Valkyria Chronicles 4 is pretty Bad Ass so far

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Been playing this all weekend. Stays true to the game play of the 1st game. Really making me want to finally go ahead a play the Part III translation that I've had on my PSP for years now...

The new grenade class is OP. You can just launch a mortar half way across the screen and one shot fools. Maybe this will change later.

Only downside thus far, after about 10 hours, is the company isn't as memorable as the first game. Now don't get me wrong, they seem all right. They're just not on the same level as Welkin, Alicia, and Largo. The main character (Claude), seems like kind of a softy. Maybe this will change as the game progresses.

Anyway, if strategy is your thing, there's no excuse to pass this one up. It's on literally every home console and PC. I picked up the Switch version, which appears to be exactly the same as the PS4 version, with only very, very slightly lower quality textures. I could not tell much difference on the youtube comparison videos.

On a side note, there appears to be some controversy regarding one of the characters "Raz", who grabs a girls ass in one scene of the game. In another cut scene he says "Check out the ass on that one! I'd swab her deck."

Thought I'd just throw that in there for all the feminist here @ neo-geo.com.

raz.jpg

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Good for them. There's nothing wrong with offending people.

neojedi

Member,
20 Year Member
I haven't picked this up yet. I didn't preorder because I still haven't forgiven Sega for Valkyria Revolution. Waiting for Cyber Monday prices at this point.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Never played any games in this series, but am interested in grabbing this one for switch eventually. Is it necessary to be familiar with the other games?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Never played any games in this series, but am interested in grabbing this one for switch eventually. Is it necessary to be familiar with the other games?

Nope. Each game has a different company. However, I heard there is some dlc in this one to get the company from the first game. I would recommend playing the first one. It's dirt cheap now.

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
1+ for VC1, and it's on Switch now. I tried VC4's demo and fell in love with it. Got my copy yesterday.

It could be just me, but each session took me a long time (around an hour) in VC1 to prepare for and go through battle. Battle preparations heavily reminds me of Dragon Force (checking new recruits and loot, distributing exp., buying new equipments .... Etc). I enjoyed the battles immensely as well, and the story / settings were excellent.

PS: stay the fuck away from Valkyria Revolution.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
1+ for VC1, and it's on Switch now. I tried VC4's demo and fell in love with it. Got my copy yesterday.

It could be just me, but each session took me a long time (around an hour) in VC1 to prepare for and go through battle. Battle preparations heavily reminds me of Dragon Force (checking new recruits and loot, distributing exp., buying new equipments .... Etc). I enjoyed the battles immensely as well, and the story / settings were excellent.

PS: stay the fuck away from Valkyria Revolution.

Didn't realize 1 is on switch.

But... It's digital only as far as I can tell, and not the remaster version. Would be nice to have portable, but if you have a ps4, you can get the steelbook version for about the same price.