Question re: Neotropolis modded AES power supply.

Kujako

Quiz Detective
Anyone know what the deal is with them using a 10v unregulated power brick? Seems a bit odd to me. If I were to replace it, I'm not sure if I should go with a 9v regulated or if the power drain is intended to drop the voltage on the unregulated one. Makes it hard to determine what the actual voltage requirements are.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Did you try contacting the helpdesk at Neotropolis?

Also, is the OG PSU for your AES not 10v? What's the issue?

Kujako

Quiz Detective
Did you try contacting the helpdesk at Neotropolis?

Also, is the OG PSU for your AES not 10v? What's the issue?

Neotropolis is slow to respond... I would say they never respond, but eternity hasn't happened yet so I'm still filled with hope! And no, the system came with a Sega 10v unregulated power supply. I'm just not sure how much I trust it and want a plan for replacing it. The system has some issues, and power supply may be one of them.

madman

Neotropolis is slow to respond... I would say they never respond, but eternity hasn't happened yet so I'm still filled with hope! And no, the system came with a Sega 10v unregulated power supply. I'm just not sure how much I trust it and want a plan for replacing it. The system has some issues, and power supply may be one of them.

I didn't ask if any Neo Geo came with a Sega power supply. Actually, nevermind. Congratulations on your Neotropolis purchase. I'm sure it will bring you years of joy with its REI.

Kujako

Quiz Detective
I didn't ask if any Neo Geo came with a Sega power supply. Actually, nevermind. Congratulations on your Neotropolis purchase. I'm sure it will bring you years of joy with its REI.

Oh I didn't get it from Neotropolis, its just their modifications that are in it. Trying to figure out the reasoning behind the power supply they provided with it, which I have been assured was from them. And sorry, misread your comment. I thought the originals were 9v? What I'm thinking, is that because it's unregulated, and there is a bunch of extra components in the box, that it's drawing too much power and the voltage may be dropping. Wanting to swap it out with a regulated PSU, but the voltage is in question (and 10v PSUs are hard to find...).

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
It has a voltage regulator, it's not too picky as long as it's connected to a quality power supply.

Kujako

Quiz Detective
It has a voltage regulator, it's not too picky as long as it's connected to a quality power supply.

Yeah, it's just hard to find a center negative 10v regulated power supply. But I'll track one down.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Yeah, it's just hard to find a center negative 10v regulated power supply. But I'll track one down.

You can use like 9v-14v for the power supply. A genesis 1 works fine supposedly.

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
You can use like 9v-14v for the power supply. A genesis 1 works fine supposedly.

Yeah, my Jap console came equipped with a Genesis PSU originally. I've since tracked down a Pro-Pow UL unit for the States.

AC_1.jpg

Kujako

Quiz Detective

Which is what the unit came with, I may just be overly paranoid re:power supplies. I have a big ol' variable one in the closet, going to wire it up and see if that addresses some of the issues this unit has before I try to track down a replacement PSU.

Kpj

Larfleeze, Wielder of the Orange Light. , formerly
Josiah, try telling the truth from here on out. We responded to your message within a couple of days and informed you that the original SNK PSUs (either 9V, 10V or 11V) would be fine. As James said above, you can use just about any 9V to 16V 2.1mm reversed polarity power supply on these units.

madman

Josiah, try telling the truth from here on out. We responded to your message within a couple of days and informed you that the original SNK PSUs (either 9V, 10V or 11V) would be fine.
Did you check logs from your helpdesk ticketing system to make sure the employee who responded is telling the truth about his/her response time?

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
Josiah, try telling the truth from here on out. We responded to your message within a couple of days and informed you that the original SNK PSUs (either 9V, 10V or 11V) would be fine. As James said above, you can use just about any 9V to 16V 2.1mm reversed polarity power supply on these units.

We = you and your fat wife?

Niko

Whip's Subordinate

Assuming he was lying, and you (neotropolis) did respond within a timely manner. Why bother even posting this? Everyone here already knows you're a piece of shit.

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
classy to call out the guys name too. we all know that the customer doesn't know whats right.

Kpj

Reaching new heights to find fault in what I have to say; bravo. Didn't realize addressing someone by their first name was uncalled for. Customers don't always know what's right. Nor is pandering to every request to win over business; is that how it's done over at Windy?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Ohh boy

Shit just got real.

War Room here we come.

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Reaching new heights to find fault in what I have to say; bravo. Didn't realize addressing someone by their first name was uncalled for. Customers don't always know what's right. Nor is pandering to every request to win over business; is that how it's done over at Windy?

no its not how i do things. I don't call out people by their real names on forums unless it is volunteered first. that's a shitty powerplay move and shows exactly how little of a person you really are. When customers reach out to me with questions or concerns, i tend to reply to them. that reply is then followed up with whatever action is needed to make said customer happy. because you see, without the customers i wouldn't exist. Clearly that's not how you do it.

You can't make everyone happy. but you can try. you don't try. you just expect money and none of the work that goes with it.

And yes sometimes the customer does not know whats right- but rather than advertising that fact why don't you do your fucking job and inform them to the best of your ability. That way the customer can make the informed decision. Sometimes what i sell isnt what the customer needs. I tell them to go to another shop like jnx, because sometimes what i have isn't what the customer wants. I'd rather put them with something that would make them happy (and more times than once they've come back for something else) than make the sale and end up with someone that resents me for selling them what i had over what they needed.

Maybe instead of talking down to your customers, you should try treating them with the respect you clearly want.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Team Neotropolis responding to help desk requests.

E7C63478-47F7-4ACA-959F-192F93150555.jpeg

Kpj

no its not how i do things. I don't call out people by their real names on forums unless it is volunteered first. that's a shitty powerplay move and shows exactly how little of a person you really are. When customers reach out to me with questions or concerns, i tend to reply to them. that reply is then followed up with whatever action is needed to make said customer happy. because you see, without the customers i wouldn't exist. Clearly that's not how you do it.

You can't make everyone happy. but you can try. you don't try. you just expect money and none of the work that goes with it.

And yes sometimes the customer does not know whats right- but rather than advertising that fact why don't you do your fucking job and inform them to the best of your ability. That way the customer can make the informed decision. Sometimes what i sell isnt what the customer needs. I tell them to go to another shop like jnx, because sometimes what i have isn't what the customer wants. I'd rather put them with something that would make them happy (and more times than once they've come back for something else) than make the sale and end up with someone that resents me for selling them what i had over what they needed.

Maybe instead of talking down to your customers, you should try treating them with the respect you clearly want.

Posterity save

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
The Tech forum....

Awesome... no one wants Rot to Mod this place... but I will if I HAVE to....

I'd advise the few people who are MEANT to be mod'ding this place.... to step upto the plate...

xROTx

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Come on Guys, keep Tech Support clean please.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
They actually have been responsive, I’m just impatient at times. However, I don’t appreciate the doxing. Kind of a scummy move.

Sit down and have a biscuit, Josiah. Fucken nugget.