Neo Geo CD, works until I screw it together...

Kujako

Quiz Detective
So I have a kinda beat up Neo Geo CD, original top loading unit. Everything works, until I screw it back together. Then I get no sound, no video. Take it back apart, and it's working again. Problem seems to be isolated to the front IO board (where the controllers connect).

Any ideas?

Last edited:

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I would check for anything being crushed/pinched or bent out of shape when you tighten the 2 halves back together.
Also look for any shielding etc being not seated properly.

Never stripped a NGCD so dont know any specifics to look for sorry.

Kujako

Quiz Detective
I would check for anything being crushed/pinched or bent out of shape when you tighten the 2 halves back together.
Also look for any shielding etc being not seated properly.

Never stripped a NGCD so dont know any specifics to look for sorry.

This is before the two halves are back together. This is just screwing down the PCBs to one half of the box, leaving the CD drive disconnected. It's kinda weird.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
This is before the two halves are back together. This is just screwing down the PCBs to one half of the box, leaving the CD drive disconnected. It's kinda weird.

Is the PCB bending at all? Maybe putting pressure on a joint or a broken trace?

Kujako

Quiz Detective
Weird, went together without issue this time. About the 5th time I've tried, so I guess going one screw at a time was the trick? Seems odd, but closing it up before it changes it's mind.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Weird, went together without issue this time. About the 5th time I've tried, so I guess going one screw at a time was the trick? Seems odd, but closing it up before it changes it's mind.

It is indeed odd, I suspect thats a fault that will rear its head again in time!

Kujako

Quiz Detective
It is indeed odd, I suspect thats a fault that will rear its head again in time!

What I THINK happened, is that I didn't have the right screws in the right holes. The Neo Geo CD uses three different screw lengths, all with the same threading. I think I got them sorted wrong on all but the last assembly attempt. Now why that should mater, not sure. Could be a grounding issue (but then why did it work without screws).