If I buy a Neo Geo CD console, should I absolutely expect to replace the laser?

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Neo CD is a great system for all the non-fighting games.
So basically not great for 90% of the reason to own a Neo in the first place. Like going to a great steak restaurant but you can't order any meat. Even if you love the deserts they offer, it seems more frustrating than enjoyable.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I have mine (standard top loader) since release and did no have to replace the laser/lense/sled yet, and I'm using it a lot.

Oh, and some of you got that wrong: The NGCD is a great console, period. :)

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
So basically not great for 90% of the reason to own a Neo in the first place. Like going to a great steak restaurant but you can't order any meat. Even if you love the deserts they offer, it seems more frustrating than enjoyable.

False.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
That must be why when SNK makes a 40 game compilation to commemorate the entire history of Neo Geo, 23 of those games are from one genre. And 12 of the 17 games left are ones you will play once, then never again, like Cyber Lip. And then you'll just go back to playing the fighting games. I don't see a lot of Mutation Nation threads here.

When people remember Neo Geo, they think of KOF and Samurai Shodown. Then maybe Metal Slug. And that's it. People don't remember Twinkle Star Golf or whatever.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
That must be why when SNK makes a 40 game compilation to commemorate the entire history of Neo Geo, 23 of those games are from one genre. And 12 of the 17 games left are ones you will play once, then never again, like Cyber Lip. And then you'll just go back to playing the fighting games. I don't see a lot of Mutation Nation threads here.

When people remember Neo Geo, they think of KOF and Samurai Shodown. Then maybe Metal Slug. And that's it. People don't remember Twinkle Star Golf or whatever.

First games I think are Metal Slug, Pulstar and Puzz Bobb.

SNK are known for fighters but there was so much more!

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Fuck it, buy an AES and a neosd, plus get a couple of AES original carts for cheaper end games and get a feel for what being rich in the 90s felt like.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I know it's hard guys but the only fucking games anyone remembers are the Metal Slug games and Neo Geo? wtf is that?

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
First games I think are Metal Slug, Pulstar and Puzz Bobb.

SNK are known for fighters but there was so much more!

You are in the Minority. The Neo has quality for almost every genre but the Fighting games are a very huge part why the Neo-Geo was successful.

As far as the NeoCd go's, fuck that shit. It's either Aes/Mvs or nothing. Why would anyone want one anyways? Unless it's for the arranged audio and load times.

Wasn't the whole point of the Neo Aes to bring the Arcade experience home. The exact same game you play at the arcades, you could play home with zero load times.

The NeoCd was just a cheaper alternative.

With the NeoSd around now, what's the point of even owning one of these?

Even the NGDevTeam much rather deal with the Dreamcast over the NeoCd.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,

I own zero fighting games in my Neo collection. And I don't care what other people remember.

Games worth owning on the NGCD that aren't fighters: Baseball Stars 2, Dunk Dream, Windjammers, League Bowling, MD2, Mag Lord, Metal Slug 1/2, Nam, Pulstar, Puzzle Bobble, Blue's Journey, Top Hunter, Rally Chase, Sonic Wings 2/3, Super Baseball 2020, TSS, Viewpoint and Zintrick. Also Brikinger, NTM, Drift Out and Over Top if you can find them for less than tard pricing.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
You are in the Minority. The Neo has quality for almost every genre but the Fighting games are a very huge part why the Neo-Geo was successful.

As far as the NeoCd go's, fuck that shit. It's either Aes/Mvs or nothing. Why would anyone want one anyways? Unless it's for the arranged audio and load times.

Wasn't the whole point of the Neo Aes to bring the Arcade experience home. The exact same game you play at the arcades, you could play home with zero load times.

The NeoCd was just a cheaper alternative.

With the NeoSd around now, what's the point of even owning one of these?

Even the NGDevTeam much rather deal with the Dreamcast over the NeoCd.

Because the NGCD was (and to some extent still is) the cheaper alternative.

I have 2 MVS games but around 30 NGCD games.

I plan on buying a NeoSD but dont have one yet. I am fortunate to be in a position to be able to buy one but If I was not I could get a CD and several games for the price of the SD.

Or I could just burn them for free obviously....

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Because the NGCD was (and to some extent still is) the cheaper alternative.

I have 2 MVS games but around 30 NGCD games.

I plan on buying a NeoSD but dont have one yet. I am fortunate to be in a position to be able to buy one but If I was not I could get a CD and several games for the price of the SD.

Or I could just burn them for free obviously....

Hey man, what ever works for you. If you're going for the cheaper alternative, that's fine, not going to knock you for that but no way would I ever put the NGCD over the Aes or MVS, Never.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Hey man, what ever works for you. If you're going for the cheaper alternative, that's fine, not going to knock you for that but no way would I ever put the NGCD over the Aes or MVS, Never.

Well I never said it was better than the MVS or AES.

Hell if I had the mullah I would have a big red and a ton of games to go in it.
But I dont so the NGCD is where its at for me.

It plays good, the controllers are awesome and I love it.
Plus its much smaller and cheaper than abig red!!

