Fist of the North Star: Lost Paradise

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
Do you like the Yakuza games?

Do you like Fist of the North Star?

If you like either of these things, you will have a great time with this game.

If you like both of them, you simply cannot live without it.

For those of you that like Yakuza but don't know about FOTNS, don't worry The game tells the origin story very efficiently and establishes the series' themes and premise effortlessly.

I was, in fact, surprised to react as strongly as I did to Kenshiro's suffering at Shin's hands. This is a story I've experienced many times, in many mediums, and yet I may have been more moved by this iteration than any other except for the movie's interpretation.

Maybe it's because I'm older now and I see more going on than simply a revenge tale through a set of wiser eyes, more finely attuned to evaluating escapism than before, but man was it a stirring version.

But don't go on thinking that this game is somehow a purely grim and humorless experience. This is, after all, a Yakuza game when it comes to mechanics and engagement. There is going to be some silly stuff here.

But let me stress that Kazuma Kiryu, Yakuza's protagonist, is a character with a very serious and bloody story but the sillier elements of his games don't diminish his potency as a respectable, mature hero. What I'm saying is that Kiryu's most important concepts are above the absurdity of some of his games' activities.

So it is with Kenshiro and FOTNS: LP.

Remarkable experience. Just wish I didn't have other responsibilities to attend to so that I could really dive into it. Once I get done with a few other obligations, this will be the game I give myself over to completely.

HDRchampion

Before you sell me something, ask how well my baby
10 Year Member
I thought this was only an import, probably pick this up tomorrow...

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
If Amazon still offered a discount for pre orders I’d have this. But I have enough games in the pipe to wait for a price drop. As much as I love the Yakuza games I’ll need this in my life eventually.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
I was, in fact, surprised to react as strongly as I did to Kenshiro's suffering at Shin's hands. This is a story I've experienced many times, in many mediums, and yet I may have been more moved by this iteration than any other except for the movie's interpretation.

I'm also surprised you were moved by this. I'm watching a longplay of it and it seemed a bit rushed, and the biggest disappointment is, of course, still being unable to show fingers go inside a man. It will show the fingers already inside with blood spraying, it will show the fingers touching the chest, but we are still forbidden to see them actually penetrate the flesh.

Also, HNK is the 18th biggest media franchise in the world? Wild if true

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_highest-grossing_media_franchises

Ren-chan

F I R E W A L L, M Y A S S !,
I plan to get this one in the future... right now I am with Spiderman and Destiny 2 along with Final Fantasy 14.
Thing is that I also want Dragon Quest XI... wtb> Time.

Taiso

Remembers The North,
20 Year Member
I'm also surprised you were moved by this. I'm watching a longplay of it and it seemed a bit rushed, and the biggest disappointment is, of course, still being unable to show fingers go inside a man. It will show the fingers already inside with blood spraying, it will show the fingers touching the chest, but we are still forbidden to see them actually penetrate the flesh.

Also, HNK is the 18th biggest media franchise in the world? Wild if true

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_the_highest-grossing_media_franchises

The movie version was the first time I'd ever seen the story. Then I read the Viz localization of the manga and after that found the TV version. I've also seen it in about a billion other video games. But because the movie version was the first one I saw, it resonated with me the most.

Mind you, I'm talking about just that specific scene between Shin and Ken when he got the scars. Not the whole movie, which should have maybe just been the Shin arc.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
It's good, but not as good as the Yakuza series proper.

Renmauzo

MS Paint Master.
10 Year Member
I had pre-ordered the game and it arrived last week, and it's sitting here beside me now, waiting to be played...Mega Man 11 just had to come out at the same time :/

Well, it's Thanksgiving this weekend, so with three days off just around the bend, I will carve out some time to dive into FotNS.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I had pre-ordered the game and it arrived last week, and it's sitting here beside me now, waiting to be played...Mega Man 11 just had to come out at the same time :/

Well, it's Thanksgiving this weekend, so with three days off just around the bend, I will carve out some time to dive into FotNS.

You hace thanksgiving in Canadá?