Type O Negative Appreciation Thread

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
To continue from our posts in the "October is..." thread, here's our Type O Negative Appreciation Thread. Please feel free to include side projects and former bands in the discussion as well.

Lead singer Peter Steele's death in 2010 came as a shock to me. By then, I had stopped following Type O Negative as albums usually took 3-4 years to release, and I wasn't a fan of Dead Again.

The live DVD, Symphony for the Devil, was previously a heavily bootlegged concert that itself is worth checking out for their rendition of "Back in the USSR." I had it, but it's stored away somewhere.

Peter Steele's previous bands Fallout and Carnivore are worth listening to, as the former included Josh Silver just before Type O Negative was fully formed, and the latter was more of a departure from his later work as it was an 80s heavy metal band.

First track: My Girlfriend's Girlfriend
Best track: Red Water
Best album: World Coming Down
Best mention track: Hey Pete

Last edited:

Carless Walker

Kabuki Klasher
To continue from our posts in the "October is..." thread, here's our Type O Negative Appreciation Thread. Please feel free to include side projects and former bands in the discussion as well.

Lead singer Peter Steele's death in 2010 came as a shock to me. By then, I had stopped following Type O Negative as albums usually took 3-4 years to release, and I wasn't a fan of Dead Again.

The live DVD, Symphony for the Devil, was previously a heavily bootlegged concert that itself is worth checking out for their rendition of "Back in the USSR." I had it, but it's stored away somewhere.

Peter Steele's previous bands Fallout and Carnivore are worth listening to, as the former included Josh Silver just before Type O Negative was fully formed, and the latter was more of a departure from his later work as it was an 80s heavy metal band.

First track: My Girlfriend's Girlfriend
Best track: Red Water
Best album: World Coming Down
Best mention track: Hey Pete

You started and ended a thread with one post. Well played sir, well played.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
and the latter was more of a departure from his later work as it was an 80s heavy metal band.

Also this kind of reads as oversimplified and dismissive. Though from the 80's, I wouldn't say that Carnivore played "80's heavy metal".

JoeAwesome

Zero Type O fans expressed appreciation for post #19
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?252581-Giving-Blood

I wasn't here, so that's my excuse. Reminds me of the story of Steele's Playgirl shoot, and him subsequently finding out the percentage of subscribers were men.

You started and ended a thread with one post. Well played sir, well played.

With Steele's death in 2010, the band ceased to continue. It's very likely this thread will come to an end sooner than later.

Also this kind of reads as oversimplified and dismissive. Though from the 80's, I wouldn't say that Carnivore played "80's heavy metal".

Quite simplified, but unintentionally dismissive. I enjoyed most of the Carnivore catalog and easily appreciate Steele's lyrics in something like "Race War." My post wasn't meant to be conclusive, but to encourage rudimentary discussion.

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
As I said in the October thread, Anesthesia is my favourite song. Sure it's one of their later tracks, but it embodies everything about Type O Negative for me. R.I.P Petrus.

Odd picks, must be a later Type O fan.

Like that bears any relevance at all.

Last edited:

JoeAwesome

As I said in the October thread, Anesthesia is my favourite song. Sure it's one of their later tracks, but it embodies everything about Type O Negative for me. R.I.P Petrus.

It's definitely my favorite track on the album. In fact, I'll go relisten to the album, now.

Last edited:

ReplicaX

Unholy Custom Rank.,
15 Year Member
I first heard the band in 1992 with Prelude to Agony and listened to them ever since.
Saw them live in 1997 at Ozzfest.
Best heard live: Wolf Moon
Favorite song: a hard choice, Anesthesia
Best Album: October Rust
Best mention song?: Green Man (About Peter, his love for nature and its seasons, working for NYC Parks Dept.
Favorite cover song: Pictures of Matchstick Men (unreleased, Peter on vocals) was used in the Private Parts soundtrack /w Ozzy on vocals. Peter was better and his tracks weren't even mastered.

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
I saw them live at OzzFest '97 as well. Hadn't heard of them before that, so it was my initiation into Type O. It was so striking to hear that deeeeeep voice, but it made the band unique and fit so perfectly with their low-tuned guitars. I was also stunned and saddened when Peter passed away.

Best Album:October Rust
Best Song:Love You To Death

\m/

JoeAwesome

Steele put the worst moments of his life into lyrics, and the band did a damn fine job of putting music to it. I only got to see them once around '04 (with Lacuna Coil). I missed them in a later tour with Cradle of Filth. The band put out albums that were worth listening to from end to end (an underappreciated accomplishment for artists, imo), and their presence live often matched, or surpassed, their intensity on recordings.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
My favourite band (along with Alice in Chains but whereas I will listen to TON a lot to this way, I don't tend to listen to AiC much now). You can find a similar quest for sound with A Pale Horse Named Death, Sal Abruscato's more recent band, but it just sounds derivative.
Life of Agony is a close contemporary.
Started to listen to them mid90s
TON where such an interesting band. I don't personally like to rationalize what the lyrics aluded to and all that. The soundscapes they created where/are enough.
Not much else worth listening to in the realm they inhabited, but I'll get a somewhat similar fix from a few Paradise Lost albums, some Sisters of Mercy, some Chelsea Wolfe (though her sound is contrived)

Last edited:

JoeAwesome

Sisters of Mercy

A band reinvented on every album, and very different now than their last official recordings. Understandably, as Eldritch has changed the lineup dozens of times. They get a lot of mentions by bands, but it's not often I'll hear someone on this forum mention them.

Splitt442

Raiden's Valet
10 Year Member
First track: Christian Woman
Best track: Der Untersmensch
Best album: Bloody Kisses Digipak
Best mention track: Summer Girl

F4U57

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
This was my first introduction to Type O, from the Mortal Kombat Soundtrack. I still think this sounds better than the original.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I think Bloody Kisses is my favourite Type 0 Negative song. So epic, but at the same time grounded and sincere.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
Carnivore were great, cro-mags did a pretty awesome tribute show last year. Rip