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
The Neo CD is a great console, I've always been a big fan :)

There are also a fair few fighting games where the load times are neither horrendous, nor affect the gameplay - Breakers, Kabuki Klash, the Samurai Spirits series, all the Fatal Fury games, including the Real Bouts, King of the Monsters 2, Art of Fighting 1 & 2, Voltage Fighter Gowcaizer, Double Dragon...

The World Heroes games may be worth mentioning... I can't stand them, irrespective of format, but they have their fans.

Ninja Masters isn't bad for loading, but it's not great either.

Last Blade 1 & 2 and King of Fighters '95 - '98 are all playable, but they're kinda ruined by loading times. You really need to look elsewhere to enjoy these.
KoF '99 is practially crippled by the system imo.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Neo CD games I have:
Andro Dunos and Bang Bang Busters NCI releases
Alpha Mission II
Last Resort
Viewpoint
Aero Fighters 2
Aero Fighters 3
Pulstar
Windjammers
Nam-1975
Magician Lord
Baseball Stars 2
Super Baseball 2020
Football Frenzy
King of the Monsters 2
Karnov's Revenge
Rally Chase
Puzzle Bobble
Ninja Combat
Ghost Pilots
League Bowling
Mutation Nation

Besides Pulstar, not one has bad load times and not one is any worse than the MVS version. And every single one was cheaper than what the MVS version would have cost me, otherwise I would have just gotten them on MVS.

And I will put up with Pulstar's load times because, as I said before, it cost less to buy a toploader and a copy of Pulstar than an MVS cart of Pulstar.

Neo Geo CD is a fantastic supplement to an MVS. If you're looking to play legit games it's a lot cheaper in the long run to use both.

Or, as said many times, just get a NeoSD and screw the rest.

Almightyburner

Kabuki Klasher
I have far less variety on my list of must-haves

Viewpoint
Blazing Star (I've only played Pulstar once or twice, but I'm sure I want that, too)
Metal Slug(s)
Samurai Shodown 1+2
Neo Turf Masters
Bust-A-Move
Windjammers
NAM75
AOF 1+2
Baseball Stars 2
Super Sidekicks 2
Magical Drop

I've played Last Blade/2 only recently and very little, not enough to get a real feel for it, but it was pretty awesome, imo. I always liked FF, but usually opted to play SF2 in the arcade. Shodown 2 was always probably my favorite of the genre. I loved Marvel VS SNK (the original, I suppose), but only got to play it precious few times at an arcade a few cities over. Damn, I need to find a good port of that game.

Anyhoo, I don't think my desires would tax the NGCD very much...

Last edited:

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I own zero fighting games in my Neo collection.
Why the fuck would you brag about this?

The thing that's different about Neo fighters than most of the games on your list is that many Neo fighters remain to this day top examples of their genre. You can't say that about Neo sports games or driving games or whatever.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Just wanted to mention..I always mention when topics like these come up....BASEBALL STARS 2 is the better accurate version of the game...You can actually hit a legitimate double! I may actually pick one up for sh8ts and giggles in the future just for the Baseball Stars 2 and several others like Pulstar,Agressors of Dark Kombat,Fatal Fury Special...
It's a nice system to own for the casual gamer..I was really impressed with the load times for RB2 when I owned several units once upon a time ago. I'm a fan of the Front loader's build...
BB

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
From the entire "official" SNK Neo-Geo library, 96 individual titles were published on the NGCD between '94 and '99.

(94 games if you don't include ADK World and Neo-Geo Special CD, which were basically demo discs.)

Of these, only 10 games are really compromised by the system's limitations, the rest are fine and / or have more than tolerable loading times when using the CDZ; and even when using the standard CD are acceptable.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Of these, only 10 games are really compromised by the system's limitations, the rest are fine and / or have more than tolerable loading times when using the CDZ; and even when using the standard CD are acceptable.
Tolerable is subjective. Anything from 1993 or before might be tolerable. From 1994 on, much less so.

Tarma

Old Man
20 Year Member
Tolerable is subjective.

But of course, and compared to the ROM carts any amount of loading is going to put the CD at a disadvantage.

I do think there is a large amount of exaggeration of the machine's limitations, most likely born out of the fact that the KoF series is nigh on unplayable on the system... and in the '90s that was SNK's flagship series, and one of the reasons many came to the Neo-Geo... certainly before Metal Slug became as popular, and well known, as it is today.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I have far less variety on my list of must-haves

Viewpoint
Blazing Star (I've only played Pulstar once or twice, but I'm sure I want that, too)
Metal Slug(s)
Samurai Shodown 1+2
Neo Turf Masters
Bust-A-Move
Windjammers
NAM75
AOF 1+2
Baseball Stars 2
Super Sidekicks 2
Magical Drop

I've played Last Blade/2 only recently and very little, not enough to get a real feel for it, but it was pretty awesome, imo. I always liked FF, but usually opted to play SF2 in the arcade. Shodown 2 was always probably my favorite of the genre. I loved Marvel VS SNK (the original, I suppose), but only got to play it precious few times at an arcade a few cities over. Damn, I need to find a good port of that game.

Anyhoo, I don't think my desires would tax the NGCD very much...
All of those would be fine on Neo Geo CD except Blazing Star, which never came out on the format. Also, only Slug 1 and 2 made it to CD.

Turf Masters is ridiculously expensive on the system because it has an extra course that isn't in the cart versions.