Did Turbo Duo have the Greatest Pack in Games of All Time?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Turbo Duo in North America came with the following pack in games.

1. Y's Book I&II
2. Gate of Thunder
3. Bonk's Adventure
4. Bonks Revenge
5. Bomberman

Was there ever a more epic pack in bundle for another console, because I can't think of any?

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
I dunno. Tough to decide between that and saturn. The saturn 3 pack was also pretty damn awesome.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I dunno. Tough to decide between that and saturn. The saturn 3 pack was also pretty damn awesome.

You just made this thread a lot more difficult than it should have been.

Another honorable mention: SNES with the Mario World/Mario All Stars pack in, but I still think the Duo is better.

Niko

Whip's Subordinate
Nah the SNES with Super Mario All Stars was the best hands down.

The Turbo Duo had the more diverse collection of pack in games though.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Mario World and SMB3 are better individual games than anything in pretty much any other pack in, overall I'd take the Duo's variety. I think most of the retail Duo boxes had a few extra random hucards like Ninja Spirit thrown in too.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
In terms of quality sure, but t the purpose of a pack in is to sell consoles.

With that in mind it has to be Tetris, Wii Sports, or one of the Mario packs.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
In terms of quality sure, but t the purpose of a pack in is to sell consoles.

With that in mind it has to be Tetris, Wii Sports, or one of the Mario packs.

That was the purpose back then, but we're talking about now. Looking back, what console had the best pack in games?

I feel the Saturn pack in is the only one that is close. My opinion of course. The Duo pack in list is a good variety, but slightly held back because of lack of replayability. I can replay those games now, but in the 90's I would have got bored after a few weeks.

From the Saturn pack ins, virtua cop would have been beaten in a day. Also, did the console even come with the gun? Virtua Fighter would have gotten old fast, unless you had a bunch of friends over playing it daily. Daytona USA was probably the strongest title in that list as far a single player games go, and is maybe the only title in that pack in that has proven itself over the years as a must own for the console.

Tetris obviously has unlimited replayability, but is limited to not having a diverse genre of game to choose from. It's obviously one of the best pack ins of all time. I'm not really a tetris fan, but I can see this.

The Snes pack ins I dont know. I'm a pretty firm believer that SMB 3 isn't the holy grail of game dev and design. I personally think Bonks Revenge shits all over it. I'm sure im in the minority there. SM World was a damn good pack in game. But again, there's no variety. Just a bunch of similar SMB games.

I can see why people would pick some of the other consoles as best pack in, but I also am curious if these people have actually invested time in these other games? Orr are possibly the gaming/collector type that own nothing but Nintendo. I see that a lot with collectors. They will have hundreds of nintendo games, and a dusty genesis and tg16 in the corner. Don't own a single game on the consoles other than Keith and Sonic, and just talk about how those consoles suck.

Last edited:

Yoshi

20 Year Member
The Sega CD originally came with Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Columns, Revenge of Shinobi, and Sol Feace.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
The Sega CD originally came with Streets of Rage, Golden Axe, Columns, Revenge of Shinobi, and Sol Feace.

That multipack CD is full of great games, but it had much less impact IMO since those of us who had already had a Genesis for a while had already played those. The same could be said with the Duo's Bonks and random hucards, but the Duo was being marketed to people who never owned the Turbografx to begin with.

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
Why do you have a Paypal link in your sig?

View attachment 52050

Thank you for asking. A member here suggested for me to have a way for those who enjoy my works in the creative forum, to have a way to show some support. FYI, all of my custom MVS spines and inserts are free to download and they are extremely time consuming. The donation option is just a way to show some love if you so choose. Remember, Southtown charges you for any and all artwork on their website and they are all submitted by artists like me. I am not in any way condemning them for it; in fact I use their services all the time and their product is top notch. I hope this clears things up a bit. Peace

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I saw what must be the worst bundle in a shop just today. Xbox Fortnite bundle. That's right, an Xbox, with a digital game, that's free to anyone anyway.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I saw what must be the worst bundle in a shop just today. Xbox Fortnite bundle. That's right, an Xbox, with a digital game, that's free to anyone anyway.

Well, Sony knows their crowd. The majority of ForkKnife players dont understand basic mathematics. They'll just see that ForkKnife box and buy it, or their parents will.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
Go look at what the included skin is going for on ebay.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master

You can up that a bit with the CDX, as it came with that disc as well as Ecco and Sonic CD.

Still, my vote goes to Tetris with the Gameboy.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
It was a glorious Xmas with an Atari 2600 under the tree. The pack-ins were Pac-Man and Combat. For a 9 year old that didn’t know better, this was the shit. Tank Pong for life!

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide

The difference was, it didn't have the Genesis in that pack, so you either couldn't play it after your purchase, or you already had those games one way or the other on your old Genny. Disqualified.