PAL CD or CDZ

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Here's a JAP top loader for £90, looks to be in great condition:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/302945630925

I wouldn't get too hung up on the CDZ - the loading times are a bit faster, but they are still there. What annoys most people about some later CD games is loading between rounds, the CDZ doesn't cure that. Also the CDZ has copy protection (required patched games) and is apparently less reliable. I bought a top loader recently having originally wanted a CDZ, and am very happy with it.
You can believe what you want but, the CDZ is so much faster. Its pretty much double the speed in most cases. Some times the loads are even 3 times as fast. Also due to having a much higher cache it doesnt have to reload as much so things like in between loads are vastly quicker. The realiablity issues of the cdz are highly over stated too. I've had mine since the ps3 launched and have played it pretty heavy and regularly. I beat SSRPG within a week with something like 40 hours logged. If the doesnt beat the system up nothing will as its a loading monster.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Been lurking for a while but early next year I'll have the money to buy one. I did want a AES but the games are to expensive so I've decided cd is the way to go.

I did want a CDZ but there's a few PAL ones about and there cheaper. Do you think the early ones in the future will be collectable? Only if in a few years if I lose interest with it would I make my money back?

In the UK the CDZ are about £400-900 plus I'd have to send it off and spend a few hundred pounds to make it multi regional. But a PAL is only £200-400 and it's ready to use. Not sure what to get. I want a cd console as games are about £50-200 here

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
I would recommend an AES, consolized MVS, or especially an arcade cab, over the CDZ. The loading times are too slow on the Neo Geo CD and CDZ, especially for fighters, where it has to load between rounds/matches. And the graphics aren't always as good as the AES/MVS- smaller sprites in some cases. Also, there is a limited range of games on the Neo CD, ending in 1999 with KOF '99.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I would recommend an AES, consolized MVS, or arcade cab, over the CDZ. The loading times are too slow on the Neo Geo CD, especially for fighters, where it has to load between rounds/matches. And the graphics aren't always as good as the AES/MVS- smaller sprites in some cases. Also, there is a limited range of games on the Neo CD, ending in 1999 with KOF '99.

Wow, brilliant, joe8. None of those points have been covered anywhere else. You are an asset to this community and I personally thank you for your contribution to this thread.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Wow, brilliant, joe8. None of those points have been covered anywhere else. You are an asset to this community and I personally thank you for your contribution to this thread.
Well, I don't know, maybe the person posting this thread doesn't want to, or doesn't yet know how to use the search feature.

Raiden328i

Not so MEGA, eh?
I would love a AES but unfortunately my wife would go mad if I dropped £1000 on a game. At least with the CD games there £20-200 plus I will only play it casually.

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
I like using my Neo CD from time to time to play racing games.
I mean, I run Last Blade and Lord of the Rings trilogy and I watch what finishes first... the movie trilogy or Last Blade's 1st fight.

edd_jedi

NEST Puppet
You can believe what you want but, the CDZ is so much faster. Its pretty much double the speed in most cases. Some times the loads are even 3 times as fast.

Faster yes, but they are still there. The benefit of the MVS/AES is that there is zero loading. It doesn't mater if you have to wait 30 seconds or 15 seconds between rounds in a fighting game, it still breaks up the play.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I would love a AES but unfortunately my wife would go mad if I dropped £1000 on a game. At least with the CD games there £20-200 plus I will only play it casually.

You do realize that we have a flash cart for the Neo Geo called the NeoSd, right? The prices that some of these original cds are going for is ridiculous. Unless you plan on just playing burned games.

Yes overall CD games are cheaper than Aes games for sure but you buy say 10 or 15 cd games and you've probably hit that 1000 pound mark that you are talking about. Would make more sense to get a Aes and Neosd and you no longer need to buy anything else.

The bottom line is there is no cheap way if you go original on the Neo. Good luck hunting down all your favorite games on CD. You also will never get to play games like MOTW or Sengoku 3.

Raiden328i

Not so MEGA, eh?
You do realize that we have a flash cart for the Neo Geo called the NeoSd, right? The prices that some of these original cds are going for is ridiculous. Unless you plan on just playing burned games.

Yes overall CD games are cheaper than Aes games for sure but you buy say 10 or 15 cd games and you've probably hit that 1000 pound mark that you are talking about. Would make more sense to get a Aes and Neosd and you no longer need to buy anything else.

