Best CD based Light Gun Games?

Mr Bakaboy

Beast Buster
Isn't Revolution X on PS1 a light gun game? Used to play the arcade game at a Big Lots to kill time now and then. A poor man's Terminator.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
I like PS1, plenty of good light gun/Guncon games like Elemental Gearbolt, Time Crisis 1 (and the lesser known Project Titan), Point Blank 1/2/3.

The_Chosen_One

Buriki One Master
You can add Scud the Disposable Assassin to the Saturn list, but it’s a rough game. Coming from a guy who likes the source material.

ChopstickSamurai

I have earned the, right to PM Rot.,
A few more PS2 import light gun games to add:

Virtua Cop Re-Birth - a collection of both VC games.

Gunvari Collection + Time Crisis - the first TC plus all three Point Blank games.

Death Crimson OX+ - a rerelease of the Dreamcast game. I haven’t played this one yet so I can’t say how it differs.

I love this thread. The PS2 Guncon games are a huge blind spot for me, so I’m excited to get my hands on some of them. I pretty much stopped playing these after the Dreamcast, but picked up a few for the Wii.

Yoshi

20 Year Member
This is a great thread. To me, it represents the last stand for console gaming, as PCs don't handle it well, and you more or less need a dedicated arcade cabinet for light gun games. I have most if not all of the Wii and PS3 games, but I've long sold off everything earlier. This discussion is bringing back fond memories, which are welcome, and temptations, which are less so. The PS2 Virtua Cop Rebirth is one of the few I never played for example.

edit: Loosely related, the progeny of these games can still get me to visit places like Dave & Buster's. For example, it's about time to go look for House of the Dead: Scarlet Dawn.

Last edited:

Azathoth

Galford's Armourer
20 Year Member
There's a PAL PS1 Ghostbusters game that's pretty much rubbish. For Japanese PS1 there's Guntu: Western Front 1944 which is a low budget affair worth a spin, and the two Simple Series: The Gun Shooting games. The first one is alright, a typical low poly count sci-fi type affair, the 2nd is a weird Point Blank style thing I never wrapped my head around. Ghoul Patrol was another spooky Namco entry that plays like a Halloween themed point blank.

I had never heard of the Gunfighter series up until a few years ago. There's a PAL PS2 sequel that's fairly well done. It's basically Time Crisis set in the old West.