Help with lcd marquee project

BulletMag

n00b
I’m currently in the process of building a neo bartop with an original board (with as original look as possible)
I have the credit display working for the control panel but want a marquee that reflects the current game playing.....
I’m using the latest v4.0 uni bios and a banana cart.
What I would like to do is have a raspberry pi with a 4” lcd attached display the marquee for the current game, this obviously would change when the game does, and small effects would be added to prevent burn in.
All I needed to do was find a way to send what game is currently playing to the pi...
As the neo-f0 handles most of the io I looked at the SLOT pins ... sadly this was a bust as they don’t seem to change at all regardless of what game is selected.

Here now is where I need help, the 68000 at memory location 0xFFFE0 holds the game number sadly I don’t know enough to pull that sigle address to the pi.

Can anyone help at all?

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
0xFFFE0 does not hold the game number, 0x2FFFE0 is the port the game number is written on the multicarts and it is write only.

BulletMag

n00b
Ok sorry for the typo :(
Well if 0x2FFFE0 is indeed write only where is it written from and could it be tapped from the origin as we can read the value for this address in the "memory viewer" of the uni bios?

Or could the credit pins be re-purposed to output the binary number of the current game instead?

Last edited:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
It is not a RAM address and cannot be read be the 68k once written (it is not held in RAM. Technically one can use ohter outputs on the NeoGeo to transfer the number but it's not something I will add into the unibios. Your best bet would be to open up a banana cart and see if you can wire up from something in there.

BulletMag

n00b
Thanks for the pointers guys,
I have made headway with the project and hope to show a proof of concept soon

ledfrog

n00b
This is so cool! Now I'm imagining being able to apply this to a full size MVS with multiple marquees. To show the effect of a selected game versus the non-selected games, each marquee would have two versions. The original image and a second one with a darker layer applied to it. Then this little device would simply choose the regular version of the marquee when the game is selected and switch back to the darker version when the selection is changed. I'm sure this would add several layers of complexity though!!

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
congrats on getting it working. Looks really cool.

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Nice one, glad you got it working. Is there anything that can be done about the delay or is that related to blue tooth?

BulletMag

n00b
This is so cool! Now I'm imagining being able to apply this to a full size MVS with multiple marquees. To show the effect of a selected game versus the non-selected games, each marquee would have two versions. The original image and a second one with a darker layer applied to it. Then this little device would simply choose the regular version of the marquee when the game is selected and switch back to the darker version when the selection is changed. I'm sure this would add several layers of complexity though!!

I did consider three displays initially with a filter applied to two (these would be the one before and after the current game in the pick n mix list)
Unfortunately when the random demo kicks in it makes it difficult to display the next game accurately so as I was only using it on a one slot I concentrated my efforts on a single display only.

Nice one, glad you got it working. Is there anything that can be done about the delay or is that related to blue tooth?

Yeah it was much worse in the beginning but I was just happy I got it working over Bluetooth tbh
I think I can speed it up a little more as there are delays in the code to try and prevent crashing, I’ll tweek them over the next few days, when the cart is hardwired the change is instant so I know it can be optimised a little more.

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
cool beans, thanks for sharing, please keep up the good work!