Neo Geo AES repair HELP!

acampero

Quiz Detective
Hi all,
I'm super embarrassed to say this but I need help with my Neo Geo AES that is modded with component/s-video/composite video.

My dog pee'd on the console and now it's just got garbled output. It's gross and I'm embarrassed but I was wondering if anyone out there would be willing to help me take a look and see what the issue is with this?

Truly embarrassed.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Well, there's a lot going on there.

What do you mean by garbled? Is it only when a game is inserted? Do you get audio?

Also, how did you ed up cleaning the console after the peeing? Why did a dog decide to pee on an AES of all things to pee on?

acampero

Quiz Detective
I’ll send pics. I know right?
Couldn’t have been the PS4????

The pee trajectory was mostly by the power switch. I used a paper towel and then opened the machine to get to the inside and used a slightly damp paper towel while it was unplugged to clean as much as possible.

So awful...

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
You can use cotton sticks and dip them in the isoprpanol. Clean the complete board and let it dry. Shouldn't take long till it's dry. Don't use the AES unless you cleaned everything and it's completely dry.

Last edited:

Kujako

Quiz Detective
I’ll send pics. I know right?
Couldn’t have been the PS4????

The pee trajectory was mostly by the power switch. I used a paper towel and then opened the machine to get to the inside and used a slightly damp paper towel while it was unplugged to clean as much as possible.

So awful...

Urine is conductive, clean it out with isopropyl alcohol. Use a tooth brush to lightly scrub the area. Leave it out for a bit to dry (the alcohol will evaporate).

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
FUCK!
piss has ammonia/nitrogen, can corrode.
leave the pcb to dry in a warm dry area for a few weeks at least to be safe, CONTINUITY CHECK, then clean with and isopropyl cleaner in mild amounts on a porous cloth.
it's possible the capacitors may need replacing with equal values in advance, could've soaked up some of the moisture. :(
[edit]
clean then maintain.

acampero

Quiz Detective
IMG_7641.jpg

Here is screen shot. I cleaned it all up with iso and am letting it dry. If this doesn't work can anyone suggest someone I can send it off to get it fixed properly? I'm afraid maybe the piss got into the cap by the power switch.

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
clearly something has gone wrong along some traces.
if the console was fine A-1+ beforehand, leaning on trace and/or capacitor degradation.
could be a video chip output problem if not.
some time back, my dog slashed on a a500+ that was on the floor.
was able to kill the power to it before shit started frying.
after drying and cleaning then replacing capacitors, all was well. :p
check all parts for continuity before powering up.
all the best. :D

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Well the photos, look like you need to clean the cartridge slot and the cart that was inserted.
Look at the board if the capacitors still look good. You could also try another cable or at least clean the plug of the used cable and the socket on the AES.

edd_jedi

NEST Puppet
Unfortunately I think the error you have made is switching it on too soon. PCBs are pretty hardy, in fact it's quite well known for people to put them through dishwashers to clean them, but they MUST be 100% dry otherwise they can be irreparably damaged. If after cleaning and drying you're still getting the garbled video, I'm afraid you may have to go down the route of replacing parts. If you had cleaned it and allowed to dry in the first place, it probably would have been fine. Sorry for the bad news.

acampero

Quiz Detective
I've cleaned the entire system with isopropyl and it's drying now. I'm going to give it another shot and see what I come up with.

In the event that there is damage to the board, can you guys recommend a user here that I can hire to help me get this fixed? I'm really hoping I don't have to get a whole new system.

Thanks guys.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Wow, what a messed up situation. Did you know the dog pissed on it before you powered it on or was the piss dry?

You probably fired something once you turned it on. Had you cleaned and dried it before powering on you might have been good . I'm pretty sure someone like Xian Xi could fix it but not sure if he wants to.

acampero

Quiz Detective
Wow, what a messed up situation. Did you know the dog pissed on it before you powered it on or was the piss dry?

You probably fired something once you turned it on. Had you cleaned and dried it before powering on you might have been good . I'm pretty sure someone like Xian Xi could fix it but not sure if he wants to.

I cleaned it up before I turned it on, but I didn't open it up until after. So I'm thinking that you're right and it was still damp. It sucks and I'm completely embarrassed by this happening and to be honest I was a dumb ass and I should have let it completely dry like everyone on here suggested before turning it on.

If I can't get someone to help me repair it, then I'm going to be in the market to look for a replacement system. So lame... :(

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
not done a stalker style member search, webs will provide.
look up users voultar, jinn & shambles1980.
do fantastic works.
possible they may have generic social media accounts. :D
they get around....

acampero

Quiz Detective
not done a stalker style member search, webs will provide.
look up users voultar, jinn & shambles1980.
do fantastic works.
possible they may have generic social media accounts. :D
they get around....

Thank you Fuckwit!

The plot thickens... I fired it up today and after cleaning a couple of carts with q-tips and isopropyl. I got these screens.

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Buy some good contact spray and use it for your cartridge slot. It already looks like the cleaning with isopropanol helped.

Kujako

Quiz Detective
Take an old credit card, wrap a t-shirt around one edge, wet with isopropanol (not too wet, no drips) and then run it along the inside of the game cartridge slot.

Last edited:

acampero

Quiz Detective
You guys fucking rock. I will let you know how it works. Sounds like I can also take a toothbrush with isopropyl to my board as well right? I was a little ginger when I cleaned it using q-tips, but with what you guys are saying it sounds like as long as its not wet when I power it on I should be good.

I'm having problems completely removing the board from the bottom shell even after removing the screws. I found this tutorial but the pic links are broken.

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...rly-clean-your-Neo-Geo-AES-system-(with-pics)