AES no sound after boot chime.

Kujako

Quiz Detective
So I have an AES I'm working on fixing up. Video etc works perfectly. Sound gives the boot chime with the Neo Geo logo, and then repeats the boot chime when the game cart loads, and then nothing. No sound after that point.

Edit: Should add that this is the same from the headphone jack, the RGB port, and the stereo RCA ports that were modded into the system (Neotropolis).

Edit 2, electric boogaloo: Seems to be somewhat intermittent. Got Baseball Stars to mostly work as per normal... briefly.

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Assuming you've verified the cart is not the problem. Maybe bad sound ram?

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Sounds like it might just need a good cleaning.

Kujako

Quiz Detective
Everything is clean, and I don't think its the cart. Happens with different carts, and the odd thing is that the boot chime plays when the cart is reset/starts. So it seems like the carts sounds are simply not making it into the sound ram. So Niko may be right, just not sure how to confirm or fix.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
The Neo Geo Dev Wiki has a list of suitable replacements for the ram.

One other thing that comes to mind, I once had an issue on an MVS where a certain game didnt have sound. Turned out I wasnt running enough voltage to the unit. Once I upped the voltage from the PSU everything worked fine.

I know the AES PSU can be the cause of a lot of weird issues, so maybe as a simple fix you could try replacing that first.

Kujako

Quiz Detective
The Neo Geo Dev Wiki has a list of suitable replacements for the ram.

One other thing that comes to mind, I once had an issue on an MVS where a certain game didnt have sound. Turned out I wasnt running enough voltage to the unit. Once I upped the voltage from the PSU everything worked fine.

I know the AES PSU can be the cause of a lot of weird issues, so maybe as a simple fix you could try replacing that first.

Yeah, trying to figure out the PSU. It came with a Sega 10v unregulated power brick... which seems odd, but my understanding is that is what the Neotropolis modded systems use, just no idea why (second hand, trying to get a response form Neotropolis but nothing yet). Thinking of finding a 10v regulated power supply, but that's hard to source as well. They tend to jump from 9v to 12v. As for the audio RAM, only replacement guides I see on the wiki are for MVS boards. But I could just be looking in the wrong place.

Edit: And the PSU is center negative... BAH!

Last edited:

Kujako

Quiz Detective
Neo diagnostics bios says it's all good, but not been able to test the Z80 yet (working on a test cart).

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
The chime sounds use FM where most game sounds are ADPCM so I guess thats a place to start looking.

Kujako

Quiz Detective
The chime sounds use FM where most game sounds are ADPCM so I guess thats a place to start looking.

Well the thing is, it SEEMS to be playing the boot sound, in place of the game sound.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
Well the thing is, it SEEMS to be playing the boot sound, in place of the game sound.

Your main post gives the impression there is no sound after the game starts. Might be helpful if you post a video.

Kujako

Quiz Detective
Your main post gives the impression there is no sound after the game starts. Might be helpful if you post a video.

Will be working on doing so, behavior changes time to time. But, gonna have to wait until after my next business trip. They don't let me bring my Neo Geos.

Kpj

Larfleeze, Wielder of the Orange Light. , formerly
Yeah, trying to figure out the PSU. It came with a Sega 10v unregulated power brick... which seems odd, but my understanding is that is what the Neotropolis modded systems use, just no idea why (second hand, trying to get a response form Neotropolis but nothing yet). Thinking of finding a 10v regulated power supply, but that's hard to source as well. They tend to jump from 9v to 12v. As for the audio RAM, only replacement guides I see on the wiki are for MVS boards. But I could just be looking in the wrong place.

Edit: And the PSU is center negative... BAH!

I don’t generally supply customers with aftermarket PSUs. An OEM unit is normally included unless I’m out of stock, then a substitute is given.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Everything is clean, and I don't think its the cart. Happens with different carts, and the odd thing is that the boot chime plays when the cart is reset/starts. So it seems like the carts sounds are simply not making it into the sound ram. So Niko may be right, just not sure how to confirm or fix.

How was everything cleaned? I've had people say they cleaned it then sent the system to me and then I just clean it and it works.

Kujako

Quiz Detective
How was everything cleaned? I've had people say they cleaned it then sent the system to me and then I just clean it and it works.

<REDACTED> : problem is back... was good for around 48 hours.

Last edited: