If I buy a Neo Geo CD console, should I absolutely expect to replace the laser?

Almightyburner

Kabuki Klasher
And, if this is the case, can I still easily and cheaply have this done? (I am not very tech-innards-savvy)

I have just read that the CDZ is not as reliable as the NGCD. If I must replace the drive (or find a system which has already had the drive replaced), would the CDZ be deemed "as reliable" as the NGCD?

Thanks for any info!

Last edited:

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I picked up a replacement laser for mine on ebay just in case.

They are still available and pretty cheap so I figured I would get one now incase I cant in the future!!

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
If you buy a Neo Geo CD console, you should expect to replace the battery in your car and all four tires twice over the years you wait for the first match of Last Blade to load.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
If you buy a Neo Geo CD console, you should expect to replace the battery in your car and all four tires twice over the years you wait for the first match of Last Blade to load.

:lol:

For Real.

Do yourself a favor and don't buy a Neo Geo Cd.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
:lol:

For Real.

Do yourself a favor and don't buy a Neo Geo Cd.

Lies! The Neo CD is great!

You should probably expect to have to replace the laser in any cd system at some point, but the Neo CD is pretty reliable, you don't really hear of them dying too much. The CDZ's reliability issue is mostly due to heat, it helps to remove the bottom RF shield from the system.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
You probably won't have to replace the CD drive. The top loader NGCD is probably the most reliable, closely followed by the CDZ.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Neo CD is a great system for all the non-fighting games. The fighters generally have absurd load times but shooters, sports games, puzzles games, etc usually only load once. Most games are way cheaper than their MVS counterparts. Sometimes it's cheaper to buy a Neo CD and the game than to just buy the same game on MVS.

My laser is still going on my toploader but I have an extra one just in case.

What I would recommend is replacing the save battery and installing a Unibios. A member here did that for me and I couldn't be happier with it.

If you want to have legit games, the most cost effective solution is to get both a CMVS and a CD in the long run.

Or be smart and just get an AES with a NeoSD and call it a day. Just avoid the AES if you want to build a physical collection.

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Lies! The Neo CD is great!

You should probably expect to have to replace the laser in any cd system at some point, but the Neo CD is pretty reliable, you don't really hear of them dying too much. The CDZ's reliability issue is mostly due to heat, it helps to remove the bottom RF shield from the system.

This 100%. I replaced the laser, removed the metal RF shield, and have the system raised up on 4 small plastic feet (probably unnecessary, but I figured the additional air flow space wouldn't hurt). I've never had a problem with any of the cd systems and the cdz gets most of the playtime due to the faster loading. As others have already said, the cd systems are fine if you stick to the older titles. Even some fighting games like Breakers are surprisingly fast to load.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
eventually is the right answer. I'm still on my original, but i am also the original owner.

Almightyburner

Kabuki Klasher
Hey, thanks for the info!
I was obsessed with the MVS as a lad, and then focused my energy and money on music/equipment for many years before I had the opportunity to buy anything SNK....years later, I get excited by news of the Neo Geo Mini and got a pre-order, just to get my hopes dashed by reviews. In my irritation I bought the NGX controller to play with emulators, and it's just given me a thirst for legit hardware, but obviously cost is outrageous in a lot of instances.
I play alone, and mostly puzzles and shooters and the first 2 Samurai Spirits are my favorite fighting games, so I am thinking that a CD console would actually meet my needs.
The idea of burning an ISO for a game that might otherwise cost $500+ is also a plus, though I think most of the games I want are actually affordable.

I am leaning towards the CDZ, methinks.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
CDZ > AES.

I've had zero problems with my CDZ, it sits on my hardwood floor and has never gotten anywhere near what I'd call overly warm.

Almightyburner

Kabuki Klasher
Thank you madman, I really wanted some encouragement for irresponsible financial decisions, and you delivered.

kitkit.com

Ace Ghost Pilot
15 Year Member
My toploader and CDZ are still on going strong. Even though I still love my NGCD systems, I strongly recommend you to pay extra money and get a CMVS + NeoSD.

Hey, thanks for the info!
I was obsessed with the MVS as a lad, and then focused my energy and money on music/equipment for many years before I had the opportunity to buy anything SNK....years later, I get excited by news of the Neo Geo Mini and got a pre-order, just to get my hopes dashed by reviews. In my irritation I bought the NGX controller to play with emulators, and it's just given me a thirst for legit hardware, but obviously cost is outrageous in a lot of instances.
I play alone, and mostly puzzles and shooters and the first 2 Samurai Spirits are my favorite fighting games, so I am thinking that a CD console would actually meet my needs.

