Magicial Drop - Are they balls, balloons or drops

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
My question is, what is the correct term? The circles you hit in Magical Drop, are these concerned balls, balloons or drops.

Flyers in English for MD2 say balloons, while MD3 flyers say drop, though the manual translation for MD3 says Ball.

Anyone have any advice? I'm working on translating the remaining manuals for Neo Geo games and I want to make sure I'm using the right terminology, or have they just simply changed over the years, or like everything SNK, it was based on whomever was writing the flyer, manual, etc.

Someone flagged my last PDF translations and they got removed from various hosting sites, so hopefully I can try archive.org, since they also host non-official MVS "manuals" too.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
I think you’re putting more thought into this than whoever at SNK came up with the concept

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SuperGun

Proto Hunter
20 Year Member
Since your doing an “English” version / translation of the game play elements for a manual, keep in mind that sometimes those elements of a game do in fact get changed or altered when the game is localized for a different market.

The original 1995 USA game (Jamma board not neo cart) was called Chain Reaction, rather then Magical Drop and it clearly calls them balloons, multiple times in fact, on the flyer. So I would go with that.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
My question is, what is the correct term? The circles you hit in Magical Drop, are these concerned balls, balloons or drops.

Flyers in English for MD2 say balloons, while MD3 flyers say drop, though the manual translation for MD3 says Ball.

Anyone have any advice? I'm working on translating the remaining manuals for Neo Geo games and I want to make sure I'm using the right terminology, or have they just simply changed over the years, or like everything SNK, it was based on whomever was writing the flyer, manual, etc.

Someone flagged my last PDF translations and they got removed from various hosting sites, so hopefully I can try archive.org, since they also host non-official MVS "manuals" too.

It will depend on if you favor a more direct approach to translation-work vs a more localized style. Since “ドロップ“ is used to describe them in japanese, I would lean towards “drop(s)” in english. However, if you want to stick with prior english uses then balloon would also work as stated by SuperGun.

I favor “drop(s)” since I prefer more direct translation-work even if the english is awkward. I.E preserving japanese sayings such as “like twin melons/cucumbers” rather than localizing the text to “two peas in a pod”. Although I completely understand that “Fatal Fury” is way more marketable than “Legend of the Hungry Wolf”, dropping wolf from the title meant that the little wolf icons/imagery made a tad less sense in early english releases of the series imho. It’s all minor stuff, but these touches are what make translation work unique. You rock!

Last edited:

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
It will depend on if you favor a more direct approach to translation-work vs a more localized style. Since “ドロップ“ is used to describe them in japanese, I would lean towards “drop(s)” in english. However, if you want to stick with prior english uses then balloon would also work as stated by SuperGun.

I favor “drop(s)” since I prefer more direct translation-work even if the english is awkward. I.E preserving japanese sayings such as “like twin melons/cucumbers” rather than localizing the text to “two peas in a pod”. Although I completely understand that “Fatal Fury” is way more marketable than “Legend of the Hungry Wolf”, dropping wolf from the title meant that the little wolf icons/imagery made a tad less sense in early english releases of the series imho. It’s all minor stuff, but these touches are what make translation work unique. You rock!

The wolves in the english releases had no context but I don't know anyone personally who even noticed. Just chalked it up to a symbol, like the dragons in Mortal Kombat.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
...keep in mind that sometimes those elements of a game do in fact get changed or altered when the game is localized for a different market.

But that's what we all hate, right? Like the changes provided for the western market in MDIII. They practically ruined the whole game... and it all starts with small things like notations.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
The English handbill states balloons and I would go with that.I would keep everything unique to what exists unless there was never any English documentation created.
BB