Neo Geo MVS Mismatched Serials

quickray

n00b
Greetings all! I'm a newbie here. I bought my 4 Slot MVS January of this year and have started my collection of MVS games.

I am ashamed to admit it but I am getting addicted to collecting the full MVS kits.

However, I have a question. Does it ruin the value of the kit when the serials do not match between the box and the cartridge? I have found several MVS kits I'd purchase on Ebay in the past, but the serials do not match, so I decided not to buy.

Are mismatched serials not too big a deal if everything else is legit? Or is it a big No No in the collector world?

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Stop wasting your money and worrying about autistic shit like matching numbers. You are far too late to the game. Sell that shit and buy a neo sd.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Does it hurt the value, yea sorta.

Anyone looking to spend the extra cash on obtaining full kits is going to want matching serials.

With that said, you really shouldn't be looking to collect Neo games from an investment standpoint. Who knows if they will retain their value in the future. An item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
It does affect the value, specifically with games that have serial numbers printed on the cart and kit box labels. This applies to most US/English games released from '93 onwards. Even then, many of these kits were frequently shipped with mismatched serials, often a digit or two off. Early titles had serial number stickers that were applied haphazardly by operators and therefore have no bearing on value, at least in my opinion. The same goes for Japanese games, some of which came with serial number stickers on the carts only. As to whether it's a "no no" to collectors, well that's up to the collector. MVS kit collecting can easily become an OCD nightmare since a lot of kits have missing parts, damage to the box, mismatched or removed serial numbers, etc. In fact, I would not recommend starting down the road at this point. Even if money is not an issue, you will have difficulty finding the rarer kits regardless of price. They just don't come up for sale.

Gaston

Mature's Make-up Artist
Greetings all! I'm a newbie here. I bought my 4 Slot MVS January of this year and have started my collection of MVS games.

I am ashamed to admit it but I am getting addicted to collecting the full MVS kits.

However, I have a question. Does it ruin the value of the kit when the serials do not match between the box and the cartridge? I have found several MVS kits I'd purchase on Ebay in the past, but the serials do not match, so I decided not to buy.

Are mismatched serials not too big a deal if everything else is legit? Or is it a big No No in the collector world?

Like wyo said; even common titles cost a lot more if you want matching serial numbers. Don't even bother. Buy loose carts and shockboxes, looks better and it won't detract from the fun you'll have playing the games. You ARE going to play them, right?

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
mismatched serials are a NO-NO when collecting kits. The container's serial should match the authentic label of the cart's serial.
Happy Hunting.
BB