The bottom line is there is no cheap way if you go original on the Neo. Good luck hunting down all your favorite games on CD. You also will never get to play games like MOTW or Sengoku 3.

The thought did cross my mind like KOF02 but i'm not paying over £2000 for that and the newer Metal Slug games are big money. I'd rather stick to the more affordable CD games.

Plus I like my cars and football so that eats at my money as well.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Faster yes, but they are still there. The benefit of the MVS/AES is that there is zero loading. It doesn't mater if you have to wait 30 seconds or 15 seconds between rounds in a fighting game, it still breaks up the play.

Theres other cool things like arranged ost too lets not forget that.

CD

CD

AES / MVS
CD

Also other games have special modes and other things. The cd truly is a playable system for the most part its just some of the later games are horribly transitioned over.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yes the arranged audio sounds really good which one of the major reasons why I purchased one. I also checked the load times on some of my favorite neo games that I'm interested in playing on it and they weren't all that bad.

I think of the NeoCd as cool addition to the Neo Aes and Mvs but not a replacement. It brings something different to the table but overall Aes/Mvs is still the complete experience.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Yes the arranged audio sounds really good which one of the major reasons why I purchased one. I also checked the load times on some of my favorite neo games that I'm interested in playing on it and they weren't all that bad.

I think of the NeoCd as cool addition to the Neo Aes and Mvs but not a replacement. It brings something different to the table but overall Aes/Mvs is still the complete experience.
I'd completely agree with that. With the NeoSd out now the cd should be something you get as an after thought. The cost of th cd games is way to high to really justify them anymore. An Aes and NeoSD is every game for way cheaper.

Found a way better video showing off the arranged music.

edd_jedi

NEST Puppet
The cost of th cd games is way to high to really justify them anymore. An Aes and NeoSD is every game for way cheaper.

Sorry but that's just not a fair comparison. If you're willing to use a NeoSD, you're willing to pirate. Therefore using an NGCD and CD-R's is no different, and that is cheaper for sure.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Sorry but that's just not a fair comparison. If you're willing to use a NeoSD, you're willing to pirate. Therefore using an NGCD and CD-R's is no different, and that is cheaper for sure.
I remember reading on this board that using CD-R's on the Neo Geo CD can damage the laser over time, as it was only designed to be used with good quality original game CD's. So, that might be correct, I don't know.

Last edited:

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I remember reading on this board that using CD-R's on the Neo Geo CD can damage the laser over time, as it was only designed to be used with good quality original game CD's. So, that might be correct, I don't know.

Thats basically BS.
There is some truth to it to a degree but its to do with the rip more than the media.

If you use cheap crappy media and have a bad rip it will increase the amount of wear on the laser as it seeks for the info.

Use a decent media and a quality image at a nice slow speed and should be no issue.

Of course they will inevitably fail at some point as all lasers do but thats just old age.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Thats basically BS.

Of course they will inevitably fail at some point as all lasers do but thats just old age.
That's another thing, the Neo Geo CD has a CD player inbuilt, which has moving parts which will fail over time. The AES/MVS have no moving parts. Moving parts will wear out quicker than non-moving parts (like silicon chips).

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
That's another thing, the Neo Geo CD has a CD player inbuilt, which has moving parts which will fail over time. The AES/MVS have no moving parts. Moving parts will wear out quicker than non-moving parts (like silicon chips).

Yup.

Hopefully someone will bring a ODE to market for them in the future to keep them alive.

Raiden328i

Not so MEGA, eh?
Where's best for me to get a step down transformer? Only I read somewhere a 45w are not great for the console but that's all I can find to buy online

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
Where's best for me to get a step down transformer? Only I read somewhere a 45w are not great for the console but that's all I can find to buy online
I don't think you need a step down, as long as you have a power adaptor (power brick) with the right voltage, amps, polarity, and connector (that goes into the AES). Some adaptors you can get (like from places like Radio Shack electronics shop in the U.S.) can be set to different settings for voltage, and come with various size plugs that you can attach to the end of the cord, and they can be attached with different polarity. But perhaps somebody else might correct me on this.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
joe8 doesn't even own a NGCD and never has. Stop talking.