Why the GOP is in power.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member

Bannon’s strategy is to speak calm and deliver his points, in the underdog position. This is really smart as it taps into the subconscious desire to side with the David vs Goliath. However, his message is still that there’s virtue in racism because it may allow countries to limit entitlements to the many, by restricting the population size. Specifically citing Italy’s 5 star movement, which has led to some people who have lived their entire life in italy to be expelled for lack of citizenship (my cousin being one of those). Simply put, Bannon is backing populist movements because they tap into stupid people as a strength.

One other point I liked from the video was that Bannon is willing to go into any lions den and fight. Dems don’t do this, and as such, they don’t change minds.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Unfortunately, you may be correct. :oh_no:

that's going to be a crazy election year for sure. The memes and bots are going to freaking explode.

ROKER THEORY:

There is counter propaganda now starting from foreign countries interested in getting their policies passed. So imagine a Russian Troll factory, but now imagine the same shit but in China/Canada/Germany/UK fuck, any country that wants to help shift minds in this country.

ROKER ADVICE:

Grow a beard and move out in the middle of nowhere.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Canada, Germany, UK? lmbo naw. No power or money there.

China, though, has been waging a kind of information war against the US for some years now. It's a huge player on the world stage.

Russia is fucking POOR, period. America's biggest enemy right now is China, who is without a doubt seeking to supplant America as the world's superpower.

Don't ask me why the media in America constantly focuses on Russia, who is like a hillbilly in Kentucky, compared to China, who is now the hillbilly from Kentucky with a quadrillion dollars.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Canada, Germany, UK? lmbo naw. No power or money there.

China, though, has been waging a kind of information war against the US for some years now. It's a huge player on the world stage.

Russia is fucking POOR, period. America's biggest enemy right now is China, who is without a doubt seeking to supplant America as the world's superpower.

Don't ask me why the media in America constantly focuses on Russia, who is like a hillbilly in Kentucky, compared to China, who is now the hillbilly from Kentucky with a quadrillion dollars.

I'm just saying if Russia the "poor" country meddled with their meme attack, what's to stop a counter meme attack from other countries?

Social media sucks.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I'm just saying if Russia the "poor" country meddled with their meme attack, what's to stop a counter meme attack from other countries?

Social media sucks.

Russia is broke and definitely neck. But the troll factory in St Petersburg was real. It’s shut down now and savushkina 55 building is for sale. No one wants it. But the street is nice. Good place for families.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Social media sucks.

Fuckin oath, mate. It sucks seeing people you thought were OK post the most inane, retarded shit on social media. Just this morning saw a guy who is actually fairly intelligent post a link to some story about why 'tiny, little Japan' has so many Noble Prize Winners which then went on to bash actors and then Japan for the Nanking Massacre (surprise! not really).

Mai_Lover

Dodgeball Yakuza
The GOP will stay in power unless the Dems get off of their complacent asses and vote. The world has now found out what really goes on behind closed doors in the Senate. The public is given a show if you will of senators who honor their stations and use pleasing words to their constituents, while forming tribes of complete partisanship and agenda. Take fuckface McConell. They guy promised a full and thorough investigation into Kavanaugh's past, but denied us one important thing: a full and thorough investigation into Kavanaugh's past. It was so limited in scope, that it literally handcuffed the FBI's ability to do anything remotely close. FUCK the GOP, FUCK TRUMP. The White House is so right winged now that it's like having a ballsack with a marble-sized nut on one side, and a wrecking ball-sized nut on the other. Trump won his brass ring because nobody voted from the left or conservative groups. They all thought, "this fucking racist, women hating shitbag won't have a chance" so they didn't vote. They never do. Moral of the story: if you want your candidate to win, GO VOTE. Rant over.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
1. Democratic policy has been to keep corporatism *just* tolerable. There's a mix of reasons for this. Mostly it's because they know how their bread is buttered. They become Wall Street lobbyists and corporate board members just as often as their Republican counterparts. (I mean, these days, Republicans seem as likely to leave politics in order to sell survival buckets and gold.)

They're also scared of looking like the liberal caricature. They govern from the center-right and get called collectivist globalists for it anyway.

2. Lots of people are ready to own themselves to own the libs, which seems to be the entire GOP platform now.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
2. Lots of people are ready to own themselves to own the libs, which seems to be the entire GOP platform now.

