Who has time to play RDR2?

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
The game is so incredible some sites are calling the best game ever made. Its definitely game of the year, not sure if its the best. I have about ten hours in and work a full time job. I also play battle royal COD4 and intend on getting the new fallout. The story in red dead is good I wish I had more time.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I've heard from more than a few people that the game is somewhat boring. They are saying that the first one was better.

I'm gonna wait this one out and buy it when it's like 30 bucks or maybe wait till a 20 dollar complete version comes out.

Last edited:

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
The first one was better, yes, mainly due to the story being quite a bit better, at least IMO. 2 is still really good, great writing, interesting mission design, okay enough characters, but the original's story was really, really good, and this one's maybe a 6 out of 10, story-wise. It's still engrossing to play, but the narrative isn't there.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Alot of people are saying the game is beautiful 10/10 but the gameplay is kind of sluggish and has a shit load of cut scenes. Is that true?

thermaltreasure

Ninja Combat Warrior
Movement around camp is sluggish, I was ready to write the game off as a 7/10.

Followed this Reddit guide for altering the controls and holy shit it plays completely differently. Had a ton of fun exploring this evening, it plays like a completely new game. Whoever set the defaults needs a slap

https://www.reddit.com/r/reddeadred.../how_to_remove_mash_x_to_sprint_in_rdr2other/

Pacing and controls aside, this is the greatest open world ever. It's teeming with life and you just don't see the same shit twice. Like GTA5, the little touches are absurd. Can't wait to go fishing again

Last edited:

Marek

Banned
I got 50% story completion in 2 days, then fucked off and went hunting for a full 8 hours.

My full review incoming when i land.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Kind of sounds like a proto-Westworld.
I'll pick it up for the kids when I rebuy a PS4 at the end of the year.
Yay

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
I am enjoying this game a lot. Just wish the controls were a little more responsive and you can move faster through the camp. So far, I am 10 hours in and already blown away.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I got 50% story completion in 2 days, then fucked off and went hunting for a full 8 hours.

My full review incoming when i land.

The hunting looks fun, i really enjoyed that in GTAV. Glad they expanded upon that

Soundwave GI

Rugal's Thug
I plan on playing it as much as I can after Spider-Man. Like a lot of you have said, I rarely get the chance to play for extended time either, but I find time once or twice a week to get a few hours at a time in. Being a completionist doesn’t help. I’ve had Spider-Man since day 1 and am only like 70% done. RDR2 looks great and I want to play it now, but I also like to give Rockstar and Bethesda games a chance to put a few patches out before I play anyway. Has anyone played it on the XB1X? I heard it never really dips below 30fps.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Awesome game but seeing that we're mostly grown men with "responsibilities", who even has to play games that eat up this much time? There was a time when I loved this sort of game, now I just think "I need to do something useful with my time". Last couple of years I have been really enjoying games meant to be played in short bursts.

Getting old or just losing interest in modern day gaming?
I'm in the same boat. The trailers look fucking amazing, but the description of the game makes it sound like more than I have time for. All that stuff with the camp and you have to provide for the gang and whatnot. I already have to provide for a gang in real life. Make sure they have a place to live and food to eat, etc. The last thing I want to do after working all day to provide for them is to spend additional hours providing for a second gang.

If this game had hit when I was in my 20s and single, I would have been all over it. I loved Red Dead Revolver. But I didn't have time for the first Redemption and I definitely don't have time for this, as much as I'm sure I'd have loved it 20 years ago.

Soundwave GI

Rugal's Thug
I've heard from more than a few people that the game is somewhat boring. They are saying that the first one was better.

I'm gonna wait this one out and buy it when it's like 30 bucks or maybe wait till a 20 dollar complete version comes out.

Depends what is boring to one person or another. My friend has about 20 hours in and there are things like managing your body weight, health of your horse, etc. That’s definitely going to be boring for some. I don’t really care much for that type of thing, but if they’ve found a way to make something like that fun or interesting, I’ll at least give it a try.

Marek

Banned
I'm in the same boat. The trailers look fucking amazing, but the description of the game makes it sound like more than I have time for. All that stuff with the camp and you have to provide for the gang and whatnot. I already have to provide for a gang in real life. Make sure they have a place to live and food to eat, etc. The last thing I want to do after working all day to provide for them is to spend additional hours providing for a second gang.

If this game had hit when I was in my 20s and single, I would have been all over it. I loved Red Dead Revolver. But I didn't have time for the first Redemption and I definitely don't have time for this, as much as I'm sure I'd have loved it 20 years ago.

Its really not that bad man.

Providing for camp simply means donating enough loot, i.e. gold pocket watches so you can buy all the camp upgrades.

Missions pay really well so youll have everything bought 10 hours in.

Other than that its exactly like GTA. Story missions, side quests. Etc.

djjimmyjames

NG.com Tattoo Artist.,
15 Year Member
I think its stellar the more I play the better it gets including the story

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Its really not that bad man.

Providing for camp simply means donating enough loot, i.e. gold pocket watches so you can buy all the camp upgrades.

Missions pay really well so youll have everything bought 10 hours in.

Other than that its exactly like GTA. Story missions, side quests. Etc.
I wouldn't have time for a GTA game now either, though. Even something like MSG3, which I loved, whenever I think of replaying it, I think about having to hunt a snake to eat or something and that's enough to put the kibosh on that idea.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
It's incredibly slow-paced. Very good on a technical level (though it has the worst use of HDR I've ever seen, seriously why bother) and great writing, but sloooow. Progression feels slow for the sake of being slow, kind of grating on me a little bit at 40% or so through the main story.

Load times aren't terrible. They're shorter than GTA 5 on current gen, and much faster than the ones in Assassin's Creed Odyssey, for instance.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I wish I still had the time to play games like this. After an hour inevitably I have to go do something else on days off. Damn adulthood!

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
I will probably finally get the game when I'm less busy, but yep... I agree completely with this thread. Quality over quantity would be preferred.

Tripredacus

Three 6 Mafia
10 Year Member
I've played a good amount of Star Wars games but I don't think any of them had R2D2 in them. :crying:

Lukejaywalker23

Playa' From, Around The Way.,

Looking at Rockstars track record you maybe waiting a very long time for the price point.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
RS has zero respect for the player's time. Took me 36 hours to finish it (including both parts of the epilogue), maybe 50% of which, at most, was spent doing something worthwhile. The other 18 hours or more was spent following NPCs to missions at pre-determined (slow) speeds, riding horses for goddamn ever, walking insanely slowly in towns, and watching elaborate animations play out that actively hinder the controls.

The epilogue was the cherry on top. Just a complete waste of time. Half the missions are aggravating in structure-
Spoiler:
the best work John can find is bounty-hunting. Typical mission: ride to meet John's partner, follow to where the bounty is, rope the guy, take him to town, have him escape, catch him again, take him back to town again. It's awful.

And the controls are complete trash, throughout the game. Already mentioned how over-animated everything is, add how slow and unresponsive character movement is, plus the retarded horse-riding (realism does not equal fun, and RS knows it but doesn't care), and it's just a slog.

Seriously overrated game that gets worse the more time you put into it.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
You make time.
I get rather tired of people that say they dont have time, then i see them watching sports all weekend.

That being said, i did not make time for RDR2. Not a setting that interests me.

SNKNostalgia

Avid Neo-Expert
Overall enjoying it 30 hours in, but man... it has it's flaws for sure. Pump action shotgun and the high velocity repeater rifles kinda breaks the challenge. Got me a good horse this time and named it Seabiscuit.