Best CD based Light Gun Games?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I realized I have no light gun games. Now that I finally got a good CRT, I think I need to pick up a few.

Looking for Dreamcast, PS1, PS2 era stuff.

*** EDIT ***

Just decided to list these in the initial post, in case anyone else is wondering in the future.

====================
====================
PS1:
Best gun = Namco Guncon 1 (Compatible with "SOME" PS2 Guncon games)
Konami games use The Justifier Gun

Time Crisis
Time Crisis Project Titan
Elemental Gearbolt
Point Blank Series (mixed feelings)
Resident Evil survivor (only JP version has Guncon compatibility)
Die Hard Trilogy 1&2 (Not sure which guns are compatible)
Crypt Killer (Does not use Guncon 1)
Project Horned Owl (Does not sue Guncon 1)

====================
====================
PS2:
Best gun = Namco Guncon 2

Time Crisis 2
Time Crisis 3
Ninja Assault (People seem to have mixed feelings)
Dino Stalker (Seems to be a weak title)
Resident Evil Dead Aim (People seem to have mixed feelings)
Lethal Enforcers 1&2

====================
====================
Dreamcast:
Get the official Japanese gun. It was not released in the USA.

House of the Dead 2 (USA version not compatible with JP gun. JP is compatible, but green blood. Euro is, and has red blood)
Confidential Mission
Sega Smash Pack (Virtua Cop 2 included, or stand-alone JP release)
Death Crimson OX (Is it good???)

====================
====================
Sega CD:

Gun = Justifier

Snatcher (Some segments support light gun)

====================
====================
Original XBOX:

Gun = ???

House of the Dead 3 (HOTD 2 is unlockable)

====================
====================
Sega Saturn:

Gun = Justifier

House of the Dead
Area 51
Virtua Cop 1
Virtua Cop 2
Maximum Force
Snatcher (Some segments have Light Gun support)
Policenauts (Some segments, only in this verison have gun support, for "The Stunner" gun. Eng patch exists)

Last edited:

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
House of the Dead Dreamcast (is the wii port better?)

All the Wii light gun games don't feel great using the Wiimote.

Elemental Gearbolt (use to like this back in the day, does it still hold up?)

Oh for sure, it's still got that creepy Panzer Dragoon-esque vibe too.

For PS1:

Grab both Time Crisis games. Project Titan got trashed at release by reviewers but I still liked it, and it's much longer than Time Crisis. The Point Blank games aren't that great single-player imo. There's also Gunfighter: The Legend of Jesse James which is about as dumb as it sounds but it uses the same duck 'n shoot mechanic from Time Crisis, get it for no more than 10 bucks. There were two games I always wanted to play but didn't because they were hard to find and weren't Guncon-compatible - Crypt Killer and Project Horned Owl. PHO was made by the same team who also did the PS1 Ghost in the Shell game, disappointed I never got to play it.

For PS2:

Time Crisis II and 3 were great 'ports' (I say 'ports' because in the case of II it was basically a remake with new graphics), Crisis Zone not so much simply because without the feel of the arcade machine gun original it just wasn't that fun - holding the trigger down the entire time isn't as thrilling as reloading after a few bullets. Vampire Night had a lot of replay value thanks to unlocking all the different kinds of bullets you can use. Ninja Assault is probably the weakest of the bunch, but at least it had different routes to help with replaying it. Dino Stalker and Resident Evil Dead Aim are bad games that used the Guncon 2's d-pad, I applaud Capcom for at least attempting to make games using the D-pad but surprise, on-rails shooters should stay on-rails.

I loved this genre as a teenager. What a bummer that it's all but dead now. Nintendo was an ass for not making Battleclash 3 for the Wii.

Last edited:

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I would disagree with Lonesage and say Point Blank and Res Evil dead aim are alot of fun but thats my personal opinion.
All his other suggestions are pretty solid though ;)
Also Resident Evil Survivor games were on PS1&2 not really that great but they were short and could be a bit of fun.

