MVS four slot video noise.

Kujako

Quiz Detective
So I have a four slot board I've been restoring, new battery etc. Everything is working perfectly, but I'm noticing some noise on the RGBS signal when I compare it to a single slot board. Any idea what the cause could be? Same supergun, same power supply, same cart, same display. Noise on the four slot, not on the one slot. Thinking it MAY be a grounding issue... there was a green grounding wire on the frame, which I removed since it's not going into a cab.

Any ideas would be appreciated. It's not a very noticeable thing, but it makes my brain itch.

RyuX

Crossed Swords Squire
So I have a four slot board I've been restoring, new battery etc. Everything is working perfectly, but I'm noticing some noise on the RGBS signal when I compare it to a single slot board. Any idea what the cause could be? Same supergun, same power supply, same cart, same display. Noise on the four slot, not on the one slot. Thinking it MAY be a grounding issue... there was a green grounding wire on the frame, which I removed since it's not going into a cab.

Any ideas would be appreciated. It's not a very noticeable thing, but it makes my brain itch.

Mind sharing pictures or a video?

Kujako

Quiz Detective
So an update... the issue goes away, if I use the YCbCr outputs from the supergun. So it is possible, that the supergun is the issue. It's just weird that it works with the RGBS outputs for the 1FZ board, but not the 4F.

RyuX

Crossed Swords Squire
So an update... the issue goes away, if I use the YCbCr outputs from the supergun. So it is possible, that the supergun is the issue. It's just weird that it works with the RGBS outputs for the 1FZ board, but not the 4F.

Might be the supergun.. judging from the picture it looks fine to me so it's really hard to say. Do you have any caps on the RGB Lines and do you have a Composite Sync Stabilization Resistor connected to ground ?
I usually run a 680 Ohm Resistor from Composite sync to ground to stabilize the C-Sync and most RGB Cables use 220uF Caps on the RGB Lines as well.

Kujako

Quiz Detective
Might be the supergun.. judging from the picture it looks fine to me so it's really hard to say. Do you have any caps on the RGB Lines and do you have a Composite Sync Stabilization Resistor connected to ground ?
I usually run a 680 Ohm Resistor from Composite sync to ground to stabilize the C-Sync and most RGB Cables use 220uF Caps on the RGB Lines as well.

As I said, the issue really doesn't show in a picture, it's subtle. I was trying to wire it up to a video recorder, but that's when I saw that the YCbCr signal didn't have the problem.

I honestly don't know how the supergun is wired, it's an aliexpress special. Thinking I'll splice into a JAMMA extension cable I have to pull the RGBS signal out before the supergun and see what I get. Again, it's weird that it's perfect on the 1FZ but I get noise on the 4F. Could also be the RGB upscaler not liking the signal... can try a GBS-8200 I have sitting around instead of the Extron.

Edit: Not seeing the effect on the GBS-8200... so may be something in the signal that the scaler doesn't like. Unfortunately the GBS is kinda useless, as I can't get it to be consistently full screen.

Last edited: