Noctua mod kit for Dreamcast is freaking expensive!

Vendest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
Do you guys know of any other place that sells a full kit for a cheaper price?

Noctua mod kit_1.png

Noctua mod kit_2.png

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Wtf is the point of this? OK so you make the fan quieter. The dreamcast still has the loudest CD laser out there anyway. It's still gonna be a noisy little bastard.

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
Wtf is the point of this? OK so you make the fan quieter. The dreamcast still has the loudest CD laser out there anyway. It's still gonna be a noisy little bastard.
Add this fan to an ODE replacement for the optical drive, and you've got a silent DC that can play the entire library.

Here's mine. Black Sport Edition with USB-GDROM, Noctua fan, DreamPSU and (currently) a 100GB HDD that I plan on upgrading to a 500GB SSD once the price for those gets lower. The hard-drive is the loudest thing in this.
qcDiNUT.jpg

But you're not wrong, though. The fan is only a small portion of the noise the DC generates, the majority is the drive.

Vendest

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
I have installed a GDemu and the only thing I hear now is the fan

Fuckwit1200

NAM-75 Vet
:D
@ opt2not.
i'm using a MNEMO usb-to-gdi too, assuming your setup is the same but customised?!
my console is the jet-black base and transparent blue upper housing NTSC-U 110/120vAC input using a mnemo, nowhere near as neat and tidy as illustrated. (AT&T)
just a usb cable cut and rejoined out of the rear right most vent. then rejoined cable and added a ferrite shield with a disk eject redundancy, which is a two core wire coiled around the usb cable to the point of the shield/clamp. :glee:
yet to try it in a PAL-EUR console, they don't have the metal heat exchangers like the early atlantic/pacific versions do. :( (just plastic SHIT!)

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Mine is also running a GDemu.
The only noise now is the fan but that aint really noticeable so I wont bother changing it out until it dies.
Also hoping the price of the replacement PSU's goes down by the time I need one!

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
:D
@ opt2not.
i'm using a MNEMO usb-to-gdi too, assuming your setup is the same but customised?!
Not sure what you mean. My Mnemo board is the USB-GDROM version. It takes GDI and CDI images, which is great since CDI's are so much smaller than the GDI rips.

Also, by customized, are you referring to the HDD installation?
I have a SATA to USB adapter installed so that I can have that HDD connected to the USB-GDROM, instead of relying on a USB Stick drive. The HDD tray is 3D printed (source is easily google-able), as well as the Noctua fan mod. I've also installed the DreamPSU, which runs the DC a lot cooler. It was a kickstarter a while ago, and has gone to full production now.

I think the only remaining mod I'd like to do is to replace the Orange LED to blue or purple. And of course swap out the HDD with a bigger non-mechanical one. That'll come later when prices are cheaper for larger SSD's.