Other games you could get:

PS1: Area 51, Maximum force, Crypt Killer, Lethal Enforcers 1&2 (Always a classic lol) and Die Hard Trilogy 1&2 had a Lightgun games in there.
PS2: Only ones not mentioned I like were Virtua Cop.
Dreamcast: Only ones I can think of is Death Crimson and Virtua Cop.

TBF the PS 1&2 are the king of console light gun games IMO.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
America didn't get Guncon-compatibility with PS1 RE Survivor, and the PS2 Virtua Cop collection wasn't released here.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
Confidential Mission for Dreamcast shouldn’t be missed. It’s the next evolutionary step for the Virtua Cop games. Loads of fun.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
America didn't get Guncon-compatibility with PS1 RE Survivor, and the PS2 Virtua Cop collection wasn't released here.

Ps2 VirtuaCop collection? Did not know about this. Thank you

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
I don't really have any other games to add, I think the above posts mostly cover everything I've played. On the hardware front, you'll need a few different guns to play everything. On PS1/2 the Guncons are the best. I like the PS1 Guncon the most, it is compatible with some of the Namco PS2 games but not all. Also some of the other PS1 gun games like Die Hard Trilogy will require a different gun, I used some cheap generic PS1/Saturn gun for those. Konami's games used a Justifier, some of the third party guns are compatible.

On the Dreamcast, the guns we got in the US were trash, try to hunt down an official Japanese gun. One thing to note is that the Japanese official gun is not compatible with the US version of House of the Dead 2. You can either get the Japanese version which is still in English but has green blood, or you can get the Euro version which has red blood.

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
Confidential Mission for Dreamcast shouldn’t be missed. It’s the next evolutionary step for the Virtua Cop games. Loads of fun.

Co-sign. It’s a great game, and supports the Dreamcast mouse also.

There’s also Vampire Night on the PS2, it’s in the same vein as HOTD, full of campy voice acting, and it’s a fun game to boot.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I just can't get into the PS1 or Saturn games that much to be honest. I think the graphics of the PS2 games has spoiled me so I find I play that a lot more (and TBH, a couple of the Saturn games have just complete garbage graphics).

PS2 is awesome though - my favorite. I also highly suggest House of the Dead III on Xbox (literally the single playable light gun game on Xbox - unless you count Starsky and Hutch). HotD II is unlockable as well.

I just got a Mad Catz Dream blaster for Dreamcast over the weekend, but have only played HotD II so far - but it's pretty friggin awesome to play it in 480p on a CRT monitor (or multiformat PVM/BVM type monitor). Have to load up some of the other DC games and see how they are.

Last edited:

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
I really like the lightgun games on SEGA Saturn. The SEGA Justifier is a great gun for accuracy and looks badass - even in orange.

Great Saturn lightgun games include: Virtua Cop 1 & 2, Area 51, Maximum Force, and some segments in Policenauts.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Vampire Night is also one I enjoyed on the PS2.

Dochartaigh

Edo Express Delivery Guy
I really like the lightgun games on SEGA Saturn. The SEGA Justifier is a great gun for accuracy and looks badass - even in orange.

Great Saturn lightgun games include: Virtua Cop 1 & 2, Area 51, Maximum Force, and some segments in Policenauts.

Go and check out Crypt Killer - it's amazing...

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
With all the potheads around here I'm surprised more people haven't played a game that has "ganja" as a power up.

*edit*

Derp, I read this as CORPSE Killer, not Crypt Killer. You probably shouldn't play Corpse Killer unless you like bad games.

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
The 3DO has a solid light gun library.

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
XMI4kWg.jpg

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member

2nd'd

often overlooked game.

Wish I still had my DC setup so I can play this game.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Thanks for the help all!

I compiled the suggestions in the initial post, in case anyone in the future is looking for this information.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
If you want Sega CD games Lethal Enforcers, Crime Patrol, Mad Dog Mcree.

There is also Corpse Killer but its a god awful game lol

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
If you don’t mind the Wii games, you can get Ghost Squad and also get LA Machine Gun. Pick up an original Xbox and you got. A good port of House of the Dead 2 & 3