The idea of burning an ISO for a game that might otherwise cost $500+ is also a plus, though I think most of the games I want are actually affordable.

I am leaning towards the CDZ, methinks.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Can you suggest a couple models of CMVS, or link a current online distributer?

The two top ones are from members here. One is the Omega from Arcade Works, one is the Jamma Nation X from Xian Xi. Can't go wrong.

I have the Omega myself.

madman

Thank you madman, I really wanted some encouragement for irresponsible financial decisions, and you delivered.

Well if you play puzzle games, puzzle bobble and MD2 are pretty much the only good ones for the CD. You'd be missing out on most of the others. If you want to collect legit games, a CD + CMVS is the way to go. With a CMVS + NeoSD you'd be able to get the more expensive games (like Money Puzzle Exchanger) for nothing and also play Ghostlop without having to pay $80 for a homemade cart of it. It really depends on what you want to do. Over just the last few years even CD prices have gone up quite a bit, gone are the days of games being $10-20. The choice is yawwwss.

Almightyburner

Kabuki Klasher
Yeah....
So, I wanted that 90s home retail experience, but those days are gone. It really seems like the only real choice to have a practical, and accurate NG experience looks like the CMVS. Not what I was expecting, but it looks like that's where we are.
Thanks for talkin' some sense into me, y'all.

madman

Yeah....
So, I wanted that 90s home retail experience, but those days are gone. It really seems like the only real choice to have a practical, and accurate NG experience looks like the CMVS. Not what I was expecting, but it looks like that's where we are.

If you come across a nice deal on a CD, it might be worth it. At this point with these prices, it really is hard to recommend anything other than a NeoSD. Five years ago would be another story. I like my CDZ, the "lulz go out to dinner while a game loads" thing is exaggerated, but then again I didn't pay 2018 prices.

I think the NGCD front loader is the worst console i’ve ever personally owned.
Nobody gives a shit.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Yeah....

If you're going to go with a NeoSD anyway, you might as well just get the AES. Cheaper than a consolized MVS.

For legit games:
MVS > CD > AES

But there's no drawbacks to the AES as long as you aren't trying to buy physical games.

Almightyburner

Kabuki Klasher
I originally wanted the AES, which seems too prohibitive concerning actual carts, then the CDZ as a medium ground....but I think I might pick up this moderately priced Time Harvest unit....(unless there is some documented hate for it) ---as the website for the Jamma X implied that it would be a couple years before new orders would be processed--- and a few MVS carts to hold me until I can afford the NeoSD.
It is my understanding that the unibios should allow me to play the carts as AES (?) which I hope is the case.

Famicommander, I see that you are in Denver, which I have lived in for 12 years---have you seen any SNK product in any stores in the area?

Last edited:

famicommander

15 Year Member
I originally wanted the AES, which seems too prohibitive concerning actual carts, then the CDZ as a medium ground....but I think I might pick up this moderately priced Time Harvest unit....(unless there is some documented hate for it) and a few MVS carts to hold me until I can afford the NeoSD.
It is my understanding that the unibios should allow me to play the carts as AES (?) which I hope is the case.

Famicommander, I see that you are in Denver, which I have lived in for 12 years---have you seen any SNK product in any stores in the area?

You'll see some stuff at Doc's but everything in those stores is absurdly overpriced. I've seen some NGPC stuff at Level 7 Games.

Almightyburner

Kabuki Klasher
Damn, I used to live just a minute from the Doc's on Alameda/Sheridan, but before it opened. I liked Level 7 (only been to the one on Alameda) but never saw any SNK stuff. I did buy a NGPC from a place near Wads/44th called Buy Back Games, but that is all I have ever seen.

famicommander

15 Year Member
Damn, I used to live just a minute from the Doc's on Alameda/Sheridan, but before it opened. I liked Level 7 (only been to the one on Alameda) but never saw any SNK stuff. I did buy a NGPC from a place near Wads/44th called Buy Back Games, but that is all I have ever seen.

Buy Back Games has been around forever, just recently closed the location nearest me. Game Force is also a fixture in Colorado.

Level 7 is the only local store I even bother with. Otherwise it's just online.