Official Neo Geo Connoisseur Disc Curators Thread

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Everyone should forget the NeoCD.

if you can't afford an AES or MVS and carts or a NeoSD then you may as well emulate.

I love the neogeo cd, but these days with retro prices being so high and with so many other alternatives available to play neogeo games, I completely agree. From a strictly gameplay perspective, the ACA rereleases and a decent arcade stick would probably suit a majority of the people who simply want to enjoy these games. Collectors and gamers willing to delve into actual hardware are a completely different animal of course.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
da9cc0441f86db77241f9cb91961b94a.jpg

So why dont you cut the elitist BS saying the CD is shit.

Ok, I will stop my Elitist Bs for recommending the definitive Neo Geo Experience.

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
It's a nice little system even if the load times on shit like Last Blade are horrible. This thread doesn't deserve to be in the War Room.

Soundwave GI

Rugal's Thug
I have both MVS and AES, both acquired recently. The MVS cab being unexpected and just finding a random deal I couldn’t pass on. My thinking was just to complete the console lineup and have access to any exclusive games such as CS2, which I can research on my own. The differences in games that exist for both systems is a bit harder to find all in one place. I’ve watched videos online, but it’s never been by anyone very educated on all of the options. I haven’t been in the Neo Geo game long, but I’ve found that these forums are really about the only place anyone knows what they are talking about, even if everyone disagrees.

edd_jedi

NEST Puppet
Another proud owner here! Only had it a few days but love it already. As a fan of the Sega Cd and Saturn I haven't really noticed the load times, they're bearable for most games I have tried. I'm a collector as well as a gamer so for me the NGCD is a good compromise of not emulating and not spending the best part of $1000.

IMG_6843.jpg

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I have no intention of buying a Neo Geo CD because it can't play Sega CD or Saturn games.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
So back to the point of the thread....

Here is my collection so far and my 2nd NGCD which has the uni bios installed:

9423c09799a673d8aa2b74f753cd9b57.jpg

63771d61e647cf166b2cabdd39cf80d7.jpg

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Shame some of those games are still sealed. The Neo CD version of a lot of games had amazing soundtracks.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Shame some of those games are still sealed. The Neo CD version of a lot of games had amazing soundtracks.

Yeah I only have a few thats sealed (I never really brought them especially for that reason) But I have a folder full of burned discs so ime not missing out on anything :)

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Like others I picked up a Neo Geo CD before diving into the world of AES. I remember randomly winning an auction for the system and five games and was super stoked to be into the world of Neo Geo. I didn't last too long before moving up to the homecarts. It is a fun system but I have more enjoyment out of the AES plus my CD system acts up sometimes and doesn't work correctly. I'm actually getting ready to sell a bunch of AES and some CD games to raise enough funds for a NeoSD. Here is what I own for it as of this moment:

TtZWLeU.jpg

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Like others I picked up a Neo Geo CD before diving into the world of AES. I remember randomly winning an auction for the system and five games and was super stoked to be into the world of Neo Geo. I didn't last too long before moving up to the homecarts. It is a fun system but I have more enjoyment out of the AES plus my CD system acts up sometimes and doesn't work correctly. I'm actually getting ready to sell a bunch of AES and some CD games to raise enough funds for a NeoSD. Here is what I own for it as of this moment:

TtZWLeU.jpg

Some nice titles there! :)

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Madman directed me here to ask a bit about the NGCD. I’ve never considered it much as my limited experience with it did not leave a great impression, but I see some members swear by it. I have considered a CDZ if the right deal comes along, if for no other reason than to own/play an original Crossed Swords 2. So, what would be a good price for a complete system nowadays and what makes it worth owning in addition to an MVS/AES? I do like some of the animated additions to some of the games I’ve seen, but couldn’t get past the loading, though now I’m seeing some say it’s really only an issue in fighting games generally speaking. Also, is there a thread or source dedicated to differences between cart/cd versions of the available titles? I guess I’d be most interested in that. Also, not interested in emulation apart from a try-before-buy situation. I really have got into playing everything from original hardware these days.

