Best Surge Protectors for 2018?

Salvio007

Mr. Big's Thug
I was doing a bit of research and while I still use some old surge protectors I picked up free from a local Staples that was closing down many years ago, I rather be safe and also invest in something with more room on them.

I currently use APC on my PCs but wanted to know what you folks were using in your game rooms and how do you like them compared to other brands you may have used in the past?

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
I've had good experience with APC.

One monster I had died suddenly after five-six years in the middle of Marvel vs Capcom 3. Another got wrecked when I plugged a portable space heater into it momentarily.Apparently it had a design flaw where if you plugged in something like that it would draw too much voltage, overheat and smoke. It was way too hot to touch. I have two of those still running strong but different models.

In general you want the surge protector to be

Ul certified
clamping voltage 300V or lower
warranty - make sure it has good coverage
joules - the higher the better

If your area has bad power quality or brownouts it might be a good idea to get a good online UPS.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Another got wrecked when I plugged a portable space heater into it momentarily.Apparently it had a design flaw where if you plugged in something like that it would draw too much voltage, overheat and smoke. It was way too hot to touch.
That was likely due to current, not voltage. You can't "draw" more voltage than what is supplied.

Spoiler:
Here is where your 'bergers kicks in and you make an unstable voltage "joke."

massimiliano

ネオジオ,
20 Year Member
APC here as well, XS-1500, love it (cab, Mac, 1084s+console.. almost never at the same time, but even in such case the load indicator never complained)

Salvio007

Mr. Big's Thug
Thanks fellas - I went with another 2 APCs. Honestly can't beat the warranty.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
They are probably all the same chinese board underneath the plastic.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
APC is legit. I have a few. No issues

I have a Belkin surge protector / power strip w/ built in USB for my office. Also has been nice. Keeps USB ports free for phone charging when I am working in there.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
APC is legit. I have a few. No issues

I have a Belkin surge protector / power strip w/ built in USB for my office. Also has been nice. Keeps USB ports free for phone charging when I am working in there.

I use a belkin 12 outlet one for the game room and have never had any issues, thinking of adding another one to not overload it too much.