Official Neo Geo Connoisseur Disc Curators Thread

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Hello and welcome to the Neo Geo Connoisseur Disc Curators thread. This is a place where likeminded individuals can discuss the merits of the Neo Geo CD format and display their collections.

I currently own a CIB CDZ serial number 0026400. My most prized NGCD game is Brikinger which was purchased from a fellow forum member years ago. Other exclusive Neo Geo optical format games I own are ADK World, Crossed Swords 2, Neo Geo CD Special and Zintrick. Neo Turf Masters is my holy grail.

A great resource for tracking down games with superior music is available here.

I invite other distinguished collectors to join in sharing information about this exceptional Neo Geo format and post images of their collections.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
There really is nothing better than a Neo Geo Connoisseur Disc System. Mine is a toploader serial #0021297. I had a member here, wyeth, install the NeoBiosMasta and the Unibios CD 3.3. He also fixed the latch on my disc door, fixed an issue with the laser mechanism, and replaced the old save battery. It's like a brand new system again.

My Neo Geo CD library:
Andro Dunos (NCI release)
Bang Bang Busters (NCI release)
Pulstar
Windjammers
Aero Fighters 2
Aero Fighters 3
Ninja Combat
Mutation Nation
King of the Monsters 2
Baseball Stars 2
Super Baseball 2020
Football Frenzy
Alpha Mission II
Viewpoint
Puzzle Bobble
Top Hunter
Fighter's History Dynamite
League Bowling
Magician Lord
Nam-1975
Rally Chase
Ghost Pilots
Last Resort

Of them, only Pulstar has bad load times.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I'm a big fan of the built-in smoke break feature in most fighting games.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I'm a big fan of the built-in smoke break feature in most fighting games.

Fighting games are savage, appropriate for a caveman format like MVS. The Connoisseur Disc format is space age.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
The NGCD is a fantastic system! I have 2 of them. The one I use for gaming (not pictured, but trust me it is in very nice condition) I have owned since 1995. The serial number is 0002814. It was originally a PAL console but I modded it for NTSC usage. I picked up a second boxed unit to ensure continuity should my original console die. However, it is still going strong after all these years - a testament to SNK's engineering excellence! I took this picture to showcase a variety of my favorite games for the system, as well as the CD exclusive Idol Mahjong Final Romance 2.

DSC03409.JPG

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Hello my name is Titch, And I love my NGCD :)

Well I am at work atm so cant provide much in the way of pics or serial numbers but...

I have 2 NGCD units, One top loader mint condition and boxed with 2 controllers:

9b6cb5df915df1df87c8da470fdd90f9.jpg

And another top loader that I actually use to play on.
It has some minor battle scars but plays good and is in good condition over all.

Its also fitted with the latest CD unibios and I have a spare laser assembly just incase but currently has no signs of laser problems.

Games wise I have a modest collection but some of my prized ones are Top Hunter, Drift Out and Mutation Nation.

My holy grails are Slug 1&2.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I will agree that there is probably no better system anywhere to play League Bowling on.

But for anything made after maybe November of 1994, the Neo CD is shit.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Magician Lord is a 40 dollar game, not 115 dollars.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I can emulate all of this on my PC, you collectards are fucking stupid.

Soundwave GI

Rugal's Thug
Madman directed me here to ask a bit about the NGCD. I’ve never considered it much as my limited experience with it did not leave a great impression, but I see some members swear by it. I have considered a CDZ if the right deal comes along, if for no other reason than to own/play an original Crossed Swords 2. So, what would be a good price for a complete system nowadays and what makes it worth owning in addition to an MVS/AES? I do like some of the animated additions to some of the games I’ve seen, but couldn’t get past the loading, though now I’m seeing some say it’s really only an issue in fighting games generally speaking. Also, is there a thread or source dedicated to differences between cart/cd versions of the available titles? I guess I’d be most interested in that. Also, not interested in emulation apart from a try-before-buy situation. I really have got into playing everything from original hardware these days.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Madman directed me here to ask a bit about the NGCD. I’ve never considered it much as my limited experience with it did not leave a great impression, but I see some members swear by it. I have considered a CDZ if the right deal comes along, if for no other reason than to own/play an original Crossed Swords 2. So, what would be a good price for a complete system nowadays and what makes it worth owning in addition to an MVS/AES? I do like some of the animated additions to some of the games I’ve seen, but couldn’t get past the loading, though now I’m seeing some say it’s really only an issue in fighting games generally speaking. Also, is there a thread or source dedicated to differences between cart/cd versions of the available titles? I guess I’d be most interested in that. Also, not interested in emulation apart from a try-before-buy situation. I really have got into playing everything from original hardware these days.

You were directed wrong. Never trust madman.

Buy an AES or MVS and then a NeoSD and be done with it.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

Only benefits I've heard to owning a NeoCd so far is League Bowling is better, NTM has a extra Stage, and you could play the original Crossed Swords 2. Also, you could use the Cd's as Soundtracks and the AV Port is better, whatever the hell that means.

This is not a benefit but I've heard from more than a few people here that most fighting games have a good amount of load times, so you might want to avoid playing half of the Neo-Geo Library.

These are just some great reasons to own the NGCD.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Only benefits I've heard to owning a NeoCd so far is League Bowling is better, NTM has a extra Stage, and you could play the original Crossed Swords 2. Also, you could use the Cd's as Soundtracks and the AV Port is better, whatever the hell that means.

This is not a benefit but I've heard from more than a few people here that most fighting games have a good amount of load times, so you might want to avoid playing half of the Neo-Geo Library.

You forgot to mention its around £600 cheaper and will play burned disks ;)

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member

Only 30% of the entire Neo Geo library is fighting games. Unfortunately, 40% of the NGCD library is fighting games :keke:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
You forgot to mention its around £600 cheaper and will play burned disks ;)

You keep telling yourself that. You like many other NeoCd owners here in this thread will eventually buy a AES or MVS and your NGCD units will just collect dust.

Only 30% of the entire Neo Geo library is fighting games. Unfortunately, 40% of the NGCD library is fighting games :keke:

Whatever, 30% or 40% is still a good amount of games.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
You keep telling yourself that. You like many other NeoCd owners here in this thread will eventually buy a AES or MVS and your NGCD units will just collect dust.

Whatever, 30% or 40% is still a good amount of games.

da9cc0441f86db77241f9cb91961b94a.jpg

Already got one ;)

Still use the CD more though because I am not fortunate enough to own tons of MVS carts or a NeoSD.

I am fortunate enough however that I am in a position to buy one when the Pro comes out.
Many people are not fortunate enough to be able to drop £500 on a cartridge.

So why dont you cut the elitist BS saying the CD is shit.

Its not, Its very enjoyable to play and if you can only afford £100 ish to enjoy Neo games then its a damn side lot better than playing on a PC with a USB controller.