Extreme newbie question

guihvmxz

n00b
I just recieved a premade JAMMA harness, but it is wired for those Pandora Box things, and it came with all ground wires soldered to the main ground connector where there would normally be only the PSU one. Is there a problem, or should i realocate them just for precaution? It's my first arcade project, and I really don't want to screw it up, as it was also very expensive.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Just buy a normal harness. Don't even dick with those things. Usually they are made very cheaply. $15 gets you a decent normal jamma harness from the bay.

guihvmxz

n00b
I bought it because I have basically zero experience with soldering/etc and it came with a button kit.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
That's fine and all, but if you can't solder just buy a regular jamma harness. It's not an expensive thing.

guihvmxz

n00b
Ok, but for now, I gotta use it.
But the question still remains: is there a problem with all the GND wires going into one jamma plug thingie?

Kujako

Quiz Detective
Post a picture? It sounds like you may be describing the button grounds, which will be a single wire with multiple connections.

guihvmxz

n00b
IMG-20181110-164000711.jpg

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
If it was expensive, I would hope that it was from someone trustworthy and it would work from the get go. Those shrinkwrap connections and solder points look terrible.

Go with cdamms advice. If you're connecting it to an expensive board, pay the extra $15 and get a harness done right. If you're willing to take the gamble ,that's on you.

It looks like ass.

Kujako

Quiz Detective

Odds are it will work, so long as all the expected pins are there... keep in mind that many Neo Geo MVS boards are NOT truly JAMMA. So make sure you're using a mono-audio MVS. I would also sit down with a MVS pinout and make sure it matches what you have, because I would not trust that thing to be correct.

guihvmxz

n00b
Well, i'm practicing my soldering skills putting everything in it's own place now, don't want to risk anything

Kujako

Quiz Detective
Only thing I would say is to check that the harness isn't wired for stereo if you're outputting mono. Can damage the amplifier on the board (looks like a 1FZ).

guihvmxz

n00b
Yes, it is a FZ, I rewired the audio and changed some unused wires that sete connected; now it's running perfectly i think. Thank you guys for the help