Hey all...another n00b joining the community

Soundwave GI

Rugal's Thug
Hello all (or to anyone who reads this), just wanted to introduce myself to the group.
I'm a 41 year old gamer that started out on Commodore 64. I've gone through just about every system since, but never could afford to go the Neo Geo route back in the day. I'd play it at the arcades as much as I could, but could only stand at Babbages and stare at the home console while it laughed at my empty pockets.
I've been a retro game collector before, but really have started back up in the last year...and now I've gone down the hardware rabbit hole and finally am able to jump in on the Neo Geo.
Preparing to jump in to Neo Geo is a whole other animal. I've looked around the internet and seen bad info and good info, but I always seemed to come back here to read up and verify what I think I might have learned...so I thought it was time to become a member instead of a lurker.
I see a ton of knowledgeable people here who aren't afraid to tell it like it is and seem to look out for each other as well. Hopefully I can be a worthy contributor.
My Neo Geo experience so far, after collecting enough info to stick my toes in the water... Luckily for me, for some reason, I prefer the idea of collecting MVS kits. It's likely because my entire exposure to Neo Geo back in the day was in the arcade. Not that I don't want to buy any home carts, but the thought of having the arcade carts is appealing.
I recently acquired an AES console loosely based on serial number in hopes of getting a 3-5 as I run my old consoles via scart to an OSSC. When I received the console it was a 3-5, so partly lucky there. Also, about a week ago, I happened to look at the facebook marketplace and found a really nice big red MVS 2-slot cabinet which I ended up picking up. It had Ninja Combat and Sengoku...so pretty common ones.
So...my idea is to get a Daedalus converter and be able to use any games I acquire on either the console or the cabinet at any time.
I'll be looking to the forums to learn how to spot fakes, learn how to spot the best deals and just fuck around in general.
Thanks for reading if you've gone this far, and I look forward to participating in the community and helping out where I can.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
Hello all (or to anyone who reads this), just wanted to introduce myself to the group.
I'm a 41 year old gamer that started out on Commodore 64. I've gone through just about every system since, but never could afford to go the Neo Geo route back in the day. I'd play it at the arcades as much as I could, but could only stand at Babbages and stare at the home console while it laughed at my empty pockets.
I've been a retro game collector before, but really have started back up in the last year...and now I've gone down the hardware rabbit hole and finally am able to jump in on the Neo Geo.
Preparing to jump in to Neo Geo is a whole other animal. I've looked around the internet and seen bad info and good info, but I always seemed to come back here to read up and verify what I think I might have learned...so I thought it was time to become a member instead of a lurker.
I see a ton of knowledgeable people here who aren't afraid to tell it like it is and seem to look out for each other as well. Hopefully I can be a worthy contributor.
My Neo Geo experience so far, after collecting enough info to stick my toes in the water... Luckily for me, for some reason, I prefer the idea of collecting MVS kits. It's likely because my entire exposure to Neo Geo back in the day was in the arcade. Not that I don't want to buy any home carts, but the thought of having the arcade carts is appealing.
I recently acquired an AES console loosely based on serial number in hopes of getting a 3-5 as I run my old consoles via scart to an OSSC. When I received the console it was a 3-5, so partly lucky there. Also, about a week ago, I happened to look at the facebook marketplace and found a really nice big red MVS 2-slot cabinet which I ended up picking up. It had Ninja Combat and Sengoku...so pretty common ones.
So...my idea is to get a Daedalus converter and be able to use any games I acquire on either the console or the cabinet at any time.
I'll be looking to the forums to learn how to spot fakes, learn how to spot the best deals and just fuck around in general.
Thanks for reading if you've gone this far, and I look forward to participating in the community and helping out where I can.

inb4 first NeoSD comment.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Welcome to the money pit.

Your pockets will be empty again in no time fear not.

Soundwave GI

Rugal's Thug
Welcome to the money pit.

Your pockets will be empty again in no time fear not.

Hah, yep...it's already begun. Besides the console and cabinet, have already started eyeing up carts and ordered the Universe BIOS for my system.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Welcome aboard! Reading a lot, then deciding to join tends to work out well. I think you'll do fine.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
Hah, yep...it's already begun. Besides the console and cabinet, have already started eyeing up carts and ordered the Universe BIOS for my system.

Yep, don't hesitate to go to the market place. We got all kinds of scoopz.

Soundwave GI

Rugal's Thug
Yep, don't hesitate to go to the market place. We got all kinds of scoopz.

I've looked a bit on the marketplace, but don't want to be that guy who just joins to buy. Also, have to make informed decisions. At least I feel I can trust that what I buy here is authentic or at least check on a seller before I buy. Is NeoStore decent?

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Welcome. And Shockwave > Soundwave.
shoc.gif