Neo Geo CDZ Replacement CD Assembly

8BitNation

n00b
Hi i have a Neo Geo CDZ with a faulty CD Drive. I have replaced the Sharp H8151AF laser and only some games read tried another same thing. Swapped the CD Assembly from a working CDZ and my CDZ worked but when put the old one back in and the problem comes back i looks closely and those spiked discs are damaged and the movement of the laser isn’t as stable. So looks like i need a replacement drive assembly. Which one can i swap the CD Drive with?

Images are at Imgur
https://imgur.com/gallery/E1FAE2s

Is this assembly compatible?
https://kpcomponents.co/collections...ccm-kss-213ccm-ksm213ccm-laser-with-mechanism

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Speaking of CDZ reliability.

8BitNation

n00b
I have bought this straight from Japan. Took a lot of work to find the fault. Now i just need a new drive assembly. Also forgot to mention the Unibios mod didn't fix it either.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
So one person has a CDZ issue while many of us have working CDZs. Point proven!

Yea, Sure.

Maybe because you probably play most of your Neo games on Mvs. That thing is a ticking time bomb. Just a matter of time before the cd drive melts.

$300+ for unreliable console. Better off just saving some money and go with the slower toploader and you save yourself a few bucks.

I'm going to avoid this one like I avoided the N64.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I have bought this straight from Japan. Took a lot of work to find the fault. Now i just need a new drive assembly.

I bet it did. Hope you find the drive assembly.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Yea, Sure.

Maybe because you probably play most of your Neo games on Mvs. That thing is a ticking time bomb. Just a matter of time before the cd drive melts.

$300+ for unreliable console. Better off just saving some money and go with the slower toploader and you save yourself a few bucks.

I'm going to avoid this one like I avoided the N64.

2/10 troll.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
So one person has a CDZ issue while many of us have working CDZs. Point proven!
You've got that backwards. For every one person like you with a still-working CDZ, there are hundreds whose CDZ bit it. People have only been complaining about it here and everywhere else for the past 2 decades. But yours still works so I guess in your mind that cancels everything else out.

With reasoning skills like yours, it's very unsurprising to see Kentucky ranks among the least-educated states:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/10/02/ohio-indiana-kentucky-rank-among-least-educated.html

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
are there adjustable Pots for the CDZ laser? I've never tinkered with CDZ, but I've spent hours tweaking the pots on PCE:CD's.

8BitNation

n00b
Most faulty ones will need new lasers and those are easy to replace. The problem is you will get scalpers selling it for 3 times the price. Unlike the Dreamcast which needs a custom laser with the Neo Geo CD and CDZ you can just pick up that Sharp laser that is still being produced. I on the other hand have a damaged one you can tell that the assembly has been messed around with by looking at the pictures. I just need to find a replacement assembly to get it up and running again. I'm sure they're still being produced somewhere and i hear there is an SD Card mod for the CD and the CDZ but i rather stick to physical games whenever i can.

8BitNation

n00b
Yes there are but the laser is brand new no need for adjusting. It has been tested in another CDZ assembly and works perfectly fine.

madman

You've got that backwards. For every one person like you with a still-working CDZ, there are hundreds whose CDZ bit it. People have only been complaining about it here and everywhere else for the past 2 decades. But yours still works so I guess in your mind that cancels everything else out.

With reasoning skills like yours, it's very unsurprising to see Kentucky ranks among the least-educated states:

https://www.bizjournals.com/cincinnati/news/2017/10/02/ohio-indiana-kentucky-rank-among-least-educated.html

I don't currently, nor have I ever, lived in Kentucky. Try again. And provide STATISTICS.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Yes there are but the laser is brand new no need for adjusting. It has been tested in another CDZ assembly and works perfectly fine.

It may still require fine tuning for your console.

The problem with CD lasers is every one is different.

Each disc spins a little different in each drive.

However you should only need to fine tune it not send it way off. I.e. it should partly read or just miss read occasionally.

8BitNation

n00b
I'm aware of that. I got a professional to do this repair with many different lasers, multimeter testing and a lot of adjusting. This modder has modded and repaired over a 100 Neo Geos and he couldn't get the laser to read every single game he had. He had it for over two weeks and could not repair it and he is very familiar with getting lasers working on the CDZ there is something else on that assembley that isn't spinning the disc properly. Replacing the motor didn't help either and i don't want to burn out another laser especially since this is an official Sharp one. If you can find a replacement assembly for me i'd appreciate it.

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I don't currently, nor have I ever, lived in Kentucky. Try again. And provide STATISTICS.
STATISTIC: 1 out of the 6 people in this thread are so dumb, they don't even realize what state they're in.

madman

STATISTIC: 1 out of the 6 people in this thread are so dumb, they don't even realize what state they're in.

I realize what state I'm in. You wrongly assumed which state I'm in and made a damn fool of yourself. Yet I'm the dumb one?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I've learned a few things in this thread. Stay away from the CDZ and Madman isnt from Kentucky, he's from Chicago but puts Kentucky as his Neo-Geo.com location.

madman

Wow, two people actually think I'm posting from a prison in Kentucky. This forum gets all kinds of tards.

8BitNation

n00b
Can anyone help me out here? Or are you going fight over nothing. If so might aswell go to AtariAge instead.

madman

Can anyone help me out here? Or are you going fight over nothing. If so might aswell go to AtariAge instead.

Nobody on there has a clue about anything NG technically speaking. Just an autistic mongo named fdurso224 who cut and pastes from here and links to YT videos.

I doubt you'll find a new assembly, new laser, obviously, but full assembly is doubtful unless you have a donor unit.

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
Nobody on there has a clue about anything NG technically speaking. Just an autistic mongo named fdurso224 who cut and pastes from here and links to YT videos.

I doubt you'll find a new assembly, new laser, obviously, but full assembly is doubtful unless you have a donor unit.

Wrong...TripleTopper may have the answer.