is 15 pin RGB just VGA?

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Stupid question, but googling around the problem is a pain in the ass since when the search terms are too vague.

Have a device, 15 pin standard VGA port, but its marked as RGB.

Now I 100% understand VGA is basically RGB, carries the red, blue, and green channels, along with sync...etc etc.

Just making sure there is not some weird and rare RGB 15 pin port that I've never heard of before I go plugging shit into my Framemeister

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
basically I am 99.9% sure its VGA, but no board schematic or pinout exists, so I wanted to be sure I didn't miss something

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
RGB is just 15khz video, VGA starts at 31khz. Multi sync monitor may accept both on VGA Dsub, or BNC connector.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
RGB is just 15khz video, VGA starts at 31khz. Multi sync monitor may accept both on VGA Dsub, or BNC connector.

but a standard VGA cable out with an adapter into the Framemeister should work yes? I just need to figure out what cables I need to utilize to get it into my upscaler

Its a 3DO M2 kiosk unit (probably doesn't help)

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Standard VGA has a separate h and v sync that need to be combined into composite sync for it to work with the framemeister. If the source is already composite sync it will work, 15 khz or 31.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Standard VGA has a separate h and v sync that need to be combined into composite sync for it to work with the framemeister. If the source is already composite sync it will work, 15 khz or 31.

Hmm. Zero clue what source sync is. Stupid M2 hardware and its absolute lack of documentation.

Maybe Ill just use the S-Video for now haha...till I can actually figure it out.

What would I use, adapter wise, to bring the RGB 15 pin out and into my Framemeister with appropriate sync if need be?

skate323k137

10 Year Member
VGA is technically split HV sync but most displays accept composite sync on the H sync pin.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I think I'll go VGA to Component then component into Framemeister. Seems like most efficient (and cost effective...vga to component adapters are dirt cheap) method for this project

Thanks everyone

skate323k137

10 Year Member
If you use a good one like key digital you'll have a pretty good result I would wager.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
If you use a good one like key digital you'll have a pretty good result I would wager.

I'll take a look at that. Thanks for the rec

Just doing this to capture some beta software for the M2, so trying to get best qual I can

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
It was just VGA. Marked as RGB but it has horizontal and vertical sync so standard VGA worked

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
VGA goes by RGB in some regions. It's the same.