Arcade Stick Overlay Options (Respond)

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
I've searched this site for answers and nothing of relevance appeared. If someone has experience with this, I would appreciate your input.

I have two arcade sticks that I wish to customize with overlays. The surface texture is a little coarse (somewhat similar to the X-Arcade but a smoother, finer grain). I have made my design in Photoshop to the dimensions I require. Now all I need is a reputable place to print the adhesive vinyl and laminate it.

The units are good quality with Sanwa innards. The buttons are the push-in type, not the screw-in, so clearance might be an issue if the graphic is too thick. Any help is appreciated. If you know a great place to try, please drop a link. Thanks all.

Arcade Stick.jpg

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
As far as where to print them, I'd have to do some research. Like you my worry would be the texture of the surface fucking with the adhesive part of the overlay or causing odd bumps in the finish. Sorry I'm not of more help.

gusmoney

Unsure if You Asked, For a custom Rank, But Hell,
10 Year Member
Are the sticks unique? Focus Attack does a good job of printing and cutting artwork for sticks at a very reasonable charge.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
I like the uhh... Duct tape dust washer you got going on in that pic.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
Are the sticks unique? Focus Attack does a good job of printing and cutting artwork for sticks at a very reasonable charge.

Yeah, I contacted them but no go.

I like the uhh... Duct tape dust washer you got going on in that pic.

Not duct tape. It's a thin white foam. What you see is the brightness and levels adjusted in Photoshop giving the appearance of said duct tape. Nice try tho.
:keke:

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
OK champ, nice thin white foam... Should have gone seimitsu.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
I mean.. Step one is gonna be removal of the rough top laminate. Ain't nothing going to adhere to that and look good.

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
I mean.. Step one is gonna be removal of the rough top laminate. Ain't nothing going to adhere to that and look good.

Is there another alternative to vinyl then? Ideally, I'd like to have my design printed/painted right on the surface but I don't know who can do that.
:scratch:

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
I've tried to come up with different ideas, but maybe just leave them as they are and get a few new sticks as well?
The closest thing to this sort of design I have ever owned would be the old MAS systems supergun sticks that many years ago were so common place. They weren't rough textured, but they were large wooden box arcade sticks. Thinking about them, I can't really conjure up a great way to decorate them (and also I've never seen one done differently than the standard print they shipped with from the builder.)

I mean, if you like the sticks, then just use them. At most, swap out buttons and ball top for cool color schemes. Maybe instead of pimping them out, commission a single new stick with awesome art and make it your favorite.
Populate it with seimitsu parts and a plastic dust washer even ;)

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
I've tried to come up with different ideas, but maybe just leave them as they are and get a few new sticks as well?
The closest thing to this sort of design I have ever owned would be the old MAS systems supergun sticks that many years ago were so common place. They weren't rough textured, but they were large wooden box arcade sticks. Thinking about them, I can't really conjure up a great way to decorate them (and also I've never seen one done differently than the standard print they shipped with from the builder.)

I mean, if you like the sticks, then just use them. At most, swap out buttons and ball top for cool color schemes. Maybe instead of pimping them out, commission a single new stick with awesome art and make it your favorite.
Populate it with seimitsu parts and a plastic dust washer even ;)

It's the challenge that excites me. But you're right. In the end I will have spent time and money and probably end up with sub par results. BTW, the Sanwas stay. Also the pic was taken when I first removed it from the box. The dust cover can be seen under the ball just slightly.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Ever tried seimitsu? Honestly most people don't get the chance to. They were the standard in the very early 90s but fell to the wayside since then.
I also don't hate sanwa... I just retrofit them with a 1.5X actuator and a 2 lb. Spring so they play like an off brand seimitsu :D

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
OK so as an idea. Probably a terrible one. Machine shop a blank piece of metal to mount atop the wood? Then you can apply whatever you'd like to the sticks? It would change the stick depth, but since they are sanwa, and therefore stand taller than seimitsu it *I assume* would still be just fine.

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
Ever tried seimitsu? Honestly most people don't get the chance to. They were the standard in the very early 90s but fell to the wayside since then.
I also don't hate sanwa... I just retrofit them with a 1.5X actuator and a 2 lb. Spring so they play like an off brand seimitsu :D

These are my first real sticks so-to-speak. They were offered with original generic parts, but I spent the extra $ for genuine Sanwa. I have nothing against Seimitsu either. After I break these in, I may do what you suggest and get the 2lb springs. The other sticks I have are 2 X-Arcade Solo sticks. I bought them new years ago and one of 'em has never come out of the box. I know of the reputation yadda yadda, but they can be enhanced with Happ parts. Those I use for PC emulation. These new ones are strictly for my AES. Hence the all black look.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
As far as happ goes, bitd we would just buy the ultimarc sticks because they were happ with a lifetime warranty

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
As far as happ goes, bitd we would just buy the ultimarc sticks because they were happ with a lifetime warranty

Are they still around? Never heard of them.

I think I'm gonna check with some local print shops and see if they have some ideas for me. I think you can screen print on laminate....

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
Yeah, they're still made. Dunno if the awesome warranty still applies, but I do see they still sell the same products.

Honestly interested in how this all turns out. Keep us up to date.

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
Yeah, they're still made. Dunno if the awesome warranty still applies, but I do see they still sell the same products.

Honestly interested in how this all turns out. Keep us up to date.

Will do. Thanks for all the input.
:buttrock: