If I buy a Neo Geo CD console, should I absolutely expect to replace the laser?

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
This has been a very interesting read. I am new here and have always been interested in the Neo Geo, but never owned one. I just bought a Neo Geo CD (top loader) and am waiting for it to arrive. I am aware of its limitations, but for well under half the price of an AES, MVS conversion, or even a CDZ, I figured it's got to be worth a try.

I completely understand that what made cartridge/arcade games great in the 80s/90s was the instant loading, but as we now live in an era where modern games consoles like the PS4 require regular 40GB software updates before you can play the games, and Zelda BOTW (which I recently just completed on the Switch) loads for 30+ seconds between each scene, I don't think I'll find it that much of a pain for the majority of games.
The whole point of the AES when it was released in 1990, was for it to be the same as the arcade in every respect. So, the Neo Geo CD goes against that, in the way that it has long load times, and smaller sprites than AES/MVS in some cases (for example, Art Of Fighting 3). Players in the arcade don't put up with long load times in games. I don't know why the Neo CD had a 1x drive (technically, it wasn't exactly 1x speed)- were CD drives really that expensive to manufacture in those days, that it had to be 1x for cost reasons?

Last edited:

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
That's fine and true but you're comparing a pretty big open world action rpg to fighting, puzzle, and shtmup games. Which Fighting, Shtmup, or Puzzle game on the Switch, Ps4, Xb1 has ridiculous load times?

You are also comparing a modern console to one that is 20+ years old.

The whole point of the AES when it was released in 1990, was for it to be the same as the arcade in every respect. So, the Neo Geo CD goes against that, in the way that it has long load times, and smaller sprites than AES/MVS in some cases (for example, Art Of Fighting 3). Players in the arcade don't put up with long load times in games. I don't know why the Neo CD had a 1x drive (technically, it wasn't exactly 1x speed)- were CD drives really that expensive to manufacture in those days, that it had to be 1x for cost reasons?

Interesting read for you here:
http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~wdutton/comm533/CD-ROM.htm

Just one quote from it though....
"1994

4X CD-ROM Drive Throughput doubles to 600 KBps. Prices for 4X drives are initially $1,000."

edd_jedi

NEST Puppet
The whole point of the AES when it was released in 1990, was for it to be the same as the arcade in every respect.

Agreed, the Neo Geo CD is a compromise. But what I like about it is the only compromise (apart from a few minor difference in some games as mentioned) is loading time. That makes it better than other CD consoles of the era, eg the Sega Saturn, because the console versions of games like Virtua Fighter, Daytona, Sega Rally etc on those systems were all inferior in many ways to the arcade versions. I can put up with waiting a few seconds if the end product is (generally) the same, and the cost is hugely lower.

I had a Sega Saturn and remember many games like the Street Fighter series had loading times between matches, sure it wasn't ideal but I don't recall it ruining the game. But, we will see when it arrives later this week! Will let you know how I get on. I love having real hardware over emulators, I have most other 80s/90s systems, but have up til now never pulled the trigger on an NG purely down to cost.

Also, if this ever materialises, I can see the NGCD becoming a lot more popular.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
You are also comparing a modern console to one that is 20+ years old.

Interesting read for you here:
http://www-bcf.usc.edu/~wdutton/comm533/CD-ROM.htm

Just one quote from it though....
"1994

4X CD-ROM Drive Throughput doubles to 600 KBps. Prices for 4X drives are initially $1,000."

Exactly, it's hard to make the comparison and that's why I responded to his comment on Software updates and load times. 20+ years ago the Aes and Mvs were available as well with zero load times. In 2018 the Aes and Mvs are still available with zero load times.

Buying a NeoCd would make sense 20 years ago. Now I dont understand why anyone would want one.

People are using devices like the Super Sd, Rhea etc, to avoid optical media and to cut load times and some want to jump right back into it with better options available. This is a head scratcher for sure.

Last edited:

edd_jedi

NEST Puppet
Yes true, I was just saying that waiting to play games while they load/update/install etc is nothing new, nor is it something that has been eradicated in 2018. Loading tapes on the C64 makes the Neo Geo CD seem positively futuristic :) don't worry I understand the AES/MVS is better though, not trying to suggest otherwise.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Exactly, it's hard to make the comparison and that's why I responded to his comment on Software updates and load times. 20+ years ago the Aes and Mvs were available as well with zero load times. In 2018 the Aes and Mvs are still available with zero load times.

Buying a NeoCd would make sense 20 years ago. Now I dont understand why anyone would want one.

People are using devices like the Super Sd, Rae, etc, to avoid optical media and to cut load times and some want to jump right back into it with better options available. This is a head scratcher for sure.

And the chances are a ODE will be available for the NGCD soon to.

The only reason to own any old hardware is because you enjoy it and want to have the nostalgia of playing those games on that system whatever it may be.

You could argue its pointless owning a MVS any more because I can get instant loading of games on my Pi or PC also at the fraction of the cost, But that doesnt stop me getting a CMVS and some games to go in it.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
And the chances are a ODE will be available for the NGCD soon to.

The only reason to own any old hardware is because you enjoy it and want to have the nostalgia of playing those games on that system whatever it may be.

You could argue its pointless owning a MVS any more because I can get instant loading of games on my Pi or PC also at the fraction of the cost, But that doesnt stop me getting a CMVS and some games to go in it.

The problem with playing on the Pi or PC is the lag and emulation is 100 percent spot on. I would have ditched all my original setups if I found a device that ran every platform I own perfectly with zero lag.

Those ODE's were made for consoles that only ran Cds. The Saturn, Dreamcast, PC Engine Duo, are consoles that run cds. You have no other way of playing them unless its through optical media or a ODE now. Do you think people would have bought the Super Sd if it wasn't for the CD support? No, they would have just stuck with the everdrive.

A Neo Ode would be freaking pointless now. Again, why would anyone want a NeoCd when the Aes and Mvs combined with the NeoSd are available.

Making a ODE for a console that only had CD format makes sense but for Neo which could be played on a Cart makes zero sense. Let's make a Ode for a console that failed and is the one less desirable out of the 3 formats available on the Neo. Does that make any sense?

I pretty sure there are still a good amount of people that would purchase one that own a NeoCd but I dont know why.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I pretty sure there are still a good amount of people that would purchase one that own a NeoCd but I dont know why.

Because cost.

Obviously no ODE is on the market for the CD yet but the chances are it will be cheap enough that you could buy a NGCD and the ODE for less than the cost of a AES and NeoSD.

AES and MVS are expensive that was the drawback than and its still the same now.

NGCD's are affordable that really is all their is to it.

As for emulation the Pi aint perfect but with some tinkering etc its very much playable, And emulation on the PC is solid.
The biggest problem with the Pi is the lag introduced by the LCD in my opinion and that can be reduced pretty well by setting your TV to "game" mode.
Seems to work on my TV anyways, I also overclocked its slightly and that seem to run as lag free as I can get it without the obvious slow downs in Slug etc which obv done count.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Because cost.

Obviously no ODE is on the market for the CD yet but the chances are it will be cheap enough that you could buy a NGCD and the ODE for less than the cost of a AES and NeoSD.

AES and MVS are expensive that was the drawback than and its still the same now.

NGCD's are affordable that really is all their is to it.

As for emulation the Pi aint perfect but with some tinkering etc its very much playable, And emulation on the PC is solid.
The biggest problem with the Pi is the lag introduced by the LCD in my opinion and that can be reduced pretty well by setting your TV to "game" mode.
Seems to work on my TV anyways, I also overclocked its slightly and that seem to run as lag free as I can get it without the obvious slow downs in Slug etc which obv done count.

Cost my Ass. Everyone uses the cost as a reason why they purchased the NeoCd in 2018. People spend money on all kinds of Video Game shit. Ps4, Xb1, Switch, Saturn, Snes, MegaDrive, Games, Upscalers, PVM monitors, special cables, fancy shelving units, stupid fucking memorabilia, and whatever the fuck else you could possibly think of that is video game related.

And people bring up cost as being a factor when you know that the Neo has always been a expensive platform. So you bring up cost as being the factor while you are surrounded by a bunch of video game shit, that If you factored the price, you probably could have bought 8 Aes Consoles and like 5 NeoSd's. GTFO with that cost shit. Poor excuse

Sell some of your shit and play the Neo the right way. Or save up for a few months.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Hey Razo, here's an idea: If you don't like the NGCD, don't buy one. If someone does want to buy one, let them. Problem solved.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Hey Razo, here's an idea: If you don't like the NGCD, don't buy one. If someone does want to buy one, let them. Problem solved.

I'm trying to save Noobs from making the same mistakes that you Fagits made.

Same reason you bash on shit you dont like, like the Neo Mini. I'm doing the same with the NeoCd. Just trying to save someone from regret.

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
There's no mistake, we are enlightened, we know the way.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Cost my Ass. Everyone uses the cost as a reason why they purchased the NeoCd in 2018. People spend money on all kinds of Video Game shit. Ps4, Xb1, Switch, Saturn, Snes, MegaDrive, Games, Upscalers, PVM monitors, special cables, fancy shelving units, stupid fucking memorabilia, and whatever the fuck else you could possibly think of that is video game related.

And people bring up cost as being a factor when you know that the Neo has always been a expensive platform. So you bring up cost as being the factor while you are surrounded by a bunch of video game shit, that If you factored the price, you probably could have bought 8 Aes Consoles and like 5 NeoSd's. GTFO with that cost shit. Poor excuse

Sell some of your shit and play the Neo the right way. Or save up for a few months.
Ok lets make this simple for you.

The cheapest AES I can find on ebay atm is £235 + Neo SD £440 + Shipping ??? = Lets say £700 for a nice even number.

Cheapest NGCD I can find on ebay atm is £90 + A unknown ODE that is not released yet but I am pretty sure its going to be less than £610.

So yeah, No regrets or mistakes made here, I have a NGCD with 3 pads and a shed load of games that I enjoy playing and if and when they bring out a ODE for it I will have one of them to and still be less than half the price of the above.

edd_jedi

NEST Puppet
Yes cost is exactly why I went for the CD instead of AES. I paid £125 for it with a controller (which seem to sell for £40-50 on their own) and I just bought Fatal Fury 3 for £8 shipped. I can also play burned games if I want to, but generally prefer to collect originals. It's not that I can't afford £700 for an AES + multicart or £300+ for a consolised MVS, I just don't think the loading times will bother me to the tune of £500. Maybe for some people they do.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member

The cheapest AES I can find on ebay atm is £235 + Neo SD £440 + Shipping ??? = Lets say £700 for a nice even number.

Cheapest NGCD I can find on ebay atm is £90 + A unknown ODE that is not released yet but I am pretty sure its going to be less than £610.

So yeah, No regrets or mistakes made here, I have a NGCD with 3 pads and a shed load of games that I enjoy playing and if and when they bring out a ODE for it I will have one of them to and still be less than half the price of the above.

700 pounds is a small price to pay for owning one of the best VideoGame systems known to man and also having a complete library at your fingertips. Small Price for playing Neo games as they should be played instead of playing something like this.

https://youtu.be/GM-mkMq9U6s

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

A Neo CD + a 100 pack of CDRs is even cheaper!

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
700 pounds is a small price to pay for owning one of the best VideoGame systems known to man and also having a complete library at your fingertips. Small Price for playing Neo games as they should be played instead of playing something like this.

https://youtu.be/GM-mkMq9U6s

Yeah?

Tell that to all the guys who cant afford to drop £700 on a gaming system thats over 20 years old.

AES and MVS are the bollocks nobody denies that.

But they really do break the bank!

So when I can actually buy a SD pro and have spare cash to plug into my MVS I will but until then I will be giving my NGCD more love ;)

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Yeah?

Tell that to all the guys who cant afford to drop £700 on a gaming system thats over 20 years old.

AES and MVS are the bollocks nobody denies that.

But they really do break the bank!

So when I can actually buy a SD pro and have spare cash to plug into my MVS I will but until then I will be giving my NGCD more love ;)

Ok, you do that.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
You'll make the £700 back in no time if you use the time spent waiting for ngcd games to load on a few extra shifts at work.

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Wut? :conf:

You can bootleg MVS games... get them all on one big ROMZ cart... or get a flash cart... the latter are cheaper than buying the real deal whichever way you want to cut it.

... And lots of MVS games are not cheaper than their CD counterparts, and some prime examples are stated above.

Rather than worry about whether you've already posted in a thread, I'd worry more about the drivel you are posting. :vik:
Eff off you're missing the point. The cost of the cd isnt cheap enough to be a viable option anymore. When combine with the fact that the load time on most fighting games is shit on a system thats 90% fighters it becomes rather pointless. I've got a CDZ and around 60ish titles. Of those the only things that get constant consideration are the non fighters. A CMVS and neo sd is the over all cheapest best way to play on authentic hardware these days.

I dont' get how you didnt infer that from what I was saying.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6u-tp2f_Pt8 I think this should be mentioned and pointed out.

https://www.facebook.com/TylerLongCless/videos/vb.809550116/10156350314355117/?type=3 this is also one that i made to show a friend loading of metal slug. Once it loads the stages in ms1 it doesnt load again. Only once per stage.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Again, the Neo isn't 90% fighters. You can check the master list if you need proof.