Neo Geo CD Toploader - PSU (POWCD-J)Buzzing when system is off?

superfry63

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Finally found an original PSU for my Neo Geo CD toploader instead of a homemade HDD PSU that came with the system when purchased.

Everything works great, but one thing I noticed is that when the PSU is plugged in it makes a buzzing/humming noise.

As soon as it's plugged into the Neo Geo CD and it's powered on it goes away.

console5.com had a cap/rebuild kit so I swapped that in and same thing.

Not a huge deal, but I was wondering if anyone else's did that?

Kujako

Quiz Detective
Gonna go with old capacitors. Not an uncommon thing to have happen.

edd_jedi

NEST Puppet
Out of interest why do you want to use the 20+ year old original PSU rather than the modern PC one? I understand having the original is nice from a collecting point of view, but I use modern PSUs for all my retro consoles now as they are more efficient (eg I have a single PSU powering my Mega Drive, Mega CD and 32X.)

superfry63

Kuroko's Training Dummy
@ Kujako - that's what I suspected, but if you notice in the original post - it's been recapped/rebuilt.

@ edd_jedi - It originally started with the "modern" pc" power supply, which had major issues. One came up for a good price so I snagged it. While waiting for the original one to come in I hacked up a modern psu to see if I could do a better job and it worked.

Was just wondering if anyone else's original buzzed as well.

superfry63

Kuroko's Training Dummy
Yes my original one buzzes, I'm just waiting for one of these to arrive and then will stop using it:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153031098525

Thanks just wasn't sure - seemed normal maybe considering the original PSU has no ground pin and the buzzing stops when it's actually powering something.

Also, for that link you shared - that is exactly what I replaced the terrible hack job PSU that came with my neo geo cd when I bought it off kijji... and it doesn't buzz or add awful scrolling lines.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I have been looking for a replacement PSU for ages so I can stop using the original.

Thanks for the link :)

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I have been looking for a replacement PSU for ages so I can stop using the original.

Thanks for the link :)

Why would you want to stop using a original quality psu over a aftermarket one?

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior

Because the original is 20+ years old and not going to last for ever.

Also its Japanese so I wont need the transformer with that one ;)

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Because the original is 20+ years old and not going to last for ever.

Also its Japanese so I wont need the transformer with that one ;)

Nothing is meant to last forever. When it breaks, you fix or by a replacement but don't collectard your PSU's. I would much rather use my trusty old original PSU's over after market. I still use a Sega Genesis Model 1 PSU for like 5 or 6 of my consoles and they have never failed me.

Last edited:

edd_jedi

NEST Puppet

Regardless of original build quality, all electronics have a lifespan. Open up any 20+ year old PSU and you will see that time has taken its toll - leaking capacitors, cracked solder joints, corroded pads/wires, degradation of the PCB itself. I also find the modern PSUs I have bought for my SNES, Mega Drive etc don't get hot like the old ones do. I agree avoid cheap rubbish, but a modern quality PSU is definitely going to be better than one quarter of a century old.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Regardless of original build quality, all electronics have a lifespan. Open up any 20+ year old PSU and you will see that time has taken its toll - leaking capacitors, cracked solder joints, corroded pads/wires, degradation of the PCB itself. I also find the modern PSUs I have bought for my SNES, Mega Drive etc don't get hot like the old ones do. I agree avoid cheap rubbish, but a modern quality PSU is definitely going to be better than one quarter of a century old.

Those old PSU's will probably outlast new one's. I use all original PSU's on my old consoles and they are still all going strong. Only way I would buy one of those flimsy after market one's is if I have no other choice. I'm not going to collectard my Power Supplies. If it Dies, It Dies.

Last edited:

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Those old PSU's will probably outlast new one's. I use all original PSU's on my old consoles and they are still all going strong. Only way I would buy one of those flimsy after market one's is if I have no other choice. I'm not going to collectard my Power Supplies. If it Dies, It Dies.

So when (not if, when) it Dies what you gunna do?

NGCD supplies are like rocking horse shit to find! I looked all over and emailed several companies all with the same reply.

Nope, sorry good luck!

So yeah I am getting one when I have the chance!

