Good games that are not like anything else out there?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I was thinking about this earlier today at work.

Some games don't really fit in a genre, or are so unique, that nothing else in the genre is like them.

What are some good, unique games, with gameplay that has not been duplicated? At least not duplicated well.

Some off the top of my head.

1. Intelligent Qube - Yeah it's a puzzle game, but there's nothing else quite like it.

2. Catherine - Same as I.Q.

FYI - These 2 probably sum up, what I would consider the 2 best puzzle games of all time. My opinion of course. More specifically, the I.Q. Final JP PS1 import.

3. Katamari Damacy - We all know this one. Sequel'd into oblivion, but still like nothing else out there.

4. Industrial Spy: Operation Espionage - I have no idea how to even describe this game, but I really liked it back in the day. Very obscure game by UFO, who in my opinion was a very underrated company, with a lot of solid titles.

In this game you control a party of people, with different abilities. One chic has rollerblades to get around fast, a kid that hacks, a dude with a gun... You break into places, hack them to get around, and steal shit.

This game has pretty bad reviews. My feeling on this is that it was too hard for people, and they gave up before beating the 1st stage. If you made it to stage 2, you probably didn't beat it without the official guide, or some serious dedication. There's really nothing like this game out there. At least that I have ever heard of. If you dedicate the time to it, it's a solid game, not amazing by any means, but worth trying for something different.

Last edited:

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Immercenary for 3DO- a console exclusive MMO-ffline FPS. Detailed in great length at hg101.

Last edited:

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Yuji Naka made some strange but cool games on the Wii.

Ivy the Kiwi?

Let's Tap:

And possibly my favorite fishing game, Fishing Resort:

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
Pocket Jockey — 3DS downloadable game where you breed horses, race them, and play solitaire.

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I don't know if this is what's called a "good" game or even a "game" per se, but it's fucking wacky:

You should rent it at your local Blockbuster or just download it online and use an emulator. I wouldn't recommend giving people money for it.

Last edited:

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Katamari all day.

snes_collector

NAM-75 Vet
10 Year Member
Animal Crossing is pretty much on its own imo. Great especially if you want something relaxing

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Harvest Moon comes pretty close sometimes but yeah, Animal Crossing is pretty unique.

Stardew Valley, the best Harvest Moon imitator ever. Spent hours and hours doing pointless stuff in this game but had a ton of fun doing it.

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
It was Top Secret Episode that had the fucking. Though it's just innuendo since you just see them come together from the window and the lights go out. Still for it's time that was a big deal. I never got around to playing the Mafiat Conspiracy.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
999 was fairly unique for it's time, and it's one of my favorite DS games, sparking a fantastic series. Twisting narrative, multiple endings, and puzzles that really made you think we're exceptional