Tobe! Polystars playthrough

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Added a playthrough of Tobe! Polystars to my youtube today. Not sure how many of you have ever had the chance to play the game, but its shockingly fun and challenging. Unfortunately still not available for MAME.

I played like trash due to capture lag, but it was a fun time. Did one with commentary and one without

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn2pQB4jsCTLUtx2NIkCvUg

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I got to play this over the summer at a buds for CAX. It was kinda neat but a little too bright for my tastes. Neat to have though.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I got to play this over the summer at a buds for CAX. It was kinda neat but a little too bright for my tastes. Neat to have though.

I actually enjoy the colorfulness of the entire game. Different than most things. Nice you got a chance to play it!

ForeverSublime

6400|!!|Kyo Clone
20 Year Member
Nice. Looks like the starting point for something that could have been developed further. The water level shows some nice possibilities for the land/air shooting, as if you were playing as a chopper in In The Hunt. The camera angles look the opportunity for something totally different - like a forward scrolling version of The Cameraman, which would fit the game's playful tone.

Thanks for making the vid!

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Nice. Looks like the starting point for something that could have been developed further. The water level shows some nice possibilities for the land/air shooting, as if you were playing as a chopper in In The Hunt. The camera angles look the opportunity for something totally different - like a forward scrolling version of The Cameraman, which would fit the game's playful tone.

Thanks for making the vid!

I wish the game got a sequel. It's definitely inventive but feels like it could have been more. I'd even take a conversion to a modern platform

Late

Reichsf?rer-Finnland,
20 Year Member
It's got that Pop'n Twinbee vibe to it

aoiddr

Over Top Auto Mechanic
its supposedly a spiritual sequel / offshoot of the twinbee series

Yes, it definitely has Twinbee's gameplay mechanics in its DNA. I still prefer the Twinbee games for their challenge, but I would've liked to see where the Polystars franchise could've gone had they kept it going. If it ever does get a revival, I assume it'll be as a Pachinko machine, though...

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Yes, it definitely has Twinbee's gameplay mechanics in its DNA. I still prefer the Twinbee games for their challenge, but I would've liked to see where the Polystars franchise could've gone had they kept it going. If it ever does get a revival, I assume it'll be as a Pachinko machine, though...

hahaha Konami and their stupid pachinko machines. Yes I am surprised none of the games were ever ported. Polystars could have absolutely been on PS1 / Saturn / N64. It's a shame its relegated to having an original pcb to play.

It could have been a fun series for sure

CrystalCore

Crazed MVS Addict
Added a playthrough of Tobe! Polystars to my youtube today. Not sure how many of you have ever had the chance to play the game, but its shockingly fun and challenging. Unfortunately still not available for MAME.

I played like trash due to capture lag, but it was a fun time. Did one with commentary and one without

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn2pQB4jsCTLUtx2NIkCvUg

Mame .205 has now promoted Tobe Polystars and the rest of the Konami M2 games driver to Working status:

http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Number=380331

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member