Not voting in your best interests of course isn't inherently bad/wrong. It can be magnanimous. I'm not saying that's the current GOP voter, but if all we did was vote in our best interests and use the government to enforce it, we could send this country on the path to bankruptcy in no time.

Oh wait.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Not voting in your best interests of course isn't inherently bad/wrong. It can be magnanimous. I'm not saying that's the current GOP voter, but if all we did was vote in our best interests and use the government to enforce it, we could send this country on the path to bankruptcy in no time.

Oh wait.

Anyone who seeks to grow their own wealth will find it natural to grow the wealth of the society around them.

Adam Smith

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
Hey lithy, how many people that you thought were libertarian have gone all in on this President's tariff-bailout command economy?

The tea party already did a pretty good job of demonstrating this, but if anyone still needed proof that zealous!=doctrinaire, here we are.

Meanwhile, evidence of enlightened self-interest remains elusive.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Hey lithy, how many people that you thought were libertarian have gone all in on this President's tariff-bailout command economy?

The tea party already did a pretty good job of demonstrating this, but if anyone still needed proof that zealous!=doctrinaire, here we are.

Meanwhile, evidence of enlightened self-interest remains elusive.

I think the continued support from the base for the continued Iraq/Afghanistan involvement under Obama and expansion of the use of drone strikes showed the same for my personal experience as the Tea Party effect. My memory at least is that 2008 was dominated by foreign policy, my memory sucks though. In 2020, would truly leftist candidates unseating establishment Democrats produce a similar result?

Honestly, I know very few self-described Libertarians. One I do know would probably more accurately ascribe to some variety of anarchism, but he is willing to suffer the abuses of a libertarian government I guess. He has been pretty stable in his continued criticism for both sides.

However, I also know very few unabashed Trump supporters. Pennsylvania is weird with its open racism combined with ultra-hardline union-driven Democratic straight ticket voter. These are the same people that voted GOP in Tennessee, but I guess they don't see it. There are a few I have talked to and I get the impression that the #winning is the primary reason for their continued support. He is doing 'something' and then at press time it can be looked at as putting the screws to China or California or just about any of the rest of the world because America First. Net effects aren't as important as sending a message. Like most people left and right as long as the Federal Government is doing 'something', then you can react, little consideration for whether or not action was needed in the first place.

Most of my social circle are pretty typical under 40 middle-class, (sub)urban, white, so prime Democratic voter. Most of what I hear isn't interesting enough for me to want to engage, but I also don't think they were swing voters in any previous election either. Trump has just made it easier to talk from a position of morality (moral authority? not sure if what I mean here comes across with those words).

Do you think political identity has really become so ingrained that policy is secondary (maybe even tertiary or lower)? It certainly does seem that most people react to the noise and not the signal (to steal Bannon's line).

Basically, no one wanted to talk about Kavanaugh (because they didn't have anything to talk about) until the allegations, then suddenly everyone has an opinion.

This is rambling, sorry.

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
(1)Most of my social circle are pretty typical under 40 middle-class, (sub)urban, white, so prime Democratic voter. Most of what I hear isn't interesting enough for me to want to engage, but I also don't think they were swing voters in any previous election either. Trump has just made it easier to talk from a position of morality (moral authority? not sure if what I mean here comes across with those words).

(2)Do you think political identity has really become so ingrained that policy is secondary (maybe even tertiary or lower)? It certainly does seem that most people react to the noise and not the signal (to steal Bannon's line).

(3)Basically, no one wanted to talk about Kavanaugh (because they didn't have anything to talk about) until the allegations, then suddenly everyone has an opinion.

This is rambling, sorry.

(1)Righteousness, maybe. :)

(2)I think there are a lot of RAZOs in the world. I think that for a lot of people, if you scratch the surface, there is no policy. There's identity or there's rhetoric, accepted at face value. Certainly that's not everyone, but it's enough of us to fuck everything up. (I wonder if Bannon stole that from Nate Silver or Robert Anton Wilson.)

(3)I guess my thoughts on Kav went from underwhelmed and concerned about his 4th amendment record, to thinking McConnell had doomed us to metagaming court nominations for the rest of time, to wondering why they weren't willing to confirm during the lame duck session (I think the fight was good for their midterm chances, losing a confirmation vote would have been good for their midterm chances, and seating the guy a month out will end up hurting, at least in the house), to realizing that the court couldn't remain credible if he were seated. (That was right around the time he promised that "what goes around, comes around".) It feels cold saying it, but the allegations themselves never really registered.

Last edited: