If I buy a Neo Geo CD console, should I absolutely expect to replace the laser?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
But of course, and compared to the ROM carts any amount of loading is going to put the CD at a disadvantage.

Comparing it even to PS1 loading puts the Neo CD at a disadvantage. A huge disadvantage!

I had to give up my first homecart system in 1994, and fully planned to buy a Neo CD system to replace it when they came out. I followed all the news, every update, very excited to have a Neo system again. Then it came out. I tried it multiple weekends. I just couldn't get over the loading. As much as I loved the Neo and it's games, it was just unbearable. Yeah, the CDZ was an improvement when it finally came out. But not enough of an improvement for me. Not even close.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
STK doesn't like the NGCD, but shows up in a NGCD thread anyway saying nobody else should like it since he doesn't. This is Lonesage level sadness.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
STK doesn't like the NGCD, but shows up in a NGCD thread anyway saying nobody else should like it since he doesn't. This is Lonesage level sadness.
Not as sad as stage is going to be if he sees you compared him to me. If you have any human compassion at all, you'll redact that part.

This is not a NGCD appreciation thread. This is a thread about a guy considering buying one. He deserves to hear both sides of the argument, stupid. Fucking learn to read.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Not as sad as stage is going to be if he sees you compared him to me. If you have any human compassion at all, you'll redact that part.

This is not a NGCD appreciation thread. This is a thread about a guy considering buying one. He deserves to hear both sides of the argument, stupid. Fucking learn to read.

Your side of the argument doesn't make much sense when most of the games he is interested in playing have short, infrequent load times on Neo Geo CD and are considerably cheaper than their MVS or AES counterparts.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Your side of the argument doesn't make much sense when most of the games he is interested in playing have short, infrequent load times on Neo Geo CD and are considerably cheaper than their MVS or AES counterparts.
So fucking disingenuous. Which of the shooters or puzzle games are "considerably" cheaper on CD than MVS? You're exaggerating to win an argument. Plus, he's already admitted to being open to burning an iso for a game priced out of his range, so he must also be open to a multi cart.

Stop being silly. Let him read both viewpoints and pick his own. I'm not going to stop him from buying a CDZ if that's what he decides.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
So fucking disingenuous. Which of the shooters or puzzle games are "considerably" cheaper on CD than MVS? You're exaggerating to win an argument. Plus, he's already admitted to being open to burning an iso for a game priced out of his range, so he must also be open to a multi cart.

Stop being silly. Let him read both viewpoints and pick his own. I'm not going to stop him from buying a CDZ if that's what he decides.
That and Pulstar are cheaper on NGCD than MVS for starters.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member

Cheapest Last Resort MVS on eBay: $229 shipped
Cheapest Last Resort CD on eBay: $34 shipped OBO

Cheapest Pulstar MVS on eBay: $328.79 shipped
Cheapest Pulstar CD on eBay: $123.48 shipped OBO

Cheapest Viewpoint MVS on eBay: $299.99 shipped OBO (there's one cheaper but looks like a boot)
Cheapest Viewpoint CD on eBay: $39.99 shipped OBO

Cheapest Aero Fighters 2 MVS on eBay: $87.13 shipped
Cheapest Aero Fighters 2 CD on eBay: $36.99 shipped

Cheapest Aero Fighters 3 MVS on eBay: $113.75 shipped OBO
Cheapest Aero Fighters 3 CD on eBay: $50.53 shipped

Almightyburner

Kabuki Klasher
Concerning ISOs, multicarts, etc, Is there any appreciable difference (demonstrably) in the playing of an AES/MVS cart or a 120/161-in-1? I imagine the NeoSD plays exactly as an AES/MVS...

Also, I do really appreciate seeing this back-and-forth.

Last edited:

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
If I buy a Neo Geo CD console, should I absolutely expect to replace the CD drive?

I dont own one so I may be wrong but I thought the multi carts mostly had bad and hacked rom dumps on questionable quality pcb’s?

At least with the NGCD rips you get the original game (as long as you get a good copy)

Last edited:

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
I dont own one so I may be wrong but I thought the multi carts mostly had bad and hacked rom dumps on questionable quality pcb’s?

At least with the NGCD rips you get the original game (as long as you get a good copy)

It has a lot of hacks but it has the normal un hacked version too. Gives you over 120 non hacked games, if you run it on an MVS and in MVS mode they tend to play without problems.

itsofrustratin

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Neo geo cd is great for non fighters, games like Aero Fighters 2 load for about 2 mins at the beginning and then you are good to go. Less loading than most modern games.

Its the fighters where its fucked ....and Pulstar . Handful of the earlier fighters are Ok, sam sho 2 is great on it

Neo geo cd also comes with S video and can play burnt games. So theres definite advantages

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
I dont know if i've already replied here but the cd is pointless to go for now. MVS carts are so cheap. CD prices are simply moronic. You can make the argument you can just bootleg all the games but then you could just get a flash cart instead. MVS is simply the cheapest way to go these days and a pretty good experience.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
I dont know if i've already replied here but the cd is pointless to go for now. MVS carts are so cheap. CD prices are simply moronic. You can make the argument you can just bootleg all the games but then you could just get a flash cart instead. MVS is simply the cheapest way to go these days and a pretty good experience.

Wut? :conf:

You can bootleg MVS games... get them all on one big ROMZ cart... or get a flash cart... the latter are cheaper than buying the real deal whichever way you want to cut it.

... And lots of MVS games are not cheaper than their CD counterparts, and some prime examples are stated above.

Rather than worry about whether you've already posted in a thread, I'd worry more about the drivel you are posting. :vik:

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior

If you can get MVS carts cheaper than the CD’s then you best buy them up and sell them on to me because I sure as hell cant.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Concerning ISOs, multicarts, etc, Is there any appreciable difference (demonstrably) in the playing of an AES/MVS cart or a 120/161-in-1? I imagine the NeoSD plays exactly as an AES/MVS...

Also, I do really appreciate seeing this back-and-forth.

The 161 is not that bad especially if you couple it with the New Uni-Bios. I had a 161 cart before the NeoSd cart and never noticed any issues with the games I played but yea, it's not perfect. Would still rather have a CMVS and 161 cart over a NGCD and load times.

Last edited:

adaup1

n00b
I originally wanted the AES, which seems too prohibitive concerning actual carts, then the CDZ as a medium ground....but I think I might pick up this moderately priced Time Harvest unit....(unless there is some documented hate for it) ---as the website for the Jamma X implied that it would be a couple years before new orders would be processed--- and a few MVS carts to hold me until I can afford the NeoSD.
It is my understanding that the unibios should allow me to play the carts as AES (?) which I hope is the case.

I've had a Neo-Geo CD for a long time but bit the bullet on the Time Harvest CMVS back in the spring. I honestly love it. I should mention that after a few months, I did have some voltage issues. I sent the unit to a forum user and it works great now. I had to wait about a month for him to actually build the thing but he shipped it from China to the US in something around three days.

As of now, I only have two MVS carts: Real Bout Special and the 161 in 1. Honestly, the only I time I've used the Neo Geo CD since having the CMVS is while the CMVS was getting repaired. That, and maybe a couple times to play a couple games that aren't on the 161 in 1 (i.e. Magician Lord and Windjammers). I'd say take a look at what's on that cart, and if it has almost everything you want, go the CMVS route. If not, go with a Neo Geo CD.

Also, I might've missed if you said you wanted to play fighting games, but like others have said, the load times can be a pain (especially with the KOF games where it's between every round). Everything else loads of really fast for the most part. I haven't played a fighting game on the CD since I got the CMVS.

One final note, the Time Harvest CMVS does NOT have a save battery of any sort, so if you want to play four stages of a game and play the last ones later, you need to leave the system on. Most games are so short that this doesn't bother me but if saves are a must, get a CD or a different CMVS.

edd_jedi

NEST Puppet
This has been a very interesting read. I am new here and have always been interested in the Neo Geo, but never owned one. I just bought a Neo Geo CD (top loader) and am waiting for it to arrive. I am aware of its limitations, but for well under half the price of an AES, MVS conversion, or even a CDZ, I figured it's got to be worth a try.

I completely understand that what made cartridge/arcade games great in the 80s/90s was the instant loading, but as we now live in an era where modern games consoles like the PS4 require regular 40GB software updates before you can play the games, and Zelda BOTW (which I recently just completed on the Switch) loads for 30+ seconds between each scene, I don't think I'll find it that much of a pain for the majority of games.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I completely understand that what made cartridge/arcade games great in the 80s/90s was the instant loading, but as we now live in an era where modern games consoles like the PS4 require regular 40GB software updates before you can play the games, and Zelda BOTW (which I recently just completed on the Switch) loads for 30+ seconds between each scene, I don't think I'll find it that much of a pain for the majority of games.

That's fine and true but you're comparing a pretty big open world action rpg to fighting, puzzle, and shtmup games. Which Fighting, Shtmup, or Puzzle game on the Switch, Ps4, Xb1 has ridiculous load times?