MV2F Graphical Issue - Vertical Lines on Moving Pixels

Callisto

n00b
In another recent thread I posted here, I mentioned picking up an MVS that had been sitting for quite a while. I replaced the power supply and got it up and running but I'm having graphical issues on both slots. Video here:

Now I've been searching and reading up on some other posts here and I've seen a lot of mention of the 257 & ZMC2 chips. I notice some questionable traces coming off the ZMC2 chip:

UaBUpsd.jpg

Yes, I know the battery look like hell, and yes, I will be replacing it but would this be the cause of my vertical line issue?

Secondly, on the bottom of the board, I have this:

RQptlVJ.jpg

Is this patch removable or will it destroy whatever it was in place to repair? Is it even worth trying to remove it?

Thanks in advance!!

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
The corroded traces in the 2nd pic are likely the cause of the graphics issues.

You should really remove the battery now to avoid it causing anymore damage. Just cut it the legs with wire cutters or dykes. You can clean up the battery through holes when you are at the point of installing the replacement.

You will need to remove the foam/paper patch in order to see if there is any corrosion caused by the battery on the bottom of the board. Its there to help isolate the components powered by the battery from accidentally shorting should the bottom of the board come in contact with something conductive while being worked on.