Paper Mario: Color Splash - Wii U

This is kind of hard to describe, but the review above covers most of the points I was planning to make. What I would like to add is how brilliant the game is with coming up with interesting objectives and dilemma's throughout its courses. The game's chapters are packed with variety and creativity in terms of objectives and landscapes. The more I progressed, the more I enjoyed it. That alone made up for whatever shortcomings the story came with.

My main issues were:

- Wii U gamepad is the only control option for the game (charging + some forced touch controls). Thankfully, there is an option to use buttons for battle commands (but not for some other mechanics).

- The game was generally very easy outside of completion side activities and boss fight gimmecks.

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC / PS4 / XB1

If you played the previous two games in the rebooted series, you would know what to expect here. It improves on almost everything, especially the graphics. In some playable parts (not all), the graphics are one of the best I've seen this gen.

I still enjoyed Rise more mainly because this one lacks variety in its locations. 80% of the game is spent in jungles, while the rest are either tombs or settlements. Not that the jungle parts don't look great (they do) or share assets, but you eventually get bored from seeing the same environmental tone throughout the game.

And just like the previous two games, plenty of collectables and side quests + meh story and cutscenes.

Battlefield V (PS4, also on other systems)

Hate it. Get bullets rained down upon you constantly by fuckers you never see. You’ll feel like the whole of the German military’s only goal in the war is to put as many bullets in you and you alone as possible.

That said, the game looks great.

ratson

Hyperactive Stoner
15 Year Member
Red Dead Redemption 2

Played it for like an hour or two and then i put it down and haven't gone back to it since. I have the time to play it but for some reason I don't find myself wanting to go back to it. It's not the first time i've done this, I did the same thing with the first Witcher, and with the Windwaker both those titles I eventually went back and finished them. And both titles I ended up liking a ton.

RDR2 has first class production quality all over, from the amazing graphics to its good voice acting and characters that were likable so what is my problem? This game is slow. I don't know if i'm playing this wrong but the main character controls like a tank. Shooting while on horseback was kinda hard for me to do here, had to attempt that first segment about a dozen times because i couldnt shoot the wolves while riding a horse. And the snow just makes getting around to everything take that much longer.

Exactly my problem with it. Stopped and didn't look back, yet.

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member
Shadow of the Tomb Raider - PC / PS4 / XB1

In some playable parts (not all), the graphics are one of the best I've seen this gen.

True dat. One of the few games I've played in 4K + HDR, and I definitely just stopped to admire the scenery multiple times in my playthrough.

city41

Gal Ageise's Demon
10 Year Member
Hollow Knight.

One of the best games I've ever played. It's a goddamn masterpiece. The lore, graphics, environments, difficulty, all pretty much perfect. It's hard as balls but in a very satisfying way. Finally beating a tough boss feels so good. I played through it on both PC and Switch.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Battlefield V (PS4, also on other systems)

Hate it. Get bullets rained down upon you constantly by fuckers you never see. You’ll feel like the whole of the German military’s only goal in the war is to put as many bullets in you and you alone as possible.

That said, the game looks great.

This will be biased as I'm a huge BF fan but I thought BFV was following the same formula as the others. Yeah dying is a big part the game, it's not COD or any game like that, no massive kill streaks going on. I just like how you can jump right into a huge firefight and the longer you survive the more immersive it becomes.

That said getting shot at all the time is pretty normal, I play on PC so there's 64 players running around firing at anything that moves... Or doesnt!

Now that the series is back to WW2 one wonders where the hell they'll go from here having done a full circle. I just love getting into a Tiger tank and blowing the shit out of buildings, fortifications etc. The Spitfires are also a lot of fun once you get the hang of dog fighting.

If you're on PC and have an RTX card you can enjoy raytracing which lifts the entire scene lighting to an amazing level.

This will be biased as I'm a huge BF fan but I thought BFV was following the same formula as the others. Yeah dying is a big part the game, it's not COD or any game like that, no massive kill streaks going on. I just like how you can jump right into a huge firefight and the longer you survive the more immersive it becomes.

That said getting shot at all the time is pretty normal, I play on PC so there's 64 players running around firing at anything that moves... Or doesnt!

Good perspective, thanks for that. I’m disappointed I don’t enjoy it as it really does seem awesome.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Super Metroid:

Didn't age as well as I remember, although it kept getting better the more I played (note: last time I beat it was around 2004, and before that had a couple of sessions around the time it got released on SNES ). Managed to get all upgeade items, but had to rely on a youtube guide for ~15 of them.

Lost Sphere:

Tldr version: skip it

It fixes everything that was wrong with I Am Setsuna (which I enjoyed), but somehow the writing took a nose dive. Long predictable conversations, mostly filled with obvious things and generally un-interesting to read. It's a shame cause I liked everything else about it, including the cast, locations and gameplay (even the story has some interesting points). I would have still recommended it if it wasn't such a long game (took me about 60 hours for 100% completion).

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
Overcooked

This is by far the most gaming i've played in a long time. Also been playing it with my kids & wife too. Everyone loves this game and so easy to pick up and play. Also, i have not had this much frustration since playing a 2-player Battletoad on the NES. I think we are almost done with the campaign. We haven't tried Vs mode yet but i think the kids like the Co-op. Cant wait for Overcooked 2.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
The Switch remake of Katamari is amazing and you need to scoop it now.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
- preferbly hold off thoughts until you finish the game
- No spoilers

Yoshi Woolly World - Wii U (also on 3DS)

An easily-overlooked gem that will likely remain on an obscure system (sadly). This is now my favourite 2D platformer.

Basically, if you like SNES' Yoshi's Island, you will love this one. It has everything that made that game great: every single level brings at least one or two new things to the table, and the challenge to get all the collectables requires skills and patience. Plus, the game simply looks amazing. Some additional thoughts:

- Like Yoshi's Island, the game is fully appreciated only if you opt to get 100% score in all stages (all flowers, yarns, stamp coins and full HP)

- Contrary to my initial expectations, the game is hard as fuck in that regard (despite having a more forgiving hover mechanics and controls)

- The game is lengthy (50+ stages)

- Has 2 players coop mode

- Unlike Yoshi's Island, collectables stack over multiple playthroughs. Suppose you beat a level with 1 missing flower, if you replay the level and get that flower only, the level will still be marked as 100% complete (I still chose to get everything in one go, like in Yoshi's Island).

While I 100% agree with you fully about everything you've said, it's a fucking crime you didn't mention the amazing sountrack...

The fucking base on this track had me wtfing at such a cutesy game with a badass piece like this. Also you should mention that while Yoshi's Island was a fun as hell game, The whole baby crying if you get hit isn't a thing anymore which I'm 100% fine with!

Also...

This Boss music was really good considering how cheesy the fight was. lol

Last edited:

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Vandal Hearts - PS1

I decided to revisit the game to see how well it aged, and ended up enjoying it immensely.

The gameplay is solid. In fact, it's probably my favourite in the genre, due to how the battles are designed. A lot of battles have interesting concepts, such as having to use crates to block the paths of overpowered enemies, preventing them from surrounding you, or having a bridge collapsing behind you, forcing you to keep advancing forward towards the enemies. You can take it up a level and try to finish all battles without having any of your party members die in battle, which is hard but possible with sound planning and strategy. The battles can not be re-played, so there is no room for grinding. You have to rely on startegy, and make sure your party's exp is balanced.

There are also chests to collect, and secret (marked) spots to uncover secret items (some of which are needed to see the true ending).

The story is good overall with lots of character backstories and surprises. And I personally love the soundtrack.

A must-play for strategy RPG fans.

While I 100% agree with you fully about everything you've said, it's a fucking crime you didn't mention the amazing sountrack...

The fucking base on this track had me wtfing at such a cutesy game with a badass piece like this. Also you should mention that while Yoshi's Island was a fun as hell game, The whole baby crying if you get hit isn't a thing anymore which I'm 100% fine with!

Also...

This Boss music was really good considering how cheesy the fight was. lol

Totally agree. It's not just awesome, but the number of tracks is crazy. It's like each stage has its own track? In fact, I'm using one of them as a phone ringtone lol.4

Last edited:

fake

King of Spammers
15 Year Member
Yoshi's Wooly World is one of my faves in recent memory (I played the 3DS version and got all the sunflowers, yarns, coins, etc.)

The design is super cute and Poochie is the best videogame character since Bayonetta.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I don't know whats worse, exposing yourself or your super mode turning yourself into a furry.

343434.jpg

Gog

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Yoshi's Wooly World is one of my faves in recent memory (I played the 3DS version and got all the sunflowers, yarns, coins, etc.)

The design is super cute and Poochie is the best videogame character since Bayonetta.

Yoshi’s Woolly World is legit and I’m glad a proper sequel is being made for Switch instead of just re-releasing the Wii U game.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Zelda - Oracle of Ages

Mixed feelings here. Kinda felt burnt out playing it after Link's Awakening and Oracle of Seasons, yet still enjoyed it somehow.

If you are playing either this or Seasons, one after the other, make sure to transfer your code from your first game to the next, as that will give you extra content, and more importantly, it will give you access to the real final dungeon (and final ending). Stupid me forgot to link it (wasn't aware of the final dungeon).

Also, having Link's Awakening remake reveal while playing this felt weird.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
Assassins Creed Origins

Lttp but the game is actually great:

tldr thoughts: if you like open world games and / or gave up on previous AC games being actually good, this one is a must. 8.5 / 10

- Huge and beautiful map with lots of varied activities for character progress and lore / locations to explore

- Great graphics for an open world game

- Combat is too simple and designed to rely too much on your character's level.

- Stealth is nice (starts basic, improves a lot as you progress), but might be redundant when you're over-leveled. I played on Hard, so you may want to try Extreme mode.

- The plot is bland mainly due to the lack of interesting events or cutscenes. The settings, lore and characters are good, however.

- Side Missions are repeatitve in design (mainly visiting a point of interest to investigate, fitch or kill something). The lore aspect is sometimes good though, as I previously mentioned.

Side note: Aside from story-telling, almost every issue (big or minor) that was consistant with previous AC games has been fixed or improved. From gameplay design and balance, to the minor animation clunkiness, to the redundancy of side activities. It's actually now comparable to Witcher 3, although not quiet as good. The only AC game that came this close to being as good was AC3 IMO.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Every Assassin's Creed game sucks, and every time a new one comes out fans of all the old ones finally admit the older games suck but swear THIS TIME it's good.