Pretty much all other consoles use 1 voltage and a standard jack so they are dead easy to replace as and when needed.

But the NGCD is a real odd PSU that you will proper have to hash if you want to sort one out.

The only other PSU I bothered to replace was my Sega Trilogy.
1 PSU and 1 plug instead of 3 PSU’s and 3 plugs.

Worth every penny that thing :)

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
So when (not if, when) it Dies what you gunna do?

Did you not read my posts (#10 and #12)? If It dies, I'll either try and fix it, hunt down a new one or last resort by a After Market one but I'm not going to let me old PSU's sit around collecting dust in fear of them dieing. I'm going to use them.

I never needed a trio. Only play one console at a time and I only own Sega Cd all in one consoles.

You could also buy a 5 pack of these for $20.

https://www.amazon.com/ClearMax-Pro..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=PPWVZ5RQP8Y76Y6550NR

Last edited:

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Did you not read my posts (#10 and #12)? If It dies, I'll either try and fix it, hunt down a new one or last resort by a After Market one but I'm not going to let me old PSU's sit around collecting dust in fear of them dieing. I'm going to use them.

I never needed a trio. Only play one console at a time and I only own Sega Cd all in one consoles.

You could also buy a 5 pack of these for $20.

https://www.amazon.com/ClearMax-Pro..._rd_t=40701&psc=1&refRID=PPWVZ5RQP8Y76Y6550NR

The original Sega PSU’s didnt have enough juice to power the MD, 32X and the CD so I just brought the uprated PSU with 3 jack adapters.

Different gens also have different jacks just to make matters worse....

But either way I am happy, I have all original single PSU’s for my Sega trilogy, Plus the 1 plug fits all and now a spare PSU for my 2nd NGCD.

Win win from my POV.

And no they aint always on ebay which is what I discovered when I was trying to track one down originally.

You see far more NGCD consoles without PSU’s on the bay than PSU’s so that tells me that they are either prone to failing or people like chucking em out for no reason....

edd_jedi

NEST Puppet
You see far more NGCD consoles without PSU’s on the bay than PSU’s so that tells me that they are either prone to failing or people like chucking em out for no reason....

Yes I noticed that when looking for the console I eventually bought, people often sell 'bare' NGCD consoles because the controllers and PSUs are in high demand and break easily, it's more lucrative to sell them separately.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
The original Sega PSU’s didnt have enough juice to power the MD, 32X and the CD so I just brought the uprated PSU with 3 jack adapters.

Different gens also have different jacks just to make matters worse....

But either way I am happy, I have all original single PSU’s for my Sega trilogy, Plus the 1 plug fits all and now a spare PSU for my 2nd NGCD.

Win win from my POV.

And no they aint always on ebay which is what I discovered when I was trying to track one down originally.

No one cares about the 32x. Throw it in the trash and emulate the 3 decent games on it.

Throw your NGCd in the trash while you're at it.

Last edited:

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
No one cares about the 32x. Throw it in the trash and emulate the 3 decent games on it.

Throw your NGCd in the trash while you're at it.

Or I keep them and cherish them for what they are.

Why dont you throw your hardware in the bin?

You seem to have a general disrespect for gaming history.

Yes I noticed that when looking for the console I eventually bought, people often sell 'bare' NGCD consoles because the controllers and PSUs are in high demand and break easily, it's more lucrative to sell them separately.

Yeah it is more lucrative to sell separately, But the reason for that is the controllers are fragile and the PSU's have a tendancy to die it seems.
Otherwise there would be no demand obv.

Controller wise I just built 2x fightsticks for my CD and CMVS so my controllers are spared.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Or I keep them and cherish them for what they are.

Why dont you throw your hardware in the bin?

You seem to have a general disrespect for gaming history.

Yes, I dont buy Garbage because it's part of VideoGame history. If the NGCD and 32x never existed, no one would miss a damn thing.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Yes, I dont buy Garbage because it's part of VideoGame history. If the NGCD and 32x never existed, no one would miss a damn thing.

Nobody would miss the MVS or AES if they never existed, Because nobody would know they missed anything.....

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
If it's buzzing, most likely the transformer is dying. Just swap it out with a new one.