Results 1 to 11 of 11

Thread: Tobe! Polystars playthrough

  1. #1
    Ghost Of Captain Kidd
    awbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    CHicago

    Posts
    1,651

    Tobe! Polystars playthrough

    Added a playthrough of Tobe! Polystars to my youtube today. Not sure how many of you have ever had the chance to play the game, but its shockingly fun and challenging. Unfortunately still not available for MAME.

    I played like trash due to capture lag, but it was a fun time. Did one with commentary and one without

    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn2...CTLUtx2NIkCvUg

  2. #2
    The Chinese Kid Kid Panda's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Panda Islandô

    Posts
    12,362
    I got to play this over the summer at a buds for CAX. It was kinda neat but a little too bright for my tastes. Neat to have though.
    Quote Originally Posted by DecepticonZero View Post
    I don't know why you're white knighting this guy, couldn't you buy the North Pole and have the elves build you anything you want?

  3. #3
    Ghost Of Captain Kidd
    awbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    CHicago

    Posts
    1,651
    Quote Originally Posted by Kid Panda View Post
    I got to play this over the summer at a buds for CAX. It was kinda neat but a little too bright for my tastes. Neat to have though.
    I actually enjoy the colorfulness of the entire game. Different than most things. Nice you got a chance to play it!

  4. #4
    ForeverSublime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2001
    Location
    San Francisco

    Posts
    6,205
    Nice. Looks like the starting point for something that could have been developed further. The water level shows some nice possibilities for the land/air shooting, as if you were playing as a chopper in In The Hunt. The camera angles look the opportunity for something totally different - like a forward scrolling version of The Cameraman, which would fit the game's playful tone.

    Thanks for making the vid!
    Discounted shipping, even on your forum buy/sell/trade threads. No membership fees.

  5. #5
    Ghost Of Captain Kidd
    awbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    CHicago

    Posts
    1,651
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverSublime View Post
    Nice. Looks like the starting point for something that could have been developed further. The water level shows some nice possibilities for the land/air shooting, as if you were playing as a chopper in In The Hunt. The camera angles look the opportunity for something totally different - like a forward scrolling version of The Cameraman, which would fit the game's playful tone.

    Thanks for making the vid!
    I wish the game got a sequel. It's definitely inventive but feels like it could have been more. I'd even take a conversion to a modern platform

  6. #6
    Reichsf?rer-Finnland
    Late's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    EGO FREE ZONE

    Posts
    6,756
    It's got that Pop'n Twinbee vibe to it

  7. #7
    Ghost Of Captain Kidd
    awbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    CHicago

    Posts
    1,651
    Quote Originally Posted by Late View Post
    It's got that Pop'n Twinbee vibe to it
    its supposedly a spiritual sequel / offshoot of the twinbee series

  8. #8
    Angel's Love Slave
    aoiddr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Georgia, USA

    Posts
    1,065
    Quote Originally Posted by awbacon View Post
    its supposedly a spiritual sequel / offshoot of the twinbee series
    Yes, it definitely has Twinbee's gameplay mechanics in its DNA. I still prefer the Twinbee games for their challenge, but I would've liked to see where the Polystars franchise could've gone had they kept it going. If it ever does get a revival, I assume it'll be as a Pachinko machine, though...

  9. #9
    Ghost Of Captain Kidd
    awbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    CHicago

    Posts
    1,651
    Quote Originally Posted by aoiddr View Post
    Yes, it definitely has Twinbee's gameplay mechanics in its DNA. I still prefer the Twinbee games for their challenge, but I would've liked to see where the Polystars franchise could've gone had they kept it going. If it ever does get a revival, I assume it'll be as a Pachinko machine, though...
    hahaha Konami and their stupid pachinko machines. Yes I am surprised none of the games were ever ported. Polystars could have absolutely been on PS1 / Saturn / N64. It's a shame its relegated to having an original pcb to play.

    It could have been a fun series for sure

  10. #10
    Cheng's Errand Boy
    CrystalCore's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2017
    Location
    USA

    Posts
    127
    Quote Originally Posted by awbacon View Post
    Added a playthrough of Tobe! Polystars to my youtube today. Not sure how many of you have ever had the chance to play the game, but its shockingly fun and challenging. Unfortunately still not available for MAME.

    I played like trash due to capture lag, but it was a fun time. Did one with commentary and one without

    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCn2...CTLUtx2NIkCvUg
    Mame .205 has now promoted Tobe Polystars and the rest of the Konami M2 games driver to Working status:

    http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads...?Number=380331

  11. #11
    Ghost Of Captain Kidd
    awbacon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    CHicago

    Posts
    1,651
    Quote Originally Posted by CrystalCore View Post
    Mame .205 has now promoted Tobe Polystars and the rest of the Konami M2 games driver to Working status:

    http://www.mameworld.info/ubbthreads...?Number=380331
    I saw that and tried it. Nice it's finally able to be emulated. The M2 stuff is definitely not running at full speed and has some audio glitches, but glad more people will be able to check out and enjoy these games

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •