Sterilite storage bins

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Will they turn my consoles yellow? Or, should I say, will they expedite the inevitable process?

I've been using these for a few years...I just can't tell.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I think it matters how you store them but they still turn yellow over time anyways. As long as you store them in a dark place, it will delay the yellowing process but it still will yellow over time. I have a Dreamcast that has a slight hint of yellow which I had stored and I purchased it brand new. I compared it to the Saturn I recently Retro-bighted and I could see the difference.

Last edited:

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
I store my video game consoles in a claw-foot tub.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
No, they'll turn yellow because of the fire retardant in the plastic, it's a toy after all.

On an other note: shelf-queen > sterilite-queen

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
No, they'll turn yellow because of the fire retardant in the plastic, it's a toy after all.

Yeah, pretty much. There doesn't have to be light around. I have a cabinet in my office that I keep consoles in that aren't being used and it's totally dark. I pulled out my old NES toaster after being in there for a few years and it's starting to yellow now, that sonofabitch. It's pretty much being stored in ideal conditions and it still happens.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Nobody knows 100% what environmental factors cause it, or why some systems yellow and others don't.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
UV definitely accelerates the process, but i believe it happens regardless with certain plastics.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
Would you say cardboard is safer by comparison?

Opaque is better, but it won't stop it altogether.

The main culprits are:
* Heat
* UV , CFL and sunlight
* Oxygen^

You can control heat and UV, but Oxygen will continue to feed the reaction once it has started.
This is all dependent on plastic type and additives in the plastic. It's not the same in every case.

Last edited:

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Opaque is better, but it won't stop it altogether.

The main culprits are:
* Heat
* UV , CFL and sunlight
* Oxygen^

You can control heat and UV, but Oxygen will continue to feed the reaction one it has started.
This is all dependent on plastic type and additives in the plastic. It's not the same in every case.

That damn unstable air.

SpamYouToDeath

I asked for a, Custom Rank and, Learned My Lesson.
15 Year Member
You can control heat and UV, but Oxygen will continue to feed the reaction once it has started.

You can control oxygen too, with enough effort. I haven't seen anyone storing their video games in a sealed vessel of noble gas, though.

NeoSneth

20 Year Member
You can control oxygen too, with enough effort. I haven't seen anyone storing their video games in a sealed vessel of noble gas, though.

Grade 4.5 Nitrogen or Argon. I haven't seen it used with plastic toys, but you are correct it is used in industry.
Argon is heavier, so it would be the better choice. Settles nicer, so those toys stay in pristine condition....

Atmosphere still goes through sealed plastic, so Sterilite is definitely out now...

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I use Polypropylene #5 opaque containers since most archival stuff use that. Acidity,heat, and uv is what usually causes yellowing in a lot of stuff, especially paper.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
I store my video game consoles in a claw-foot tub.

I kno rite?

Why run around town finding a piece of plastic when I have a perfectly good tub that I can use?

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Just remember, nothing lasts forever but the earth and sky.