Question about Neotropolis modded AES.

Kujako

Quiz Detective
So I find myself in position of a Neotropolis modded AES. However, I'm not getting a usable signal out of the composite YPbPR output. Anyone familiar with these systems? I'm thinking it may have a YPbPr encoder, but not a scaler, so it's outputting 240p which my displays don't support.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Did you try contacting the service department at Neotropolis?

Kujako

Quiz Detective
Did you try contacting the service department at Neotropolis?

I sacrificed the chicken, but not getting a response. Perhaps I need to try a goat? (naw I emailed them, but not holding my breath for a speedy response)

But at any rate, I managed to answer my own question. Yes, it has a YPbPr encoder, but not a scaler. So with the displays I have I had to run it through a converter to VGA to get a signal out. No worries.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
You don't want a console with a cheap scaler jammed in there anyway.

Kujako

Quiz Detective
You don't want a console with a cheap scaler jammed in there anyway.

I agree, just not sure what the point is of the YPbPr output. Not aware of any YPbPr to YPbPr scalers out there.... so if I still have to convert to another format like HDMI, why not just go off the RGB? I may just peel the system back open and see what I can learn about the converter board itself.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The system was made for SDTVs, the component out works great with that.

Kujako

Quiz Detective

Yeah, I suppose. and I guess I could use a RetroTINK or similar rather than a big ol' RGB scaler. But I think that's future me's problem. Today's me will be seeing if everything in the unit works. Was claimed to have an intermittent audio issue, which could be the Yamaha sound chip or the Z80. So far not been able to test much, having a shortage of AES carts.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member

^ bingo

My CMVS outputs component and I run it through the Retrotink on my Sony 900E, looks great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kujako

Quiz Detective
^ bingo

My CMVS outputs component and I run it through the Retrotink on my Sony 900E, looks great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure, and in theory most HDTVs have scalers in them and some do support 240p, just not mine.

Kpj

Larfleeze, Wielder of the Orange Light. , formerly
The REI AES systems have the JROK encoder. Try using the system on another TV to narrow down the variables. Some sets have an issue with the Component signal due to the odd refresh rate of the platform.