4 slot cab

J69

Hardened Shock Trooper
I have bought a 4 slot cab that is coming without a mobo. Will it play a 1 slot or is the wiring too different?

The 1 slots in the UK are a lot cheaper than 4 slots

Thanks

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Yea just throw a single slot in it, its literally plug and play.

EDIT: This isnt the case.

Last edited:

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
The wiring on multi-slot cabs is different from JAMMA cabs. Sometimes referred to as MVS. Notable differences are the rearrangement of service and test switches along with the replacement of balanced mono to stereo sound. Speaker impedance matching becomes an issue. Plugging in a 1-slot or any other JAMMA board in an MVS wired cab will fry the audio amp. Short story, 1-slots are not plug and play in multi-slot cab.

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
I don't deal in cabs, but multislot mvs boards were not 100% jamma, which would imply a 4 slot cab is not going to be wired correctly for a 1 slot jamma board?

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
The wiring on multi-slot cabs is different from JAMMA cabs. Sometimes referred to as MVS. Notable differences are the rearrangement of service and test switches along with the replacement of balanced mono to stereo sound. Speaker impedance matching becomes an issue. Plugging in a 1-slot or any other JAMMA board in an MVS wired cab will fry the audio amp. Short story, 1-slots are not plug and play in multi-slot cab.

Thanks for the clarification

J69

Hardened Shock Trooper
Is that the same for all 1 slots? I know there are a number of different ones and iirc only the MV1FZ is a straight plug and play in a jamma cab

daskrabs

Ace Ghost Pilot
10 Year Member
I'm not certain you'd damage a 1-slot or JAMMA board in an MVS cab. I've seen an MV-1C board play fine in a 2-slot, and an MV-1F play fine in mono mode on a Neo Candy 29 wired in stereo. Having said that, it would be better to have something like the JNX v1.2 Big Red Adapter for optimal sound quality and compatibility. Check your cabinet's speaker wiring to be sure.

Last edited:

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
Is that the same for all 1 slots? I know there are a number of different ones and iirc only the MV1FZ is a straight plug and play in a jamma cab

All 1-slots are JAMMA. If you need an alternative to the 4-slot, look for either 2-slot or 6-slot boards.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
I'm not certain you'd damage a 1-slot or JAMMA board in an MVS cab. I've seen an MV-1C board play fine in a 2-slot, and an MV-1F play fine in mono mode on a Neo Candy 29 wired in stereo. Having said that, it would be better to have something like the JNX v1.2 Big Red Adapter for optimal sound quality and compatibility. Check your cabinet's speaker wiring to be sure.

Outside of frying the audio amp, the rest of the board would work "fine" outside of the aforementioned switches. The main reason why the JNX adapter exists is for impedance matching to prevent said frying of the audio amp. A friend of mine didn't heed my warning about JAMMA boards in an MVS wired cab until he burnt his hand on the blazing hot audio amp swapping boards after playing the game. He begrudgingly bought the JNX adapter and the problem went away. BTW, the audio amp frying isn't an instantaneous process, it's more like a medium to slow bleed.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
Some 1-slot board models have a switch that will allow them to work with either the jamma or MVS standard.