Question about using AES cartridge in a CMVS

CMVSretro

n00b
Hi there - sorry in advance if posted in the wrong place. I did a search and didn’t find a post on this.
So I’ve got an OMEGA CMVS recently (LOVE IT!)
And I’m wondering if magician lord AES cart would work in it. I’m guessing no. But then again, worth a quick ask. Really want to get this game but there is nothing MVS (never released in arcades? Which I found hard to believe. But I can’t find anything on it.)

And while I’m here - anyone have a good site to pick up replacement parts for the CD controller? The stick broke on mine and I’m looking to fix it.
Although it was a good excuse to pick up a HORI II stick. Thing is awesome!

Thanks guys!

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
An AES cart will not work on an MVS. There are plenty of magician Lord carts for mvs out there, but they're expensive.

basic

back to basics
15 Year Member
Why wouldn't an AES cart work on an MVS? Something doesn't seem to add up.

Shawn needs to update the master list...he has an error for Magician Lord. Also, mvs-scans needs to remove their fake scans of Magician Lord.
http://www.mvs-scans.com/index.php/Magician_Lord

Last edited:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
And get a proper controller.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
SNK intentionally designed the graphics pipelines of the AES and MVS differently so that the two formats couldn't be easily interchanged with a passive adapter like Famicom/NES. It only works in the MVS to AES direction because the converter contains a graphics chip that is present in all AES cartridges but missing on MVS. This chip is present on all MVS motherboards so building an AES to MVS adapter would result in two instances of said graphics chip making the pipeline fall apart.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
SNK intentionally designed the graphics pipelines of the AES and MVS differently so that the two formats couldn't be easily interchanged with a passive adapter like Famicom/NES. It only works in the MVS to AES direction because the converter contains a graphics chip that is present in all AES cartridges but missing on MVS. This chip is present on all MVS motherboards so building an AES to MVS adapter would result in two instances of said graphics chip making the pipeline fall apart.

Apocalypse actually got it working from AES to MVS, not easy though.

Kujako

Quiz Detective
Ah Magician Lord... am after one of those myself. But as others have answered, it could be done, but would cost too much to be worth the effort.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
Hi there - sorry in advance if posted in the wrong place. I did a search and didn’t find a post on this.
So I’ve got an OMEGA CMVS recently (LOVE IT!)
And I’m wondering if magician lord AES cart would work in it. I’m guessing no. But then again, worth a quick ask. Really want to get this game but there is nothing MVS (never released in arcades? Which I found hard to believe. But I can’t find anything on it.)

And while I’m here - anyone have a good site to pick up replacement parts for the CD controller? The stick broke on mine and I’m looking to fix it.
Although it was a good excuse to pick up a HORI II stick. Thing is awesome!

Thanks guys!

I wonder if knowledge like this was available already somewhere. There must be a way to not waste other people's time by asking questions that could be easily looked up. I wonder when newbs will learn that they are not entitled to other people's time because they are too lazy to do something for themselves. Welcome to neo-geo.com. You'll wish you never even found this website.

CMVSretro

n00b
And yet you wasted your precious time to respond. After it was very clear what the answer was.
So. My friend. What exactly does that say about you?
And thanks for welcoming me to the forum. Happy to be here.
Look forward to more oh so witty responses from you.