New Analogue console: Mega SG

MrRobotFactory

Kuroko's Training Dummy
I love my Super Nt. Fantastic product. Great work by Kevtris. Definitely getting the Mega SG.

Last edited:

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
Thats the most important thing, it makes everything so fucking easy and you get an amazing result. For $189. Defend your old, broken, problem riddled, frustrating and pricey system of rgb (and crt) all you want. But these fpga systems are the future and for good reason, if you cant accept that and see the advantages here then I feel sorry for you and Im not going to waste anymore time trying to spell it out for you.

That's a bit overboard. An OSSC is a one-time purchase and works with basically any video signal. If you're using a lot of different consoles, it's almost certainly a better value than having HDMI-enabled clones for each one.

A lot of these designs are solutions in search of a problem. If they could use a real cheap FPGA and get the cost of the system way down, it would be cool. As a "premium" item, though, it's just kinda pointless.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
That's a bit overboard. An OSSC is a one-time purchase and works with basically any video signal. If you're using a lot of different consoles, it's almost certainly a better value than having HDMI-enabled clones for each one.

A lot of these designs are solutions in search of a problem. If they could use a real cheap FPGA and get the cost of the system way down, it would be cool. As a "premium" item, though, it's just kinda pointless.

I've used so many different clones in the past that did a shitty job. I agree with VBA, the Super Nt shits on anything out there. I don't even like to call it a clone because that word just doesn't do it justice. They should have just called it a Super Nintendo 2.

Me Personally, I rather have a FPGA HD console for every platform then deal with a Upscaler and fiddle with settings, been there done that. Also, the Picture is Stable and looks amazing compared to any upscaler I have ever used. Alot of those Upscalers don't fix problems like weird refresh rates in games that cause some TV's to freeze or go black. You don't suffer from any of those problems with the Super NT. $189 to play all my Snes/SFC games in Proper HD with no lag is nothing. Some people could easily spend that money buying 4 or 5 original Snes carts.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Me Personally, I rather have a FPGA HD console for every platform then deal with a Upscaler and fiddle with settings, been there done that.

This is a very reasonable point. For me personally, though, those mimic consoles will start to become interesting with disc based systems, like the Saturn, eliminating loading times and hard-to-get replacement laser units.

The best thing would be a mimic, that actually manages to enhance flaws, like boosting the frame rate to clean and lag-free 60fps or enabling a 'progressive mode' for interlaced games, that plague 90% of all the PS2 library.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member

Eh, I have an OSSC, and I also have a Retro AVS, a FPGA based NES/Famicom. I'd much rather use the Retro AVS than my RGB modded famicom connected to the OSSC, it's a better experience. It's more expensive but I'd rather have good FPGA clones than use upscalers with new TVs.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Eh, I have an OSSC, and I also have a Retro AVS, a FPGA based NES/Famicom. I'd much rather use the Retro AVS than my RGB modded famicom connected to the OSSC, it's a better experience. It's more expensive but I'd rather have good FPGA clones than use upscalers with new TVs.

Bingo. My RGB Famicom is still hooked up to my CRT but I also have the Retro AVS and that’s become my go to NES

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
Well here's hoping some genius comes up with a hybrid CRT monitor with many of today's gains but the raw beauty of yesteryear

ShootTheCore

Bead Banger
Troll Post: All of this Analog and MISTer FPGA console stuff is garbage compared to Polymega and it's modular expansion! CD games damn it! :keke:

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Troll Post: All of this Analog and MISTer FPGA console stuff is garbage compared to Polymega and it's modular expansion! CD games damn it! :keke:

I was not necessary to state this was a troll post... ;)

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Speaking of FPGA consoles, I have recently uploaded a couple videos detailing some work in progress cores for the MiSTer FPGA platform.

https://github.com/MiSTer-devel/Main_MiSTer/wiki

See, the fuzzy and non-aliased and non-scanline'd look of SoR2 and GnG here is right what I'm getting at.

Tube TV or monitor, RGB or not, that's what these games were made for. Some developers of micro computer games even used the colour bleeding effect of antenna connections to their advantage by dithering the colours and so creating new ones, the games looked like they had more than the usual 8 or 16 colours. Try playing games like that on a LCD screen...

Sure, you can put a saddle in a car and pretend to be riding on horseback while driving around but it won't make your car a horse.

(That last line was brought to you by Silly Analogies, Ltd., a subsidiary of Tak Heavy Industries™®℠)

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
The MiSTer with added IO board has a VGA output as well. And depending on the core, many support both 31 and 15khz. So a simple vga to scart cable and you can plug this into your old Scart crt or interface with a Sony PVM.

It’s not just hdmi.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
The MiSTer with added IO board has a VGA output as well. And depending on the core, many support both 31 and 15khz. So a simple vga to scart cable and you can plug this into your old Scart crt or interface with a Sony PVM.

It’s not just hdmi.

Okay, that's really nice, going to look into it.

Neo Alec

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
The Game Gear support is the most interesting.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
Well, that's unfortunate: 49.99 USD to ship with the only option being DHL, so I'll have to pass on principle alone; half that is the going rate for a package of that size through USPS, but their support said DHL is their only distribution option. It's a shame when a great product is held back by poor distribution practices.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Well, that's unfortunate: 49.99 USD to ship with the only option being DHL, so I'll have to pass on principle alone; half that is the going rate for a package of that size through USPS, but their support said DHL is their only distribution option. It's a shame when a great product is held back by poor distribution practices.

Your comparison is flawed. Most businesses are not going to use uninsurable USPS First Class International and hope for the best.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Your comparison is flawed. Most businesses are not going to use uninsurable USPS First Class International and hope for the best.

Gotta agree w/wyo here. Shipping is what it is when it comes to businesses. DHL can be pricey, but it's super fast and I've had zero problems w/it. A business isn't going to risk lost/uninsured packages just to save the buyer $10.

Last edited:

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member

USPS International is insured, so my comparison is fine.

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
USPS International is insured, so my comparison is fine.

Priority is insurable, First Class is not.

You cannot even ship an insured envelope to Canada for $25. It would be close to $50 to ship a console. Feel free to check this on usps.com.