Something I've learned playing Neo Geo games this week

Ip Man

BBLLOOOO__HHAARRDDDDDD!!!!,
15 Year Member
Same here. Figuring out a strategy/exploit for each of the ai opponents was half the fun for me back then. When I was a kid John Crawley seemed pretty much unbeatable until I started taking advantage of holes in his ai routines. Every enemy in AoF2 felt like the kof94 Rugal 2nd round battle lol

actually we didn't know of the exploits of the opponents. we just played until we beat them, which took many tries which was a part of the fun.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
There is a difference between games being difficult and games outright cheating to eat quarters.
Outside a few boss fights, I don't recall many Neo games outright cheating.

Certainly not the way MidWay sports games would cheat....

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
This may be obvious to some people, but having come from home games consoles to the Neo Geo, I've noticed something which is quite annoying about some of the games.

These are not home computer games, they are arcade games. The point of (good) home console games is to keep you playing and enable you to improve, however the sole purpose of an arcade game is to eat as much of your money as quickly as possible.

Example - Neo Turf Masters. I've played it quite a bit over the last week, and although I really enjoy it, it is sometimes completely unfair. For no apparent reason your putt can come up short, bend off target, your drive can be 50 yards shorter than it should be, etc.

Now this makes complete sense for an arcade game. NTM only wants you to play 3 holes at a time before you have to spend more money. But it does slightly take the fun out of it when you are trying to improve at the game.

I noticed Puzzle Bobble has an 'MVS' difficulty setting which I can only imagine means completely unfair, I haven't tried it yet. Perhaps more NG games should have had both 'home' and MVS modes.
That's basically the idea, they are arcade games, so they are trying to get you to keep spending more quarters. So that means the AES is different from other consoles, the games for which don't have that imperative. But on the AES, you can change the difficulty setting to make it easier (but of course, they are still arcade games). Which makes most games beatable using the 4 (or more) credits you are given, or you can also switch to player 2's credits, once you have almost used up player 1's credits.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Are you telling me that Muggsy Bogues couldn't get a game winning dunk from the opposite side of the court in real life?

Muggsy could.

But Christian Laettner couldn't make a half-court 3 to save his life, but I'll be damned if that mother fucker couldn't make it rain in that game.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
One if my buds and I used to try to shove Laettner as much as possible to get the highest possible injury score.

edd_jedi

NEST Puppet
There is a difference between games being difficult and games outright cheating to eat quarters.
Outside a few boss fights, I don't recall many Neo games outright cheating.

Certainly not the way MidWay sports games would cheat....

Exactly, that's all I was saying. I admit I've only played it for a few hours so am no expert, but my feelings so far is that the shots you hit aren't always consistent with either the power/direction, or environment. That's very different from a difficult opponent in a beat-em-up, it's the equivalent of pressing punch and getting a kick instead.

Anyway, I'm getting better and still enjoying it :)

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Exactly, that's all I was saying. I admit I've only played it for a few hours so am no expert, but my feelings so far is that the shots you hit aren't always consistent with either the power/direction, or environment. That's very different from a difficult opponent in a beat-em-up, it's the equivalent of pressing punch and getting a kick instead.

Anyway, I'm getting better and still enjoying it :)

Who are you playing as? If you play as the German with high accuracy and high putting, the issues you mention aren’t there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

edd_jedi

NEST Puppet
Usually the Japanese putting master, but I will try the German 'shot maker' next.

Almightyburner

Kabuki Klasher
You accused the game of cheating without even feeling out the different stats of the players? haha

Missile

Another Striker
What the OP was saying about Neo Geo carts being arcade games. I would like it one day if some homebrew developers make some more in-depth games for the system. The Neo Geo lacks the slightly deeper gameplay that many SNES and Megadrive games had.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
What the OP was saying about Neo Geo carts being arcade games. I would like it one day if some homebrew developers make some more in-depth games for the system. The Neo Geo lacks the slightly deeper gameplay that many SNES and Megadrive games had.

That's why you had a Mega Drive and SNES... SNK never catered to the weenie console market :p

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member

This is a foolish post on multiple levels

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Yeah, from the depth of my heart I can tell: an arcade game is as flat as a coin. It takes only one to learn, but many to master that only one should be enough. In that time a whole console generation may pass by unnoticed.

Evan

Fio's Quartermaster

You would expect that with an arcade game.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
But Christian Laettner couldn't make a half-court 3 to save his life, but I'll be damned if that mother fucker couldn't make it rain in that game.

If he was in todays NBA he could.

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member

Yes it’s true. This man has no dick.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
1266366844629.jpg

edd_jedi

NEST Puppet

I agree. While people are right that arcade games can take many years to master, they are also throw-away by their nature. Considering the NG is such a technically capable console, it would have been great to see more RPGs etc.

edd_jedi

NEST Puppet
So I've spent quite a few more hours on NTM this past week. The Shot Maker character does indeed seem better. I now have trophies for two of the courses. I still feel luck is an element of this game though, there are shots where I just feel like the game didn't want me to make it rather than being down to human error. I also still think the physics is completely wrong, proven by recently realising you can save your progress (pressing D on the score card screen) to effectively allow me to replay bad shots. There are some circumstances where it seems the game just wants you to lose, for example if there is a small area of fairway in between a bunker and a water hazard. Having used saves to take multiple attempts at the shot, avoiding either the bunker or water is nigh-on impossible even using combinations of height, hook etc. Also the physics for being in the rough is completely wrong, being a 'real' golfer myself being in mild rough off the fairway does not mean you can only hit a 50% (or less) strength shot. So I still think it has that 'arcade' unfair edge to it on some holes.