He's not very far into his quest yet, but Neo Alec has been reviewing every Neo Geo game in order and he notes the differences between AES/MVS/CD games where applicable:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_W1EM66_BruhDsODY4WcYolFMxqQn8ng

As for other differences
-Metal Slug 1 and 2 have an extra training mode and art gallery
-Neo Turf Masters has an extra course
-These games have arranged soundtracks:
Spoiler:

Art Of Fighting ~Ryuuko No Ken Gaiden~
Bakumatsu Roman – Gekka No Kenshi
Bakumatsu Roman Daini Maku – Gekka No Kenshi
Baseball Stars 2
Big Tournament Golf
Breakers[*]
Choujin Gakuen Gowcaizer
Double Dragon
Dunk Dream
Fighter’s History Dynamite
Futsal
Fuu’un Mokushiroku
Galaxy Fight
Garou Densetsu 2
Garou Densetsu 3
Garou Densetsu Special
Janshin Densetsu ~Quest Of Jongmaster~ [**]
Last Resort
Magical Drop 2
Ninja Master’s
Over Top
Power Spikes II
Pulstar
Quiz King Of Fighters
Raguy [***]
Real Bout Garou Densetsu
Real Bout Garou Densetsu 2
Real Bout Garou Densetsu Special
Ryuuko No Ken 2
Samurai Spirits
Samurai Spirits Amakusa Kourin
Samurai Spirits Zankurou Musouken
Shin Samurai Spirits
Shin’ouken
Master Of Syougi
Sonic Wings 2
Stakes Winner
Tengai Makyou Shinden
The King Of Fighters ‘94
The King Of Fighters ‘95
The King Of Fighters ’96
The King Of Fighters ’97
The King Of Fighters ’98
The King Of Fighters ’99
Tokuten Ou 2
Top Hunter
Top Player’s Golf
Tsuukai Gangan Koushinkyoku
Twinkle Star Sprites
World Heroes
World Heroes 2
World Heroes 2 Jet
World Heroes Perfect

-Cyber Lip has the same soundtrack but the volume levels have been corrected

Besides that, the main benefit of a Neo Geo CD is that many games are much, much cheaper than their AES or MVS counterparts. You can buy a Neo Geo CD and a copy of Pulstar for less than an MVS cart of Pulstar.

So for me the Neo Geo CD compliments the MVS very well. I have 23 Neo Geo CD games and 51 MVS games, no duplicates across formats. I almost always get fighting games on the MVS due to the load times. But otherwise I just get the game for whichever format it's cheaper and easier to find on.

These are the Neo Geo CD exclusives:
ADK World
Crossed Swords II
Idol Mahjong Final Romance 2
Ironclad (Brikinger)
Neo Geo CD Special
Samurai Shodown RPG
The King of Fighters '96 Collection
Zintrick

You keep telling yourself that. You like many other NeoCd owners here in this thread will eventually buy a AES or MVS and your NGCD units will just collect dust.

Shockingly, it's possible to own a Neo Geo CD as well as an MVS or AES. I bought the Neo CD first and I wasn't about to try to replace my cheap CD copies of games like Windjammers, Pulstar, Last Resort, Viewpoint, etc.

Of course the NeoSD is a great option now, but it wasn't around when I bought the overwhelming majority of my stuff. If you want to own legit games, MVS and CD is a killer combination.

Last edited:

Claudia Schiffer

back to basics
15 Year Member
I'll be honest, if it took longer to get my CMVS, I would've gone with a NeoGeo CD. I don't care for a NeoSD.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Nobody has a front loader?

Any frontloading system from that era gives me pause due to reliability issues. The frontloading SEGA CD is way less reliable than the toploader, my frontloading 3DO is acting up recently.

Toploaders are the cheapest and most common model, CDZ is the most sought after. The frontloader is the forgotten stepchild.

Soundwave GI

Rugal's Thug
He's not very far into his quest yet, but Neo Alec has been reviewing every Neo Geo game in order and he notes the differences between AES/MVS/CD games where applicable:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_W1EM66_BruhDsODY4WcYolFMxqQn8ng

As for other differences
-Metal Slug 1 and 2 have an extra training mode and art gallery
-Neo Turf Masters has an extra course
-These games have arranged soundtracks:
Spoiler:

Art Of Fighting ~Ryuuko No Ken Gaiden~
Bakumatsu Roman – Gekka No Kenshi
Bakumatsu Roman Daini Maku – Gekka No Kenshi
Baseball Stars 2
Big Tournament Golf
Breakers[*]
Choujin Gakuen Gowcaizer
Double Dragon
Dunk Dream
Fighter’s History Dynamite
Futsal
Fuu’un Mokushiroku
Galaxy Fight
Garou Densetsu 2
Garou Densetsu 3
Garou Densetsu Special
Janshin Densetsu ~Quest Of Jongmaster~ [**]
Last Resort
Magical Drop 2
Ninja Master’s
Over Top
Power Spikes II
Pulstar
Quiz King Of Fighters
Raguy [***]
Real Bout Garou Densetsu
Real Bout Garou Densetsu 2
Real Bout Garou Densetsu Special
Ryuuko No Ken 2
Samurai Spirits
Samurai Spirits Amakusa Kourin
Samurai Spirits Zankurou Musouken
Shin Samurai Spirits
Shin’ouken
Master Of Syougi
Sonic Wings 2
Stakes Winner
Tengai Makyou Shinden
The King Of Fighters ‘94
The King Of Fighters ‘95
The King Of Fighters ’96
The King Of Fighters ’97
The King Of Fighters ’98
The King Of Fighters ’99
Tokuten Ou 2
Top Hunter
Top Player’s Golf
Tsuukai Gangan Koushinkyoku
Twinkle Star Sprites
World Heroes
World Heroes 2
World Heroes 2 Jet
World Heroes Perfect

-Cyber Lip has the same soundtrack but the volume levels have been corrected

Besides that, the main benefit of a Neo Geo CD is that many games are much, much cheaper than their AES or MVS counterparts. You can buy a Neo Geo CD and a copy of Pulstar for less than an MVS cart of Pulstar.

So for me the Neo Geo CD compliments the MVS very well. I have 23 Neo Geo CD games and 51 MVS games, no duplicates across formats. I almost always get fighting games on the MVS due to the load times. But otherwise I just get the game for whichever format it's cheaper and easier to find on.

These are the Neo Geo CD exclusives:
ADK World
Crossed Swords II
Idol Mahjong Final Romance 2
Ironclad (Brikinger)
Neo Geo CD Special
Samurai Shodown RPG
The King of Fighters '96 Collection
Zintrick

Shockingly, it's possible to own a Neo Geo CD as well as an MVS or AES. I bought the Neo CD first and I wasn't about to try to replace my cheap CD copies of games like Windjammers, Pulstar, Last Resort, Viewpoint, etc.

Of course the NeoSD is a great option now, but it wasn't around when I bought the overwhelming majority of my stuff. If you want to own legit games, MVS and CD is a killer combination.

Excellent response, just what I’m looking for. Thanks, going to look into this stuff. If there is extra content without suffering from a ton of loading on some of these, it would be worth it.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Excellent response, just what I’m looking for. Thanks, going to look into this stuff. If there is extra content without suffering from a ton of loading on some of these, it would be worth it.

Another point I forgot to mention was that the Neo Geo CD has the best a/v quality of any Neo Geo system. The Neo Geo CD has the best quality RGB output of any system I have seen.

And I don't know if you saw my other post above, but again, this site has a ton of the info you're looking for:
https://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=fr&u=http://neogeocdworld.info/&prev=search

Just click through all the links on the left side. Translated from French but it's mostly pretty straightforward.