MVS Legit Cart Pics and Chips

quickray

n00b
I understand we need to check the boards on MVS games compared to the MVS Scans website to check and see if carts are legit.

I’ve always questioned the chips themselves though. For example, do the names, letter, and numbers need to match on each chip? For instance, an MVS Scan resource may say “Toshiba 9509EAI” while the same chip on my board says “Toshiba 9587EA.” Now, I’m completely making this scenario up, but does this the mean the chips and boards are therefore not legit?

I suppose my question is, to what level of matching does your board need to match the MVS scans page? Is it chip placement? Or do the titles, letters, and numbers on the chips need to match completely?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Those are date codes and lot codes to identify when and where a particular mask rom was manufactured. None of them need to match any of the other chips.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
The primary use of board scans is to compare the PCB and chip type/layout with the cartridge in your hands.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
The primary use of board scans is to compare the PCB and chip type/layout with the cartridge in your hands.

Also to learn the patterns of what a legit cart "should" look like. Not all the variants are there but most of them are as to give you an idea of usual identifiers of real games.